Elegy Poems - Poems For Elegy - Elegy Ix: The Autumnal - Poem by John Donne | Poem Hunter
Poems about elegy. You can read the best elegy poems. Browse through all elegy poems.
Elegy Ix: The Autumnal - Poem by John Donne
No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace
As I have seen in one autumnal face.
Young beauties force our love, and that's a rape,
This doth but counsel, yet you cannot scape.
If 'twere a shame to love, here 'twere no shame;
Affection here takes reverence's name.
Were her first years the golden age? That's true,
But now she's gold oft tried and ever new.
That was her torrid and inflaming time,
This is her tolerable tropic clime.
Fair eyes, who asks more heat than comes from hence,
He in a fever wishes pestilence.
Call not these wrinkles, graves; if graves they were,
They were Love's graves, for else he is no where.
Yet lies not Love dead here, but here doth sit
Vow'd to this trench, like an anachorit;
And here till hers, which must be his death, come,
He doth not dig a grave, but build a tomb.
Here dwells he; though he sojourn ev'rywhere
In progress, yet his standing house is here:
Here where still evening is, not noon nor night,
Where no voluptuousness, yet all delight.
In all her words, unto all hearers fit,
You may at revels, you at council, sit.
This is Love's timber, youth his underwood;
There he, as wine in June, enrages blood,
Which then comes seasonabliest when our taste
And appetite to other things is past.
Xerxes' strange Lydian love, the platan tree,
Was lov'd for age, none being so large as she,
Or else because, being young, nature did bless
Her youth with age's glory, barrenness.
If we love things long sought, age is a thing
Which we are fifty years in compassing;
If transitory things, which soon decay,
Age must be loveliest at the latest day.
But name not winter faces, whose skin's slack,
Lank as an unthrift's purse, but a soul's sack;
Whose eyes seek light within, for all here's shade;
Whose mouths are holes, rather worn out than made;
Whose every tooth to a several place is gone,
To vex their souls at resurrection:
Name not these living death's-heads unto me,
For these, not ancient, but antique be.
I hate extremes, yet I had rather stay
With tombs than cradles, to wear out a day.
Since such love's natural lation is, may still
My love descend, and journey down the hill,
Not panting after growing beauties. So,
I shall ebb on with them who homeward go.
Comments about Elegy Ix: The Autumnal by John Donne
Poems About Elegy
- 1. Elegy Written In A Country Churchyard , Thomas Gray
- 2. Elegy , Dylan Thomas
- 3. Elegy For Jane , Theodore Roethke
- 4. Duino Elegies: The First Elegy , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 5. Elegy In April And September , Wilfred Owen
- 6. Elegy Xix: To His Mistress Going To Bed , John Donne
- 7. Duino Elegies: The Tenth Elegy , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 8. Elegy To The Memory Of An Unfortunate Lady , Alexander Pope
- 9. An Imperial Elegy , Wilfred Owen
- 10. Duino Elegies: The Fourth Elegy , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 11. Elegy Xvi: On His Mistress , John Donne
- 12. A Satirical Elegy On The Death Of A Late.. , Jonathan Swift
- 13. An Elegy On The Death Of Kenneth Patchen , Lawrence Ferlinghetti
- 14. Elegy Ix: The Autumnal , John Donne
- 15. Elegy In The Classroom , Anne Sexton
- 16. Elegy I , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 17. Elegy Xviii: Love's Progress , John Donne
- 18. Elegy I: Jealousy , John Donne
- 19. Elegy X: The Dream , John Donne
- 20. Elegy Xiii: His Parting From Her , John Donne
- 21. Elegy X , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 22. An Elegy On The Death Of A Mad Dog , Oliver Goldsmith
- 23. Elegy Iv: The Perfume , John Donne
- 24. March Elegy , Anna Akhmatova
- 25. Elegy V: His Picture , John Donne
- 26. Elegy Vii , John Donne
- 27. Elegy In A Country Churchyard , Gilbert Keith Chesterton
- 28. Elegy Iii: Change , John Donne
- 29. Elegy , Siegfried Sassoon
- 30. Elegy Upon Tiger , Jonathan Swift
- 31. Elegy , Joseph Brodsky
- 32. Elegy Ii: The Anagram , John Donne
- 33. From The Tenth Elegy , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 34. Elegy Iv , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 35. Elegy Vi , John Donne
- 36. An Elegy In Frost , Sandra Fowler
- 37. Elegy Viii: The Comparison , John Donne
- 38. Elegy V , Ovid
- 39. An Elegy On A Lap-Dog , John Gay
- 40. Elegy , Alan Dugan
- 41. Elegy Xvi: The Expostulation , John Donne
- 42. Elegy , Carolyn Forché
- 43. Elegy For Tibullus , Ovid
- 44. An Elegy Upon James Therburn, In Chatto , James Thomson
- 45. Elegy Before Death , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 46. Elegy , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 47. Elegy To Time , Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel ..
- 48. Love: An Elegy , Mark Akenside
- 49. Elegy , Ambrose Bierce
- 50. Elegy Xvii: On His Mistress , John Donne
New Elegy Poems
- Generic Elegy, Hans Ostrom
- My Best, Gajanan Mishra
- AN ELEGY, Mirta Rosenberg
- An Elegy To Darkness, Benjamin Chiu Uy
- The Elegy In A Man's Throat, king adams
- Candlebra - Christianity And Neoclassici.., Gayathri B. Seetharam
- On A Springtime Production Of Ionesco's .., Mary Angela Douglas
- Poetry! My Heart Beats For You., Kondwani Simwaba
- Living Eyes, Sona Wilae
- D I S R U P T I N G, Camelia Dragusin
- carpe diem