Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas - Christmas In India - Poem by Rudyard Kipling | Poem Hunter
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
Christmas In India - Poem by Rudyard Kipling
Dim dawn behind the tamerisks -- the sky is saffron-yellow --
As the women in the village grind the corn,
And the parrots seek the riverside, each calling to his fellow
That the Day, the staring Easter Day is born.
Oh the white dust on the highway! Oh the stenches in the byway!
Oh the clammy fog that hovers
And at Home they're making merry 'neath the white and scarlet berry --
What part have India's exiles in their mirth?
Full day begind the tamarisks -- the sky is blue and staring --
As the cattle crawl afield beneath the yoke,
And they bear One o'er the field-path, who is past all hope or caring,
To the ghat below the curling wreaths of smoke.
Call on Rama, going slowly, as ye bear a brother lowly --
Call on Rama -- he may hear, perhaps, your voice!
With our hymn-books and our psalters we appeal to other altars,
And to-day we bid "good Christian men rejoice!"
High noon behind the tamarisks -- the sun is hot above us --
As at Home the Christmas Day is breaking wan.
They will drink our healths at dinner -- those who tell us how they love us,
And forget us till another year be gone!
Oh the toil that knows no breaking! Oh the Heimweh, ceaseless, aching!
Oh the black dividing Sea and alien Plain!
Youth was cheap -- wherefore we sold it.
Gold was good -- we hoped to hold it,
And to-day we know the fulness of our gain.
Grey dusk behind the tamarisks -- the parrots fly together --
As the sun is sinking slowly over Home;
And his last ray seems to mock us shackled in a lifelong tether.
That drags us back how'er so far we roam.
Hard her service, poor her payment -- she is ancient, tattered raiment --
India, she the grim Stepmother of our kind.
If a year of life be lent her, if her temple's shrine we enter,
The door is hut -- we may not look behind.
Black night behind the tamarisks -- the owls begin their chorus --
As the conches from the temple scream and bray.
With the fruitless years behind us, and the hopeless years before us,
Let us honor, O my brother, Christmas Day!
Call a truce, then, to our labors -- let us feast with friends and neighbors,
And be merry as the custom of our caste;
For if "faint and forced the laughter," and if sadness follow after,
We are richer by one mocking Christmas past.
Comments about Christmas In India by Rudyard Kipling
Poems About Christmas
- 1. A Child's Christmas In Wales , Dylan Thomas
- 2. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 3. Christmas Eve , Anne Sexton
- 4. Christmas Bells , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 5. A Christmas Ghost Story. , Thomas Hardy
- 6. Christmas Carol , Sara Teasdale
- 7. A Christmas Tree! A Christmas Tree! , David Keig
- 8. A Family Christmas , Ernestine Northover
- 9. Jest 'Fore Christmas , Eugene Field
- 10. Christmas In India , Rudyard Kipling
- 11. Christmas , John Clare
- 12. Christmas - A Little Friend's Poem - Wri.. , Ernestine Northover
- 13. Christmas Party At The South Danbury Chu.. , Donald Hall
- 14. Remembrance Of Christmas Past , Judith Viorst
- 15. What Reminds You Of Christmas? , Ernestine Northover
- 16. Our Christmas Tree , Ernestine Northover
- 17. A Christmas Carol , William Topaz McGonagall
- 18. Christmas Fancies , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 19. Lines For A Christmas Card , Hilaire Belloc
- 20. Sam's Christmas Pudding , Marriott Edgar
- 21. Christmas Spirit , Paul Moosberg
- 22. Christmas Is Really For The Children , Steve Turner
- 23. From The Short Story A Christmas Dream, .. , Louisa May Alcott
- 24. Having Lost My Sons, I Confront The Wrec.. , James Arlington Wright
- 25. Christmas - Senryus , Ernestine Northover
- 26. Music On Christmas Morning , Anne Brontë
- 27. Christmas Holidays , Thomas Hood
- 28. This Section Is A Christmas Tree , Vachel Lindsay
- 29. A Hymn For Christmas Day , Thomas Chatterton
- 30. A Christmas Wish , David Keig
- 31. The Christmas Night , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 32. A Christmas Carol, Sung To The King In T.. , Robert Herrick
- 33. A Tale Of Christmas Eve , William Topaz McGonagall
- 34. Christmas At Mel’s , C.J. Heck
- 35. Baby's First Christmas (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 36. A Christmas Carol , George Wither
- 37. Christmas At The Orphanage , Bill Knott
- 38. The House Of Christmas , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 39. The Greatest Birthday (Christmas Chris.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 40. The Christmas-Box , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 41. The Cast Of Christmas Reassembles For Ea.. , Steve Turner
- 42. Christmas , Henry Timrod
- 43. Christmas Treasures , Eugene Field
- 44. Modern Love Xxiii: 'Tis Christmas Weather , George Meredith
- 45. (728) Christmas Joy , Melvina Germain
- 46. Christmas Spirit , Tess Gurney
- 47. The Mistletoe (A Christmas Tale) , Mary Darby Robinson
- 48. A White Christmas , Carla Jean Laglia Esely
- 49. Christmas In Australia , Victor James Daley
- 50. ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Christmas Card(Being An .. , Dónall Dempsey
New Christmas Poems
- Christmas Is All Of Us, Dorsey Baker
- Christmas For Christmas, Dorsey Baker
- Christmas Is Here, Dorsey Baker
- Poem-00- The Truth About Christmas Is No.., JOJO WELLS
- Christmas Carol, S.D. TIWARI
- The Thirteen Days Of Christmas, David Wood
- Christmas All Around, Dorsey Baker
- The Little Christmas Tree, LONDIS CARPENTER
- Christmas., David Boyce
- Christmas Time Is Here, Abdulai S kamara (ABACHA)
- carpe diem