Fishing Poems - Poems For Fishing - Part 1 Of Trout Fishing In America - Poem by Richard Brautigan | Poem Hunter
Poems about fishing. You can read the best fishing poems. Browse through all fishing poems.
Part 1 Of Trout Fishing In America - Poem by Richard Brautigan
THE COVER FOR
TROUT FISHING IN AMERICA
The cover for Trout Fishing in America is a photograph taken
late in the afternoon, a photograph of the Benjamin Franklin
statue in San Francisco's Washington Square.
Born 1706--Died 1790, Benjamin Franklin stands on a
pedestal that looks like a house containing stone furniture.
He holds some papers in one hand and his hat in the other.
Then the statue speaks, saying in marble:
H. D. COGSWELL
BOYS AND GIRLS
WHO WILL SOON
TAKE OUR PLACES
AND PASS ON.
Around the base of the statue are four words facing the
directions of this world, to the east WELCOME, to the west
WELCOME, to the north WELCOME, to the south WELCOME.
Just behind the statue are three poplar trees, almost leafless
except for the top branches. The statue stands in front
of the middle tree. All around the grass is wet from the
rains of early February.
In the background is a tall cypress tree, almost dark like
a room. Adlai Stevenson spoke under the tree in 1956, before
a crowd of 40, 000 people.
There is a tall church across the street from the statue
with crosses, steeples, bells and a vast door that looks like
a huge mousehole, perhaps from a Tom and Jerry cartoon,
and written above the door is 'Per L'Universo.'
Around five o'clock in the afternoon of my cover for
Trout Fishing in America, people gather in the park across
the street from the church and they are hungry.
It's sandwich time for the poor.
But they cannot cross the street until the signal is given.
Then they all run across the street to the church and get
their sandwiches that are wrapped in newspaper. They go
back to the park and unwrap the newspaper and see what their
sandwiches are all about.
A friend of mine unwrapped his sandwich one afternoon
and looked inside to find just a leaf of spinach. That was all.
Was it Kafka who learned about America by reading the
autobiography of Benjamin Franklin..............
Kafka who said, 'I like the Americans because they are healthy
Comments about Part 1 Of Trout Fishing In America by Richard Brautigan
Poems About Fishing
- 1. Fishing On The Susquehanna In July , Billy Collins
- 2. Moon Fishing , Lisel Mueller
- 3. Hiawatha's Fishing , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 4. Fishing In Troubled Water , Hasmukh Amathalal
- 5. Fishing For A Friend , omar ibrahim
- 6. When The Fishing Boats Go Out , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 7. Salmon-Fishing , Robinson Jeffers
- 8. Off To The Fishing Ground , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 9. Fishing , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 10. Part 1 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 11. Part 3 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 12. I'D Rather Be Fishing , Juan Olivarez
- 13. Fishing Song: To J.A. Froude And Tom Hug.. , Charles Kingsley
- 14. Part 2 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 15. Part 10 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 16. Max And Moritz Fishing , Wilhelm Busch
- 17. Your Fishing Pole , Kathleen J. Shields
- 18. Night Fishing , Christopher Howell
- 19. A Poem Of Hunting, Fishing, And A Truck , Glaedr the poet
- 20. Part 6 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 21. Part 7 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 22. Part 4 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 23. Part 5 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 24. Part 8 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 25. Part 9 Of Trout Fishing In America , Richard Brautigan
- 26. *honey, My Beautiful Wife And Fishing Bu.. , Ted Sheridan
- 27. Fishing In The Wei River , Bai Juyi
- 28. Fishing With Dad , Smoky Hoss
- 29. .5. Gone Fishing , David Threadgold
- 30. Fishing In The Sky , Sara Tehrani
- 31. The Fishing Net , Muzahidul Reza
- 32. On A Bank As I Sate A Fishing: A Descrip.. , Sir Henry Wotton
- 33. - The Fishing Tradition- , Carolyn Ford Witt
- 34. A Bad Day Of Fishing , Juan Olivarez
- 35. Ph: Mentor: Fishing With Older Men , Brian Johnston
- 36. Fishing For Poems , Max Reif
- 37. The Song Of Hiawatha Viii: Hiawatha's Fi.. , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 38. I Love To Go Fishing , Juan Olivarez
- 39. Fishing For Work , Smoky Hoss
- 40. Fishing For Love , shannon lowery
- 41. Go Fishing , Damian Cranney
- 42. Fishing Fun , Mary Nagy
- 43. Fishing Net -Δίχτυ Hay(Na) Ku , Kostas Lagos
- 44. Fishing In Heaven , David Kush
- 45. Fishing In The Sunset , Marilyn Lott
- 46. Fishing , Karnail Singh Heirwale
- 47. Fishing Reasons , Edgar Albert Guest
- 48. Mermaid Fishing(Inspired By Ja Guide To .. , me poet yeps poet
- 49. Senryu - 194 Fishing , Mohammed Asim Nehal
- 50. Fishing Is Easy , Tom Billsborough
New Fishing Poems
- Gone Fishing., Michael Walker
- The Old Fishermen By The Sea, Jim Yerman
- Peaceful Day, Lamar Cole
- Another Pond To Fish In, Dorsey Baker
- Fishing Again, Dorsey Baker
- Me And My Fishing Buddy, Dorsey Baker
- Feat, Lamar Cole
- I Love, Oualid Alamghouz
- Bruno, Francis Duggan
- Because You Want To Go Fishing...., RIC BASTASA
- carpe diem