Christmas Poems - Poems For Christmas - Jest 'Fore Christmas
Poems about christmas. You can read the best christmas poems. Browse through all christmas poems.
Jest 'Fore Christmas - Poem by Eugene Field
Father calls me William, sister calls me Will,
Mother calls me Willie, but the fellers call me Bill!
Mighty glad I ain't a girl - ruther be a boy,
Without them sashes, curls, an' things that's worn by Fauntleroy!
Love to chawnk green apples an' go swimmin' in the lake -
Hate to take the castor-ile they give for bellyache!
'Most all the time, the whole year round, there ain't no flies on me,
But jest 'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be!
Got a yeller dog named Sport, sick him on the cat;
First thing she knows she doesn't know where she is at!
Got a clipper sled, an' when us kids goes out to slide,
'Long comes the grocery cart, an' we all hook a ride!
But sometimes when the grocery man is worrited an' cross,
He reaches at us with his whip, an' larrups up his hoss,
An' then I laff an' holler, "Oh, ye never teched me!"
But jest 'fore Christmas I'm as good as I kin be!
Gran'ma says she hopes that when I git to be a man,
I'll be a missionarer like her oldest brother, Dan,
As was et up by the cannibuls that lives in Ceylon's Isle,
Where every prospeck pleases, an' only man is vile!
But gran'ma she has never been to see a Wild West show,
Nor read the Life of Daniel Boone, or else I guess she'd know
That Buff'lo Bill an' cow-boys is good enough for me!
Excep' jest 'fore Christmas, when I'm good as I kin be!
And then old Sport he hangs around, so solemn-like an' still,
His eyes they seem a-sayin': "What's the matter, little Bill?"
The old cat sneaks down off her perch an' wonders what's become
Of them two enemies of hern that used to make things hum!
But I am so perlite an' 'tend so earnestly to biz,
That mother says to father: "How improved our Willie is!"
But father, havin' been a boy hisself, suspicions me
When, jest 'fore Christmas, I'm as good as I kin be!
For Christmas, with its lots an' lots of candies, cakes, an' toys,
Was made, they say, for proper kids an' not for naughty boys;
So wash yer face an' bresh yer hair, an' mind yer p's and q's,
An' don't bust out yer pantaloons, and don't wear out yer shoes;
Say "Yessum" to the ladies, an' "Yessur" to the men,
An' when they's company, don't pass yer plate for pie again;
But, thinkin' of the things yer'd like to see upon that tree,
Jest 'fore Christmas be as good as yer kin be!
Comments about Jest 'Fore Christmas by Eugene Field
Poems About Christmas
- 1. A Child's Christmas In Wales , Dylan Thomas
- 2. I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 3. Christmas Eve , Anne Sexton
- 4. Christmas Bells , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 5. A Family Christmas , Ernestine Northover
- 6. Christmas Carol , Sara Teasdale
- 7. A Christmas Ghost Story. , Thomas Hardy
- 8. Jest 'Fore Christmas , Eugene Field
- 9. Christmas - A Little Friend's Poem - Wri.. , Ernestine Northover
- 10. Christmas Party At The South Danbury Chu.. , Donald Hall
- 11. Christmas In India , Rudyard Kipling
- 12. A Christmas Tree! A Christmas Tree! , David Keig
- 13. Remembrance Of Christmas Past , Judith Viorst
- 14. A Christmas Carol , William Topaz McGonagall
- 15. Lines For A Christmas Card , Hilaire Belloc
- 16. What Reminds You Of Christmas? , Ernestine Northover
- 17. Sam's Christmas Pudding , Marriott Edgar
- 18. Christmas , John Clare
- 19. Our Christmas Tree , Ernestine Northover
- 20. Having Lost My Sons, I Confront The Wrec.. , James Arlington Wright
- 21. Christmas Spirit , Paul Moosberg
- 22. Christmas Fancies , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 23. Christmas - Senryus , Ernestine Northover
- 24. Christmas Holidays , Thomas Hood
- 25. From The Short Story A Christmas Dream, .. , Louisa May Alcott
- 26. (727) Christmas Past , Melvina Germain
- 27. This Section Is A Christmas Tree , Vachel Lindsay
- 28. A Christmas Carol, Sung To The King In T.. , Robert Herrick
- 29. Christmas At Mel’s , C.J. Heck
- 30. Christmas Is Really For The Children , Steve Turner
- 31. The Christmas Night , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 32. A Tale Of Christmas Eve , William Topaz McGonagall
- 33. Music On Christmas Morning , Anne Brontë
- 34. Baby's First Christmas (Children) , C.J. Heck
- 35. Christmas At The Orphanage , Bill Knott
- 36. A Christmas Wish , David Keig
- 37. A White Christmas , Carla Jean Laglia Esely
- 38. A Christmas Carol , George Wither
- 39. A Hymn For Christmas Day , Thomas Chatterton
- 40. Christmas , Henry Timrod
- 41. Modern Love Xxiii: 'Tis Christmas Weather , George Meredith
- 42. Christmas Treasures , Eugene Field
- 43. Christmas Spirit , Tess Gurney
- 44. The House Of Christmas , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 45. The Christmas-Box , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 46. ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' Christmas Card(Being An .. , Dónall Dempsey
- 47. (728) Christmas Joy , Melvina Germain
- 48. The Greatest Birthday (Christmas Chris.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 49. A Christmas Fancy , Robert Fuller Murray
- 50. For Christmas Day , Charles Wesley
New Christmas Poems
- Christmas Time Is Here, Abdulai S kamara (ABACHA)
- My Christmas, Trina Graves
- This Is Christmas, Dorsey Baker
- Christmas Is Here, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Christmas Eve, Natasha Onken
- Christmas Comes And Christmas Goes, Dorsey Baker
- And Now It's Christmas, Loyd C. Taylor, Sr.
- Christmas Is Love, Dorsey Baker
- Merry Christmas My Love 2, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Is Not Christmas.., Frankie Wills
- carpe diem