Joy Poems - Poems For Joy
Poems about joy. You can read the best joy poems. Browse through all joy poems.
The Joy Of Being Poor - Poem by Robert William Service
Let others sing of gold and gear, the joy of being rich;
But oh, the days when I was poor, a vagrant in a ditch!
When every dawn was like a gem, so radiant and rare,
And I had but a single coat, and not a single care;
When I would feast right royally on bacon, bread and beer,
And dig into a stack of hay and doze like any peer;
When I would wash beside a brook my solitary shirt,
And though it dried upon my back I never took a hurt;
When I went romping down the road contemptuous of care,
And slapped Adventure on the back -- by Gad! we were a pair;
When, though my pockets lacked a coin, and though my coat was old,
The largess of the stars was mine, and all the sunset gold;
When time was only made for fools, and free as air was I,
And hard I hit and hard I lived beneath the open sky;
When all the roads were one to me, and each had its allure . . .
Ye Gods! these were the happy days, the days when I was poor.
Or else, again, old pal of mine, do you recall the times
You struggled with your storyettes, I wrestled with my rhymes;
Oh, we were happy, were we not? -- we used to live so "high"
(A little bit of broken roof between us and the sky);
Upon the forge of art we toiled with hammer and with tongs;
You told me all your rippling yarns, I sang to you my songs.
Our hats were frayed, our jackets patched, our boots were down at heel,
But oh, the happy men were we, although we lacked a meal.
And if I sold a bit of rhyme, or if you placed a tale,
What feasts we had of tenderloins and apple-tarts and ale!
And yet how often we would dine as cheerful as you please,
Beside our little friendly fire on coffee, bread and cheese.
We lived upon the ragged edge, and grub was never sure,
But oh, these were the happy days, the days when we were poor.
Alas! old man, we're wealthy now, it's sad beyond a doubt;
We cannot dodge prosperity, success has found us out.
Your eye is very dull and drear, my brow is creased with care,
We realize how hard it is to be a millionaire.
The burden's heavy on our backs -- you're thinking of your rents,
I'm worrying if I'll invest in five or six per cents.
We've limousines, and marble halls, and flunkeys by the score,
We play the part . . . but say, old chap, oh, isn't it a bore?
We work like slaves, we eat too much, we put on evening dress;
We've everything a man can want, I think . . . but happiness.
Come, let us sneak away, old chum; forget that we are rich,
And earn an honest appetite, and scratch an honest itch.
Let's be two jolly garreteers, up seven flights of stairs,
And wear old clothes and just pretend we aren't millionaires;
And wonder how we'll pay the rent, and scribble ream on ream,
And sup on sausages and tea, and laugh and loaf and dream.
And when we're tired of that, my friend, oh, you will come with me;
And we will seek the sunlit roads that lie beside the sea.
We'll know the joy the gipsy knows, the freedom nothing mars,
The golden treasure-gates of dawn, the mintage of the stars.
We'll smoke our pipes and watch the pot, and feed the crackling fire,
And sing like two old jolly boys, and dance to heart's desire;
We'll climb the hill and ford the brook and camp upon the moor . . .
Old chap, let's haste, I'm mad to taste the Joy of Being Poor.
Comments about The Joy Of Being Poor by Robert William Service
Poems About Joy
- 51. The Joy Of Being Poor , Robert William Service
- 52. Joy In Heaven , Henry Clay Work
- 53. ' Joy And Sorrow...............' , fawzia zie
- 54. Phyllis Is My Only Joy , Sir Charles Sedley
- 55. Joy To Have Merited The Pain , Emily Dickinson
- 56. The Joy Of Cooking , Kathleen West
- 57. Tz'U No. 2 (Wine Joy) , Li Ching Chao
- 58. Charge Of Joy And Fain , Seema Chowdhury
- 59. May Internet Connections Bring You More .. , Margaret Alice
- 60. Sonnet: Is There Not Joy? , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 61. (042) Joy Of Surrender , premji premji
- 62. Joy , Adrian Wait
- 63. Three Seconds Between Joy Or Pain , Timothy Weiermann
- 64. The Wondrous Joy Of Love , GREENWOLFE 1962
- 65. Joy- Joy, Enjoy; Yeah, , Aftab Alam
- 66. What Joy , ANDREW BLAKEMORE
- 67. Joy, Joy, Joy , Almedia Knight Oliver
- 68. My Secret Joy , Susan Casey
- 69. Song Of Joy , Göran Gustafsson
- 70. Joy And Hope , RIC S. BASTASA
- 71. Certain People Are A Joy To Know , Seema Chowdhury
- 72. Joy Has Begun , Ernestine Northover
- 73. Fields Of Joy , Dónall Dempsey
- 74. Sonnet: The Greatest Joy On Earth Is Chi.. , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 75. A Day Of Joy , Seema Chowdhury
- 76. , The Joy You Bring , Louise Tredoux
- 77. Joy And Sorrow , Francis Duggan
- 78. Joy! Joy! Joy! , Karen Lee
- 79. Joy Flight , Herbert Nehrlich
- 80. Acquainted With Joy , Charles Chaim Wax
- 81. Move Towards Life Joy , Seema Chowdhury
- 82. Joy , sumaira ...
- 83. Wine And Joy , Fyodor Sologub
- 84. Joy And Peace , aryaindia india
- 85. Share The Joy , John J. Seto
- 86. Haiku - The Joy To Be Animal , john tiong chunghoo
- 87. ! Joy Enjoyed With Or Without Hope... , Michael Shepherd
- 88. Joy - In Memoriam , Herbert Nehrlich
- 89. The Inner Joy Writing The Poetry Brings , Shalom Freedman
- 90. Joy Of Fishing , Marilyn Lott
- 91. Joy And Love , Crystal Bogacki
- 92. One For Sorrow; Two For Joy , Hugh Mitchell
- 93. Joy And Joy , gajanan mishra
- 94. Recipe Of Joy , Seema Chowdhury
- 95. Relief Is A Joy , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 96. 'Lost Joy Of Baby Steps' , Linda Winchell
- 97. A Tear Of Joy , lalitha iyer
- 98. Your Joy Is My Joy , Edward Kofi Louis
- 99. Realization Of Joy , Theresa Ann Moore
- 100. A Thing Of Joy , Seema Chowdhury
New Joy Poems
- Book Four Remembering Of God Love, JERRY WELLS
- The Glory Of Joy, Laura arwen
- Sonnet XVI, Fernando Pessoa
- Born To Love Joy, But Dying To Keep It A.., Bill Darrah
- The Joy Of Being A Woman, john chizoba vincent
- Quotation # 9, Ken Bennight
- You Are Joy, Michael P. McParland
- The Stars Of Joy For Every Star There Is.., Raymond Sawyer
- Tell The World; It Is Joy!, Kelsey Gallant
- Joy Of Life., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- carpe diem