Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas - Sam's Christmas Pudding - Poem by Marriott Edgar | Poem Hunter
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
Sam's Christmas Pudding - Poem by Marriott Edgar
It was Christmas Day in the trenches
In Spain in Penninsular War,
And Sam Small were cleaning his musket
A thing as he'd ne're done before.
They'd had 'em inspected that morning
And Sam had got into disgrace,
For when sergeant had looked down the barrel
A sparrow flew out in his face.
The sergeant reported the matter
To Lieutenant Bird then and there.
Said Lieutenant 'How very disgusting'
The Duke must be told of this 'ere.'
The Duke were upset when he heard
He said, 'I'm astonished, I am.
I must make a most drastic example
There'll be no Christmas pudding for Sam.'
When Sam were informed of his sentence
Surprise, rooted him to the spot.
'Twas much worse than he had expected,
He though as he'd only be shot.
And so he sat cleaning his musket
And polishing barrel and butt.
While the pudding his mother had sent him,
Lay there in the mud at his foot.
Now the centre that Sam's lot were holding
Ran around a place called Badajoz.
Where the Spaniards had put up a bastion
And ooh...! what a bastion it was.
They pounded away all the morning
With canister, grape shot and ball.
But the face of the bastion defied them,
They made no impression at all.
They started again after dinner
Bombarding as hard as they could.
And the Duke brought his own private cannon
But that weren't a ha'pence o' good.
The Duke said, 'Sam, put down thy musket
And help me lay this gun true.'
Sam answered, 'You'd best ask your favours
From them as you give pudding to.'
The Duke looked at Sam so reproachful
'And don't take it that way,' said he.
'Us Generals have got to be ruthless
It hurts me more than it did thee.'
Sam sniffed at these words kind of sceptic,
Then looked down the Duke's private gun.
And said 'We'd best put in two charges,
We'll never bust bastion with one.'
He tipped cannon ball out of muzzle
He took out the wadding and all.
He filled barrel chock full of powder,
Then picked up and replaced the ball.
He took a good aim at the bastion
Then said 'Right-o, Duke, let her fly.'
The cannon nigh jumped off her trunnions,
And up went the bastion, sky high.
The Duke, he weren't 'alf elated
He danced around trench full of glee.
And said, 'Sam, for this gallant action.
You can hot up your pudding for tea.'
Sam looked 'round to pick up his pudding
But it wasn't there, nowhere about.
In the place where he thought he had left it,
Lay the cannon ball he'd just tipped out.
Sam saw in a flash what 'ad happened:
By an unprecedented mishap.
The pudding his mother had sent him,
Had blown Badajoz off map.
That's why fuisilliers wear to this moment
A badge which they think's a grenade.
But they're wrong... it's a brass reproduction,
Of the pudding Sam's mother once made.
Comments about Sam's Christmas Pudding by Marriott Edgar
Poems About Christmas
- 1. A Child's Christmas In Wales , Dylan Thomas
- 2. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 3. A Christmas Ghost Story. , Thomas Hardy
- 4. Christmas Eve , Anne Sexton
- 5. Christmas Carol , Sara Teasdale
- 6. Christmas Bells , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 7. A Family Christmas , Ernestine Northover
- 8. Jest 'Fore Christmas , Eugene Field
- 9. Christmas - A Little Friend's Poem - Wri.. , Ernestine Northover
- 10. Christmas , John Clare
- 11. Christmas Party At The South Danbury Chu.. , Donald Hall
- 12. A Christmas Tree! A Christmas Tree! , David Keig
- 13. Christmas In India , Rudyard Kipling
- 14. Christmas Fancies , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 15. A Christmas Carol , William Topaz McGonagall
- 16. What Reminds You Of Christmas? , Ernestine Northover
- 17. Remembrance Of Christmas Past , Judith Viorst
- 18. Christmas Is Really For The Children , Steve Turner
- 19. Lines For A Christmas Card , Hilaire Belloc
- 20. Our Christmas Tree , Ernestine Northover
- 21. Having Lost My Sons, I Confront The Wrec.. , James Arlington Wright
- 22. Sam's Christmas Pudding , Marriott Edgar
- 23. Christmas - Senryus , Ernestine Northover
- 24. Christmas Spirit , Paul Moosberg
- 25. Christmas Holidays , Thomas Hood
- 26. From The Short Story A Christmas Dream, .. , Louisa May Alcott
- 27. This Section Is A Christmas Tree , Vachel Lindsay
- 28. A Christmas Carol, Sung To The King In T.. , Robert Herrick
- 29. Music On Christmas Morning , Anne Brontë
- 30. Christmas At Mel’s , C.J. Heck
- 31. A Christmas Carol , George Wither
- 32. The Christmas Night , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 33. A Tale Of Christmas Eve , William Topaz McGonagall
- 34. Baby's First Christmas (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 35. Christmas At The Orphanage , Bill Knott
- 36. The Cast Of Christmas Reassembles For Ea.. , Steve Turner
- 37. A Christmas Wish , David Keig
- 38. A Hymn For Christmas Day , Thomas Chatterton
- 39. The House Of Christmas , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 40. A White Christmas , Carla Jean Laglia Esely
- 41. Christmas , Henry Timrod
- 42. Christmas Treasures , Eugene Field
- 43. Modern Love Xxiii: 'Tis Christmas Weather , George Meredith
- 44. Christmas Spirit , Tess Gurney
- 45. The Greatest Birthday (Christmas Chris.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 46. The Christmas-Box , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 47. ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Christmas Card(Being An .. , Dónall Dempsey
- 48. (728) Christmas Joy , Melvina Germain
- 49. Christmas , Julia Ann Moore
- 50. For Christmas Day , Charles Wesley
New Christmas Poems
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Mirela Athanas
- Poem-00- The Truth About Christmas Is No.., JOJO WELLS
- Christmas Carol, S.D. TIWARI
- The Thirteen Days Of Christmas, David Wood
- Christmas All Around, Dorsey Baker
- The Little Christmas Tree, LONDIS CARPENTER
- Christmas., David Boyce
- Christmas Time Is Here, Abdulai S kamara (ABACHA)
- My Christmas, Trina Graves
- This Is Christmas, Dorsey Baker
- carpe diem