City Poems - Poems For City
Poems about city. You can read the best city poems. Browse through all city poems.
The City Of Golf - Poem by Robert Fuller Murray
Would you like to see a city given over,
Soul and body, to a tyrannising game?
If you would, there's little need to be a rover,
For St. Andrews is the abject city's name.
It is surely quite superfluous to mention,
To a person who has been here half an hour,
That Golf is what engrosses the attention
Of the people, with an all-absorbing power.
Rich and poor alike are smitten with the fever;
Their business and religion is to play;
And a man is scarcely deemed a true believer,
Unless he goes at least a round a day.
The city boasts an old and learned college,
Where you'd think the leading industry was Greek;
Even there the favoured instruments of knowledge
Are a driver and a putter and a cleek.
All the natives and the residents are patrons
Of this royal, ancient, irritating sport;
All the old men, all the young men, maids and matrons --
The universal populace, in short.
In the morning, when the feeble light grows stronger,
You may see the players going out in shoals;
And when night forbids their playing any longer,
They tell you how they did the different holes.
Golf, golf, golf -- is all the story!
In despair my overburdened spirit sinks,
Till I wish that every golfer was in glory,
And I pray the sea may overflow the links.
One slender, struggling ray of consolation
Sustains me, very feeble though it be:
There are two who still escape infatuation,
My friend M'Foozle's one, the other's me.
As I write the words, M'Foozle enters blushing,
With a brassy and an iron in his hand ....
This blow, so unexpected and so crushing,
Is more than I am able to withstand.
So now it but remains for me to die, sir.
Stay! There is another course I may pursue --
And perhaps upon the whole it would be wiser --
I will yield to fate and be a golfer too!
Comments about The City Of Golf by Robert Fuller Murray
Poems About City
- 51. The City Of Golf , Robert Fuller Murray
- 52. To The City Of London , William Dunbar
- 53. To The City Of Bombay , Rudyard Kipling
- 54. City Streets , ivor or ivor.e hogg
- 55. Las Vegas, Las Vegas, The City Of The Un.. , Dan Jordan
- 56. A Map Of The City , Thom Gunn
- 57. A City Remembered , Vernon Scannell
- 58. The Burning Of The Steamer City Of Montr.. , William Topaz McGonagall
- 59. City Gent , Craig Raine
- 60. A Brook In The City , john tiong chunghoo
- 61. The House Of Dust: Part 01: 06: Over The.. , Conrad Potter Aiken
- 62. ! ! Winter In The City , Michael Shepherd
- 63. I Still Love The City, But The City Does.. , Alex Gomez
- 64. Shitty Kitty City , Wild Bill Balding
- 65. City Of Music , (kc) ripper
- 66. Asbo City-Fun , Lisa Cresswell Wilkinson
- 67. Night In The City , Ellis Parker Butler
- 68. Wet City Night , Arthur Seymour John Tessimond
- 69. Overheard Through The Walls Of The Invis.. , Frank Bidart
- 70. In A City Garden , Trumbull Stickney
- 71.  City-Bus , Ashraful Musaddeq
- 72. The City Of Sleep , Rudyard Kipling
- 73. (harichandran) 10 Left The City Ayodhya.. , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 74. (harichandran) 12 In The City Of Kasi , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 75. This City , Uriah Hamilton
- 76. My City , ross boss
- 77. City Night , farzana hossain
- 78. My Beautiful City , ross boss
- 79. Spring Song In The City , William Cosmo Monkhouse
- 80. O City, Look The Eastward Way , Enid Derham
- 81. Big City Turkey Day Paper , Bill Grace
- 82. The Desolate City , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 83. London City 1850 Inspired By Duncan Wyllie , sylvia spencer
- 84. Barbarism In Pink City Again , Dr subhendu kar
- 85. The City That Never Sleeps-Is The City T.. , Michael Gale
- 86. Cardboard City. , Graham Jones
- 87. Walk This City. , John Kipling Lewis
- 88. Sunday Chimes In The City , Louise Imogen Guiney
- 89. City Roofs , Charles Hanson Towne
- 90. This City Boy Loves Country , Dewey Nixon
- 91. The City , Charles Hanson Towne
- 92. (i) 4 (Angst) Here In This City , Renu Rakheja a.k.a Tranquil ..
- 93. In The City Of Sorrows , Aldo Kraas
- 94. City- Walk , Indira Renganathan
- 95. Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial , Marilyn Lott
- 96. The Girl From Cebu City , YURI DURAAN
- 97. In This Big City That Never Sleeps, Mone.. , Michael Gale
- 98. Song: Suicide City , David SmithWhite
- 99. (harichandran) 11 Left The City Ayodhya.. , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 100. Travel Haiku - New York City Central Park , john tiong chunghoo
New City Poems
- That's My City, Hyderabad, Jayant Tekumalla
- From the City of the Living to the City .., Martha Lavinia Hoffman
- True Story Of Jerusalem In Verse, RAJ NANDY
- City A Tercet, Muzahidul Reza
- Th City! !, Soumi Mukhopadhyay
- The City Yawns, Tony Adah
- Rush Street Memory, Eric Walsh
- The City, Ghayath Almadhoun
- New York, Morose Mermaid
- Monoku- - 171 ( City- -5), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- carpe diem