Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas - Jest 'Fore Christmas - Poem by Eugene Field | Poem Hunter
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
Jest 'Fore Christmas - Poem by Eugene Field
Father calls me William, sister calls me Will,
Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill!
Mighty glad I ain't a girl - ruther be a boy,
Without them sashes, curls, an' things that's worn by Fauntleroy!
Love to chawnk green apples an' go swimmin' in the lake -
Hate to take the castor-ile they give for bellyache!
'Most all the time, the whole year round, there ain't no flies on me,
But jest 'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be!
Got a yeller dog named Sport, sick him on the cat;
First thing she knows she doesn't know where she is at!
Got a clipper sled, an' when us kids goes out to slide,
'Long comes the grocery cart, an' we all hook a ride!
But sometimes when the grocery man is worrited an' cross,
He reaches at us with his whip, an' larrups up his hoss,
An' then I laff an' holler, "Oh, ye never teched me!"
But jest 'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be!
Gran'ma says she hopes that when I git to be a man,
I'll be a missionarer like her oldest brother, Dan,
As was et up by the cannibuls that lives in Ceylon's Isle,
Where every prospeck pleases, an' only man is vile!
But gran'ma she has never been to see a Wild West show,
Nor read the Life of Daniel Boone, or else I guess she'd know
That Buff'lo Bill an' cow-boys is good enough for me!
Excep' jest 'fore Christmas, when I'm good as I kin be!
And then old Sport he hangs around, so solemn-like an' still,
His eyes they seem a-sayin': "What's the matter, little Bill?"
The old cat sneaks down off her perch an' wonders what's become
Of them two enemies of hern that used to make things hum!
But I am so perlite an' 'tend so earnestly to biz,
That mother says to father: "How improved our Willie is!"
But father, havin' been a boy hisself, suspicions me
When, jest 'fore Christmas, I'm as good as I kin be!
For Christmas, with its lots an' lots of candies, cakes, an' toys,
Was made, they say, for proper kids an' not for naughty boys;
So wash yer face an' bresh yer hair, an' mind yer p's and q's,
An' don't bust out yer pantaloons, and don't wear out yer shoes;
Say "Yessum" to the ladies, an' "Yessur" to the men,
An' when they's company, don't pass yer plate for pie again;
But, thinkin' of the things yer'd like to see upon that tree,
Jest 'fore Christmas be as good as yer kin be!
Comments about Jest 'Fore Christmas by Eugene Field
Poems About Christmas
- 1. A Child's Christmas In Wales , Dylan Thomas
- 2. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 3. A Christmas Ghost Story. , Thomas Hardy
- 4. Christmas Eve , Anne Sexton
- 5. Christmas Party At The South Danbury Chu.. , Donald Hall
- 6. Christmas Bells , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 7. Christmas Carol , Sara Teasdale
- 8. Christmas , John Clare
- 9. Jest 'Fore Christmas , Eugene Field
- 10. Lines For A Christmas Card , Hilaire Belloc
- 11. Remembrance Of Christmas Past , Judith Viorst
- 12. Having Lost My Sons, I Confront The Wrec.. , James Arlington Wright
- 13. Christmas - A Little Friend's Poem - Wri.. , Ernestine Northover
- 14. Christmas Is Really For The Children , Steve Turner
- 15. Sam's Christmas Pudding , Marriott Edgar
- 16. Christmas In India , Rudyard Kipling
- 17. A Family Christmas , Ernestine Northover
- 18. What Reminds You Of Christmas? , Ernestine Northover
- 19. Christmas Holidays , Thomas Hood
- 20. A Christmas Tree! A Christmas Tree! , David Keig
- 21. A Christmas Carol , William Topaz McGonagall
- 22. From The Short Story A Christmas Dream, .. , Louisa May Alcott
- 23. Our Christmas Tree , Ernestine Northover
- 24. A Christmas Carol, Sung To The King In T.. , Robert Herrick
- 25. Christmas - Senryus , Ernestine Northover
- 26. Christmas Fancies , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 27. The Christmas Night , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 28. A Hymn For Christmas Day , Thomas Chatterton
- 29. A Tale Of Christmas Eve , William Topaz McGonagall
- 30. Music On Christmas Morning , Anne Brontë
- 31. This Section Is A Christmas Tree , Vachel Lindsay
- 32. A Christmas Carol , George Wither
- 33. The House Of Christmas , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 34. Christmas At Mel’s , C.J. Heck
- 35. Christmas At The Orphanage , Bill Knott
- 36. The Cast Of Christmas Reassembles For Ea.. , Steve Turner
- 37. Christmas Treasures , Eugene Field
- 38. Modern Love Xxiii: 'Tis Christmas Weather , George Meredith
- 39. Christmas Day , John Keble
- 40. The Christmas-Box , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 41. Christmas Spirit , Paul Moosberg
- 42. ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Christmas Card(Being An .. , Dónall Dempsey
- 43. Christmas , Henry Timrod
- 44. First Sunday After Christmas , John Keble
- 45. For Christmas Day , Charles Wesley
- 46. Sir Galahad, A Christmas Mystery , William Morris
- 47. Baby's First Christmas (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 48. The Christmas Beetle , Leon Gellert
- 49. The Mistletoe (A Christmas Tale) , Mary Darby Robinson
- 50. The Christmas Goose , William Topaz McGonagall
New Christmas Poems
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, Mirela Athanas
- Poem-00- The Truth About Christmas Is No.., JOJO WELLS
- Christmas Carol, S.D. TIWARI
- The Thirteen Days Of Christmas, David Wood
- Christmas All Around, Dorsey Baker
- The Little Christmas Tree, LONDIS CARPENTER
- Christmas., David Boyce
- Christmas Time Is Here, Abdulai S kamara (ABACHA)
- My Christmas, Trina Graves
- This Is Christmas, Dorsey Baker
- carpe diem