Hope Poems - Poems For Hope - Evelyn Hope - Poem by Robert Browning | Poem Hunter
Poems about hope. You can read the best hope poems. Browse through all hope poems.
Evelyn Hope - Poem by Robert Browning
Beautiful Evelyn Hope is dead!
Sit and watch by her side an hour.
That is her book-shelf, this her bed;
She plucked that piece of geranium-flower,
Beginning to die too, in the glass;
Little has yet been changed, I think:
The shutters are shut, no light may pass
Save two long rays thro' the hinge's chink.
Sixteen years old, when she died!
Perhaps she had scarcely heard my name;
It was not her time to love; beside,
Her life had many a hope and aim,
Duties enough and little cares,
And now was quiet, now astir,
Till God's hand beckoned unawares,---
And the sweet white brow is all of her.
Is it too late then, Evelyn Hope?
What, your soul was pure and true,
The good stars met in your horoscope,
Made you of spirit, fire and dew---
And, just because I was thrice as old
And our paths in the world diverged so wide,
Each was nought to each, must I be told?
We were fellow mortals, nought beside?
No, indeed! for God above
Is great to grant, as mighty to make,
And creates the love to reward the love:
I claim you still, for my own love's sake!
Delayed it may be for more lives yet,
Through worlds I shall traverse, not a few:
Much is to learn, much to forget
Ere the time be come for taking you.
But the time will come,---at last it will,
When, Evelyn Hope, what meant (I shall say)
In the lower earth, in the years long still,
That body and soul so pure and gay?
Why your hair was amber, I shall divine,
And your mouth of your own geranium's red---
And what you would do with me, in fine,
In the new life come in the old one's stead.
I have lived (I shall say) so much since then,
Given up myself so many times,
Gained me the gains of various men,
Ransacked the ages, spoiled the climes;
Yet one thing, one, in my soul's full scope,
Either I missed or itself missed me:
And I want and find you, Evelyn Hope!
What is the issue? let us see!
I loved you, Evelyn, all the while.
My heart seemed full as it could hold?
There was place and to spare for the frank young smile,
And the red young mouth, and the hair's young gold.
So, hush,---I will give you this leaf to keep:
See, I shut it inside the sweet cold hand!
There, that is our secret: go to sleep!
You will wake, and remember, and understand.
Comments about Evelyn Hope by Robert Browning
Poems About Hope
- 1. Hope Is The Thing With Feathers , Emily Dickinson
- 2. To Hope , John Keats
- 3. Hope , Emily Jane Brontë
- 4. The Hope Of My Heart , John McCrae
- 5. Y... In The Dark Of The Night (Poem Abou.. , Aufie Zophy
- 6. Hope Your Happy , Jessica Anonymous
- 7. Evelyn Hope , Robert Browning
- 8. Hope , Randall Jarrell
- 9. The Instinct Of Hope , John Clare
- 10. Hope Holds To Christ , Gerard Manley Hopkins
- 11. Work Without Hope , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 12. Hope Is A Tattered Flag , Carl Sandburg
- 13. Song Of Hope , Thomas Hardy
- 14. Bird Of Hope , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 15. Oh, They Have Robbed Me Of The Hope , Anne Brontë
- 16. Hope , Friedrich Schiller
- 17. Since Thou Hast Given Me This Good Hope,.. , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 18. Love Without Hope , Robert Graves
- 19. Dare I Hope? , Sophia White
- 20. Hope Is Not Lost , Jessica Millsaps
- 21. Now Let No Charitable Hope , Elinor Morton Wylie
- 22. Sonnets 12: Cherish You Then The Hope I .. , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 23. Enjoy Hope , Sandra Osborne
- 24. Hope , ice johnson
- 25. Hope Dieth: Hope Liveth , William Morris
- 26. Hope (Just A Thought) , .Pd. is here
- 27. The Pleasures Of Hope (Excerpt) , Thomas Campbell
- 28. The Hope Of The Resurrection , Vachel Lindsay
- 29. One Must Have Hope , Vega Destiny Star
- 30. Hope , Anne Kingsmill Finch
- 31. When Hope But Made Tranquillity Be Felt .. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 32. A Pastoral Ballad Ii: Hope , William Shenstone
- 33. Sonnet Xvi: Delusive Hope , Mary Darby Robinson
- 34. Don'T Give Up Hope , Sylvia Chidi
- 35. Hope For The Future , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 36. I Hope , Sara Magana
- 37. Lively Hope And Gracious Fear , William Cowper
- 38. Sonnet Xxv: False Hope Prolongs , Samuel Daniel
- 39. Hope , jodi right
- 40. Hope. , Krantol Northic
- 41. Lamentations Of Jeremiah Iii: Hope Of Re.. , Prophet Jeremiah
- 42. 0431 You Couldn'T Make It Up... I Hope... , Michael Shepherd
- 43. Hope , suchul Jin
- 44. All Hope , Bill Smith
- 45. 0022 A Dickinsonian Ode To Hope , Michael Shepherd
- 46. Had I Presumed To Hope , Emily Dickinson
- 47. Hope , Flora A. Parham
- 48. With Faith And Hope , Ernestine Northover
- 49. Hope , Robert Hall
- 50. You Gave Me Words Of Hope , Sugawara Takesue no Musume
- carpe diem