Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas - Christmas In India - Poem by Rudyard Kipling | Poem Hunter
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
Christmas In India - Poem by Rudyard Kipling
Dim dawn behind the tamerisks -- the sky is saffron-yellow --
As the women in the village grind the corn,
And the parrots seek the riverside, each calling to his fellow
That the Day, the staring Easter Day is born.
Oh the white dust on the highway! Oh the stenches in the byway!
Oh the clammy fog that hovers
And at Home they're making merry 'neath the white and scarlet berry --
What part have India's exiles in their mirth?
Full day begind the tamarisks -- the sky is blue and staring --
As the cattle crawl afield beneath the yoke,
And they bear One o'er the field-path, who is past all hope or caring,
To the ghat below the curling wreaths of smoke.
Call on Rama, going slowly, as ye bear a brother lowly --
Call on Rama -- he may hear, perhaps, your voice!
With our hymn-books and our psalters we appeal to other altars,
And to-day we bid "good Christian men rejoice!"
High noon behind the tamarisks -- the sun is hot above us --
As at Home the Christmas Day is breaking wan.
They will drink our healths at dinner -- those who tell us how they love us,
And forget us till another year be gone!
Oh the toil that knows no breaking! Oh the Heimweh, ceaseless, aching!
Oh the black dividing Sea and alien Plain!
Youth was cheap -- wherefore we sold it.
Gold was good -- we hoped to hold it,
And to-day we know the fulness of our gain.
Grey dusk behind the tamarisks -- the parrots fly together --
As the sun is sinking slowly over Home;
And his last ray seems to mock us shackled in a lifelong tether.
That drags us back how'er so far we roam.
Hard her service, poor her payment -- she is ancient, tattered raiment --
India, she the grim Stepmother of our kind.
If a year of life be lent her, if her temple's shrine we enter,
The door is hut -- we may not look behind.
Black night behind the tamarisks -- the owls begin their chorus --
As the conches from the temple scream and bray.
With the fruitless years behind us, and the hopeless years before us,
Let us honor, O my brother, Christmas Day!
Call a truce, then, to our labors -- let us feast with friends and neighbors,
And be merry as the custom of our caste;
For if "faint and forced the laughter," and if sadness follow after,
We are richer by one mocking Christmas past.
Comments about Christmas In India by Rudyard Kipling
Poems About Christmas
- 1. A Child's Christmas In Wales , Dylan Thomas
- 2. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 3. A Christmas Ghost Story. , Thomas Hardy
- 4. Christmas Eve , Anne Sexton
- 5. Christmas Carol , Sara Teasdale
- 6. Christmas Bells , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 7. A Family Christmas , Ernestine Northover
- 8. Jest 'Fore Christmas , Eugene Field
- 9. Christmas - A Little Friend's Poem - Wri.. , Ernestine Northover
- 10. Christmas , John Clare
- 11. Christmas Party At The South Danbury Chu.. , Donald Hall
- 12. A Christmas Tree! A Christmas Tree! , David Keig
- 13. Christmas In India , Rudyard Kipling
- 14. Christmas Fancies , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 15. A Christmas Carol , William Topaz McGonagall
- 16. What Reminds You Of Christmas? , Ernestine Northover
- 17. Remembrance Of Christmas Past , Judith Viorst
- 18. Christmas Is Really For The Children , Steve Turner
- 19. Lines For A Christmas Card , Hilaire Belloc
- 20. Our Christmas Tree , Ernestine Northover
- 21. Having Lost My Sons, I Confront The Wrec.. , James Arlington Wright
- 22. Sam's Christmas Pudding , Marriott Edgar
- 23. Christmas - Senryus , Ernestine Northover
- 24. Christmas Spirit , Paul Moosberg
- 25. Christmas Holidays , Thomas Hood
- 26. From The Short Story A Christmas Dream, .. , Louisa May Alcott
- 27. This Section Is A Christmas Tree , Vachel Lindsay
- 28. A Christmas Carol, Sung To The King In T.. , Robert Herrick
- 29. Music On Christmas Morning , Anne Brontë
- 30. Christmas At Mel’s , C.J. Heck
- 31. A Christmas Carol , George Wither
- 32. The Christmas Night , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 33. A Tale Of Christmas Eve , William Topaz McGonagall
- 34. Baby's First Christmas (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 35. Christmas At The Orphanage , Bill Knott
- 36. The Cast Of Christmas Reassembles For Ea.. , Steve Turner
- 37. A Christmas Wish , David Keig
- 38. A Hymn For Christmas Day , Thomas Chatterton
- 39. The House Of Christmas , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 40. A White Christmas , Carla Jean Laglia Esely
- 41. Christmas , Henry Timrod
- 42. Christmas Treasures , Eugene Field
- 43. Modern Love Xxiii: 'Tis Christmas Weather , George Meredith
- 44. Christmas Spirit , Tess Gurney
- 45. The Greatest Birthday (Christmas Chris.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 46. The Christmas-Box , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 47. ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Christmas Card(Being An .. , Dónall Dempsey
- 48. (728) Christmas Joy , Melvina Germain
- 49. Christmas , Julia Ann Moore
- 50. For Christmas Day , Charles Wesley
New Christmas Poems
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Mirela Athanas
- Poem-00- The Truth About Christmas Is No.., JOJO WELLS
- Christmas Carol, S.D. TIWARI
- The Thirteen Days Of Christmas, David Wood
- Christmas All Around, Dorsey Baker
- The Little Christmas Tree, LONDIS CARPENTER
- Christmas., David Boyce
- Christmas Time Is Here, Abdulai S kamara (ABACHA)
- My Christmas, Trina Graves
- This Is Christmas, Dorsey Baker
- carpe diem