Death Poems - Poems For Death
Poems about death. You can read the best death poems. Browse through all death poems.
Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death - Poem by Novalis
Longing for Death
Into the bosom of the earth,
Out of the Light's dominion,
Death's pains are but a bursting forth,
Sign of glad departure.
Swift in the narrow little boat,
Swift to the heavenly shore we float.
Blessed be the everlasting Night,
And blessed the endless slumber.
We are heated by the day too bright,
And withered up with care.
We're weary of a life abroad,
And we now want our Father's home.
What in this world should we all
Do with love and with faith?
That which is old is set aside,
And the new may perish also.
Alone he stands and sore downcast
Who loves with pious warmth the Past.
The Past where the light of the senses
In lofty flames did rise;
Where the Father's face and hand
All men did recognize;
And, with high sense, in simplicity
Many still fit the original pattern.
The Past wherein, still rich in bloom,
Man's strain did burgeon glorious,
And children, for the world to come,
Sought pain and death victorious,
And, through both life and pleasure spake,
Yet many a heart for love did break.
The Past, where to the flow of youth
God still showed himself,
And truly to an early death
Did commit his sweet life.
Fear and torture patiently he bore
So that he would be loved forever.
With anxious yearning now we see
That Past in darkness drenched,
With this world's water never we
Shall find our hot thirst quenched.
To our old home we have to go
That blessed time again to know.
What yet doth hinder our return
To loved ones long reposed?
Their grave limits our lives.
We are all sad and afraid.
We can search for nothing more --
The heart is full, the world is void.
Infinite and mysterious,
Thrills through us a sweet trembling --
As if from far there echoed thus
A sigh, our grief resembling.
Our loved ones yearn as well as we,
And sent to us this longing breeze.
Down to the sweet bride, and away
To the beloved Jesus.
Have courage, evening shades grow gray
To those who love and grieve.
A dream will dash our chains apart,
And lay us in the Father's lap.
Comments about Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death by Novalis
Poems About Death
- 51. Hymns To The Night : 6 : Longing For Death , Novalis
- 52. On The Death Of A Youn Gentleman , Phillis Wheatley
- 53. Death, That Struck When I Was Most Confi.. , Emily Jane Brontë
- 54. A Satirical Elegy On The Death Of A Late.. , Jonathan Swift
- 55. An Elegy On The Death Of Kenneth Patchen , Lawrence Ferlinghetti
- 56. On Death , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 57. On The Death Of Rev. Mr. George Whitefield , Phillis Wheatley
- 58. Death Is A Dialogue Between , Emily Dickinson
- 59. An Elegy On The Death Of A Mad Dog , Oliver Goldsmith
- 60. Death The Leveller , James Shirley
- 61. On The Death Of Friends In Childhood , Donald Justice
- 62. Sonnet 66: Tired With All These, For Res.. , William Shakespeare
- 63. The Morning That Death Was Killed , Steve Turner
- 64. Don'T Fear Death , Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Blok
- 65. Ode On The Death Of A Favourite Cat Drow.. , Thomas Gray
- 66. A Baby's Death , Algernon Charles Swinburne
- 67. Death Of A Poet , Ronald Stuart Thomas
- 68. Passing On (Death Death Death Death De.. , Udiah (witness to Yah)
- 69. On The Death Of Dr. Samuel Marshall , Phillis Wheatley
- 70. The Death-Bed , Siegfried Sassoon
- 71. The Death Of The Flowers , William Cullen Bryant
- 72. Death Stands Above Me, Whispering Low , Walter Savage Landor
- 73. Death Is Here And Death Is There , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 74. Death Sets A Thing Of Signigicant , Emily Dickinson
- 75. O Death, O Death, Rock Me Asleep , Anonymous
- 76. Death Snips Proud Men , Carl Sandburg
- 77. The Death Of Autumn , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 78. Apparent Death , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 79. The Dance Of Death , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 80. A Death - Scene , Emily Jane Brontë
- 81. Enemy Of Death , Salvatore Quasimodo
- 82. Laughter And Death , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 83. Bereavement In Their Death To Feel , Emily Dickinson
- 84. Death Is Potential To That Man , Emily Dickinson
- 85. For Death—or Rather , Emily Dickinson
- 86. On The Death Of J.C. An Infant , Phillis Wheatley
- 87. On The Death Of Mr. Robert Levet, A Prac.. , Samuel Johnson
- 88. Extempore Effusion Upon The Death Of Jam.. , William Wordsworth
- 89. The Death And Last Confession Of Wanderi.. , Hilaire Belloc
- 90. Whispers Of Heavenly Death , Walt Whitman
- 91. No. 101 (On His Brother's Death) , Gaius Valerius Catullus
- 92. Death Of A Believer , Rudyard Kipling
- 93. Death , Yaseen Anwer
- 94. The Death Of Lincoln , William Cullen Bryant
- 95. Love And Death , Sara Teasdale
- 96. Death , Thomas Hood
- 97. Death , James Henry Leigh Hunt
- 98. Death , Bill Knott
- 99. In Memoriam 82: I Wage Not Any Feud With.. , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 100. A Death Song , William Morris
New Death Poems
- Death Shall Die, Qiniso Mogale
- Humanity Was Ultimately Meant To Die! Sa.., Ontomu William
- Life = Death - Volume 8 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 6 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 5 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 2 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- Life = Death - Volume 1 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- You Die; I Die - Love Poems - Part 16, Nikhil Parekh
- 1 God - Poems On God, Creator - Volume 4, Nikhil Parekh
- 1 God - Poems On God, Creator - Volume 1, Nikhil Parekh
- carpe diem