Death Poems - Poems For Death - Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death
Poems about death. You can read the best death poems. Browse through all death poems.
Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death - Poem by Novalis
Longing for Death
Into the bosom of the earth,
Out of the Light's dominion,
Death's pains are but a bursting forth,
Sign of glad departure.
Swift in the narrow little boat,
Swift to the heavenly shore we float.
Blessed be the everlasting Night,
And blessed the endless slumber.
We are heated by the day too bright,
And withered up with care.
We're weary of a life abroad,
And we now want our Father's home.
What in this world should we all
Do with love and with faith?
That which is old is set aside,
And the new may perish also.
Alone he stands and sore downcast
Who loves with pious warmth the Past.
The Past where the light of the senses
In lofty flames did rise;
Where the Father's face and hand
All men did recognize;
And, with high sense, in simplicity
Many still fit the original pattern.
The Past wherein, still rich in bloom,
Man's strain did burgeon glorious,
And children, for the world to come,
Sought pain and death victorious,
And, through both life and pleasure spake,
Yet many a heart for love did break.
The Past, where to the flow of youth
God still showed himself,
And truly to an early death
Did commit his sweet life.
Fear and torture patiently he bore
So that he would be loved forever.
With anxious yearning now we see
That Past in darkness drenched,
With this world's water never we
Shall find our hot thirst quenched.
To our old home we have to go
That blessed time again to know.
What yet doth hinder our return
To loved ones long reposed?
Their grave limits our lives.
We are all sad and afraid.
We can search for nothing more --
The heart is full, the world is void.
Infinite and mysterious,
Thrills through us a sweet trembling --
As if from far there echoed thus
A sigh, our grief resembling.
Our loved ones yearn as well as we,
And sent to us this longing breeze.
Down to the sweet bride, and away
To the beloved Jesus.
Have courage, evening shades grow gray
To those who love and grieve.
A dream will dash our chains apart,
And lay us in the Father's lap.
Comments about Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death by Novalis
Poems About Death
- 1. Let Me Die A Youngman's Death , Roger McGough
- 2. And Death Shall Have No Dominion , Dylan Thomas
- 3. Death Be Not Proud , John Donne
- 4. Death Is Nothing At All , Henry Scott Holland
- 5. Because I Could Not Stop For Death , Emily Dickinson
- 6. A Refusal To Mourn The Death, By Fire, O.. , Dylan Thomas
- 7. Nothing But Death , Pablo Neruda
- 8. Father Death Blues , Allen Ginsberg
- 9. Death Wants More Death , Charles Bukowski
- 10. A Death Blow Is A Life Blow To Some , Emily Dickinson
- 11. A Poet's Death Is His Life Iv , Khalil Gibran
- 12. A Dream Of Death , William Butler Yeats
- 13. An Irish Airman Forsees His Death , William Butler Yeats
- 14. The Death Of The Ball Turret Gunner , Randall Jarrell
- 15. The Beauty Of Death Xiv , Khalil Gibran
- 16. A Funeral Poem On The Death Of C. E. An .. , Phillis Wheatley
- 17. A City's Death By Fire , Derek Walcott
- 18. After Death , Sara Teasdale
- 19. On The Death Of A Young Lady Of Five Yea.. , Phillis Wheatley
- 20. Death Xxvii , Khalil Gibran
- 21. Death , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 22. First Death In Nova Scotia , Elizabeth Bishop
- 23. Death Leaves Us Homesick, Who Behind , Emily Dickinson
- 24. Go Down, Death , James Weldon Johnson
- 25. I Have A Rendezvous With Death , Alan Seeger
- 26. A Ballad Of Death , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 27. Gacela Of The Dark Death , Federico García Lorca
- 28. The Death Of Joy Gardner , Benjamin Zephaniah
- 29. A Thought For A Lonely Death-Bed , Elizabeth Barrett Browning
- 30. For The Anniversary Of My Death , William Stanley Merwin
- 31. On The Death Of That Most Excellent Lady, , Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz
- 32. On Death , Anne Killigrew
- 33. The Death Of The Hired Man , Robert Frost
- 34. Death &Amp; Fame , Allen Ginsberg
- 35. On The Death Of Anne Brontë , Charlotte Brontë
- 36. Love &Amp; Fame &Amp; Death , Charles Bukowski
- 37. Death Fugue , Paul Celan
- 38. Holy Sonnet X: Death Be Not Proud , John Donne
- 39. As At Thy Portals Also Death , Walt Whitman
- 40. Death , Heinrich Heine
- 41. On Hearing Of A Death , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 42. If Death Is Kind , Sara Teasdale
- 43. Death Of A Cockroach , Robert William Service
- 44. All But Death, Can Be Adjusted , Emily Dickinson
- 45. Don'T Fear Death , Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
- 46. Fugue Of Death , Paul Celan
- 47. Death , William Butler Yeats
- 48. An Elegy On The Death Of A Mad Dog , Oliver Goldsmith
- 49. On The Death Of Rev. Mr. George Whitefield , Phillis Wheatley
- 50. A Death-Bed , Rudyard Kipling
New Death Poems
- Death Shall Die, Qiniso Mogale
- Humanity Was Ultimately Meant To Die! Sa.., Ontomu William
- Life = Death - Volume 8 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 6 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 5 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 2 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 1 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- You Die; I Die - Love Poems - Part 16, Nikhil Parekh
- 1 God - Poems On God, Creator - Volume 4, Nikhil Parekh
- 1 God - Poems On God, Creator - Volume 1, Nikhil Parekh
- carpe diem