Food Poems - Poems For Food - A Miracle For Breakfast
Poems about food. You can read the best food poems. Browse through all food poems.
A Miracle For Breakfast - Poem by Elizabeth Bishop
At six o'clock we were waiting for coffee,
waiting for coffee and the charitable crumb
that was going to be served from a certain balcony
--like kings of old, or like a miracle.
It was still dark. One foot of the sun
steadied itself on a long ripple in the river.
The first ferry of the day had just crossed the river.
It was so cold we hoped that the coffee
would be very hot, seeing that the sun
was not going to warm us; and that the crumb
would be a loaf each, buttered, by a miracle.
At seven a man stepped out on the balcony.
He stood for a minute alone on the balcony
looking over our heads toward the river.
A servant handed him the makings of a miracle,
consisting of one lone cup of coffee
and one roll, which he proceeded to crumb,
his head, so to speak, in the clouds--along with the sun.
Was the man crazy? What under the sun
was he trying to do, up there on his balcony!
Each man received one rather hard crumb,
which some flicked scornfully into the river,
and, in a cup, one drop of the coffee.
Some of us stood around, waiting for the miracle.
I can tell what I saw next; it was not a miracle.
A beautiful villa stood in the sun
and from its doors came the smell of hot coffee.
In front, a baroque white plaster balcony
added by birds, who nest along the river,
--I saw it with one eye close to the crumb--
and galleries and marble chambers. My crumb
my mansion, made for me by a miracle,
through ages, by insects, birds, and the river
working the stone. Every day, in the sun,
at breakfast time I sit on my balcony
with my feet up, and drink gallons of coffee.
We licked up the crumb and swallowed the coffee.
A window across the river caught the sun
as if the miracle were working, on the wrong balcony.
Comments about A Miracle For Breakfast by Elizabeth Bishop
Poems About Food
- 1. Fame Is A Fickle Food (1659) , Emily Dickinson
- 2. Sonnet 75: So Are You To My Thoughts As .. , William Shakespeare
- 3. The Food Of Love , Ernestine Northover
- 4. Food For Thought , Stanley Cooper
- 5. Food , C. P. Sharma
- 6. Food In Travel , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 7. Y... Food For The Soul , Aufie Zophy
- 8. The Angel Food Dogs , Anne Sexton
- 9. Fast Food , Delicate Heart
- 10. School's Food , Elizabeth Walker
- 11. ' ' ' ' ' Food Poisoning(For Me Auld Pa.. , Dónall Dempsey
- 12. My Food As A Bird , Bruce Larkin
- 13. Food, Food, Food , Maya Gambheer
- 14. Food , Mr. Bean
- 15. Food For Thought , Lonnie Hicks
- 16. Fame Is A Food That Dead Men Eat , Henry Austin Dobson
- 17. Food For Thought , Vijay Sai
- 18. “food Of The Gods” , Ray Lucero
- 19. Soul Food- Senryu , Mamta Agarwal
- 20. 'America's Using Food Stamps' , Linda Winchell
- 21. Food....Or Love? , (brief renderings) Joe Fazio
- 22. Fish ‘n Chips - Food Of Life , Mark R Slaughter
- 23. The First Food , George Sterling
- 24. God's Wife And Food , Asif Andalib
- 25. A Food For Everything! , Ramesh T A
- 26. Taste Of Food , Naveed Akram
- 27. 3-Will Work For Food , Mary Nagy
- 28. Little Dill Pickles.... [food; Nature; I.. , Bri Edwards
- 29. Mcdonalds And Me...[very Short; Junk Foo.. , Bri Edwards
- 30. Food Glorious Food For Friend Thad , ivor or ivor.e hogg
- 31. Junk Food (Children) , Herbert Nehrlich
- 32. Food , gajanan mishra
- 33. All My Cat Wants Is Food (Attempted Humor) , Sarah Sisson
- 34. Overweight With Food , Mark R Slaughter
- 35. Fish Food (An Obituary To Hart Crane) , John Brooks Wheelwright
- 36. We Cry For Food And They Give Us Bullets , Elizabeth Padillo Olesen
- 37. Slaves Of Food , Sylvia Chidi
- 38. Food Sought -Haiku , 2bpositive 2bpositive
- 39. Food For Thought , Makarand Paranjape
- 40. Food , Jing Han
- 41. Food, Oh Food! , RAVIKIRAN ARAKKAL
- 42. I Love Chinese Food! ! , Aubrey Harmel
- 43. A Bilingual Lover Of Spicy Food , Ted Sheridan
- 44. Food , David Taylor
- 45. Cost Of Food , Vidi Writes
- 46. Fish Food , John Wheelwright
- 47. Let Great Men's Children Get Food , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 48. Food , brandi reissig
- 49. Food - My Birth Right , gajanan mishra
- 50. School's Food , yang zheng
New Food Poems
- Roblox, Jack Bulloch
- Food Is Necessary, Kumarmani Mahakul
- Hunters For The Hungry, Donal Mahoney
- Tirukkural Chapter 95 - Couplets 4,5,6, Rajaram Ramachandran
- Life = Death - Volume 3 - Poems On Life,.., Nikhil Parekh
- You Die; I Die - Love Poems - Part 5, Nikhil Parekh
- Monoku- - -224 (Money- 5), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku- -188 ( Lustre Shedding), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku- -187 (Food Is The Seed), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku- -186 (Food-Habit), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- carpe diem