Death Poems - Poems For Death - The Death-Bed - Poem by Siegfried Sassoon | Poem Hunter
Poems about death. You can read the best death poems. Browse through all death poems.
The Death-Bed - Poem by Siegfried Sassoon
He drowsed and was aware of silence heaped
Round him, unshaken as the steadfast walls;
Aqueous like floating rays of amber light,
Soaring and quivering in the wings of sleep.
Silence and safety; and his mortal shore
Lipped by the inward, moonless waves of death.
Someone was holding water to his mouth.
He swallowed, unresisting; moaned and dropped
Through crimson gloom to darkness; and forgot
The opiate throb and ache that was his wound.
Water—calm, sliding green above the weir.
Water—a sky-lit alley for his boat,
Bird- voiced, and bordered with reflected flowers
And shaken hues of summer; drifting down,
He dipped contented oars, and sighed, and slept.
Night, with a gust of wind, was in the ward,
Blowing the curtain to a glimmering curve.
Night. He was blind; he could not see the stars
Glinting among the wraiths of wandering cloud;
Queer blots of colour, purple, scarlet, green,
Flickered and faded in his drowning eyes.
Rain—he could hear it rustling through the dark;
Fragrance and passionless music woven as one;
Warm rain on drooping roses; pattering showers
That soak the woods; not the harsh rain that sweeps
Behind the thunder, but a trickling peace,
Gently and slowly washing life away.
He stirred, shifting his body; then the pain
Leapt like a prowling beast, and gripped and tore
His groping dreams with grinding claws and fangs.
But someone was beside him; soon he lay
Shuddering because that evil thing had passed.
And death, who'd stepped toward him, paused and stared.
Light many lamps and gather round his bed.
Lend him your eyes, warm blood, and will to live.
Speak to him; rouse him; you may save him yet.
He's young; he hated War; how should he die
When cruel old campaigners win safe through?
But death replied: 'I choose him.' So he went,
And there was silence in the summer night;
Silence and safety; and the veils of sleep.
Then, far away, the thudding of the guns.
Comments about The Death-Bed by Siegfried Sassoon
Poems About Death
- 1. Let Me Die A Youngman's Death , Roger McGough
- 2. And Death Shall Have No Dominion , Dylan Thomas
- 3. Death Be Not Proud , John Donne
- 4. Death Is Nothing At All , Henry Scott Holland
- 5. Because I Could Not Stop For Death , Emily Dickinson
- 6. A Refusal To Mourn The Death, By Fire, O.. , Dylan Thomas
- 7. Nothing But Death , Pablo Neruda
- 8. A Dream Of Death , William Butler Yeats
- 9. Father Death Blues , Allen Ginsberg
- 10. An Irish Airman Forsees His Death , William Butler Yeats
- 11. A Poet's Death Is His Life Iv , Khalil Gibran
- 12. The Beauty Of Death Xiv , Khalil Gibran
- 13. Death Wants More Death , Charles Bukowski
- 14. Death , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 15. A Death Blow Is A Life Blow To Some , Emily Dickinson
- 16. The Death Of The Ball Turret Gunner , Randall Jarrell
- 17. A City's Death By Fire , Derek Walcott
- 18. A Funeral Poem On The Death Of C. E. An .. , Phillis Wheatley
- 19. After Death , Sara Teasdale
- 20. Death Xxvii , Khalil Gibran
- 21. On The Death Of A Young Lady Of Five Yea.. , Phillis Wheatley
- 22. First Death In Nova Scotia , Elizabeth Bishop
- 23. Gacela Of The Dark Death , Federico García Lorca
- 24. Death Leaves Us Homesick, Who Behind , Emily Dickinson
- 25. A Thought For A Lonely Death-Bed , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 26. The Death Of Joy Gardner , Benjamin Zephaniah
- 27. Go Down, Death , James Weldon Johnson
- 28. A Ballad Of Death , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 29. Death Fugue , Paul Celan
- 30. Holy Sonnet X: Death Be Not Proud , John Donne
- 31. I Have A Rendezvous With Death , Alan Seeger
- 32. Death &Amp; Fame , Allen Ginsberg
- 33. On Death , Anne Killigrew
- 34. The Death Of The Hired Man , Robert Frost
- 35. Love &Amp; Fame &Amp; Death , Charles Bukowski
- 36. On The Death Of Anne Brontë , Charlotte Brontë
- 37. For The Anniversary Of My Death , William Stanley Merwin
- 38. Fugue Of Death , Paul Celan
- 39. If Death Is Kind , Sara Teasdale
- 40. On The Death Of That Most Excellent Lady, , Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz
- 41. Death , Heinrich Heine
- 42. On Hearing Of A Death , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 43. As At Thy Portals Also Death , Walt Whitman
- 44. Death , William Butler Yeats
- 45. An Elegy On The Death Of Kenneth Patchen , Lawrence Ferlinghetti
- 46. The Death Of The Flowers , William Cullen Bryant
- 47. Death Stands Above Me, Whispering Low , Walter Savage Landor
- 48. A Death-Bed , Rudyard Kipling
- 49. Death Of A Cockroach , Robert William Service
- 50. A Satirical Elegy On The Death Of A Late.. , Jonathan Swift
New Death Poems
- Death Is No Joke, Hebert Logerie
- Death Is When You Milk It, James McLain
- Death Remembered, Clinton Siegle
- Good Mourning, vasyl miller
- ah tamanrasset southwards oh death, antoine de kom
- Monoku...291, SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- He That Loves Life And Also Loves Death .., Joshua Aaron Guillory
- He That Loves Life Also Loves Death Beca.., Joshua Aaron Guillory
- Death Shall Die, Qiniso Mogale
- Life = Death - Volume 8 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- carpe diem