Light Poems - Poems For Light
Poems about light. You can read the best light poems. Browse through all light poems.
The Last Of The Light Brigade - Poem by Rudyard Kipling
There were thirty million English who talked of England's might,
There were twenty broken troopers who lacked a bed for the night.
They had neither food nor money, they had neither service nor trade;
They were only shiftless soldiers, the last of the Light Brigade.
They felt that life was fleeting; they knew not that art was long,
That though they were dying of famine, they lived in deathless song.
They asked for a little money to keep the wolf from the door;
And the thirty million English sent twenty pounds and four!
They laid their heads together that were scarred and lined and grey;
Keen were the Russian sabres, but want was keener than they;
And an old Troop-Sergeant muttered, "Let us go to the man who writes
The things on Balaclava the kiddies at school recites."
They went without bands or colours, a regiment ten-file strong,
To look for the Master-singer who had crowned them all in his song;
And, waiting his servant's order, by the garden gate they stayed,
A desolate little cluster, the last of the Light Brigade.
They strove to stand to attention, to straighten the toil-bowed back;
They drilled on an empty stomach, the loose-knit files fell slack;
With stooping of weary shoulders, in garments tattered and frayed,
They shambled into his presence, the last of the Light Brigade.
The old Troop-Sergeant was spokesman, and "Beggin' your pardon," he said,
"You wrote o' the Light Brigade, sir. Here's all that isn't dead.
An' it's all come true what you wrote, sir, regardin' the mouth of hell;
For we're all of us nigh to the workhouse, an, we thought we'd call an' tell.
"No, thank you, we don't want food, sir; but couldn't you take an' write
A sort of 'to be continued' and 'see next page' o' the fight?
We think that someone has blundered, an' couldn't you tell 'em how?
You wrote we were heroes once, sir. Please, write we are starving now."
The poor little army departed, limping and lean and forlorn.
And the heart of the Master-singer grew hot with "the scorn of scorn."
And he wrote for them wonderful verses that swept the land like flame,
Till the fatted souls of the English were scourged with the thing called Shame.
O thirty million English that babble of England's might,
Behold there are twenty heroes who lack their food to-night;
Our children's children are lisping to "honour the charge they made-"
And we leave to the streets and the workhouse the charge of the Light Brigade!
Comments about The Last Of The Light Brigade by Rudyard Kipling
Poems About Light
- 51. The Last Of The Light Brigade , Rudyard Kipling
- 52. Under The Light, Yet Under , Emily Dickinson
- 53. Life Is The Body's Light , Robert Herrick
- 54. Mellow Light , Sandra Fowler
- 55. Let There Be Light , Alison Cassidy
- 56. God's Light-Houses , Helen Hunt Jackson
- 57. Jeanie With The Light Brown Hair , Stephen C. Foster
- 58. Light As The Linnet On My Way I Start , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 59. ! Love's Light: The Philosopher At The W.. , Michael Shepherd
- 60. The Light Of Love , John Hay
- 61. Light Is Sufficient To Itself , Emily Dickinson
- 62. Book Iii - Part 05 - Cerberus And Furies.. , Lucretius
- 63. The Light That Failed , Rudyard Kipling
- 64. It's Like The Light, -- , Emily Dickinson
- 65. A House Of Light , Pete Crowther
- 66. “light” , Ray Lucero
- 67. The Light By Its Creation , Joanne Monte
- 68. Your Look Of Light , Mirabai
- 69. The Fingers Of The Light , Emily Dickinson
- 70. I Think Light Breaks , Sandra Fowler
- 71. The Poets Light But Lamps , Emily Dickinson
- 72. As Real Knights Of Light , Frederick Kambemba Yamusangie
- 73. Seeing The Light , Frederick Kambemba Yamusangie
- 74. Light And Darkness , Esther Leclerc
- 75. Liquid Light , Douglas Dunn
- 76. The Key Of Light , IT'S ME K.S.Z
- 77. City Of Light , Scarlett Treat
- 78. Inspiration Light , William Lindenmuth
- 79. (004) William The Ghost Meets The Ea.. , Leeanndra O'Lear
- 80. Poem (As Your Light Side Trees Shy...) , Bill Knott
- 81. An Absence Of Light , Bob Gotti
- 82. The Darkness In Light; The Light In Dark.. , Jeffrey Martinez
- 83. First Light , Stephen Leake
- 84. The Light Of The Lapis Lazuli , Kae Morii
- 85. Light Of The Landscape , (c) Colorofsky
- 86. Twilight Of Light , (c) Colorofsky
- 87. Light , ~ cari$ma ~ Dewan
- 88. Evils Of The Light , Barbara Langford
- 89. Light O My Light - Original By Rabindran.. , Asif Andalib
- 90. Light Sorrow, Light Worry , Luo Zhihai
- 91. Back To Salt And Light , Bob Gotti
- 92. Can Not Light Shine Without Sun - Can I .. , Velmar Pewee Hale Johnson
- 93. The Light Of Christ In The Present Darkn.. , Bob Gotti
- 94. Light Is Light , Nyein Way
- 95. Light To Light , Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- 96. The Shining Light , William Cowper
- 97. The Light And Glory Of The Word , William Cowper
- 98. We Wish You Light Snows, And Twinkling L.. , Karl Vollmer
- 99. Morning Light Is The Most Light Of All , Shalom Freedman
- 100. For Every Light One See Is The Light Of .. , Raymond Sawyer
New Light Poems
- The Light Of Respect Is The Light Of The.., Raymond Sawyer
- Day By Day For Every Rose For There Is R.., Raymond Sawyer
- Adventures Of Two Captains By Paul Amrod.., Paul Amrod
- To Feel The Light Is To Be Touch With Re.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Light Of Happiness Is The Light Of R.., Raymond Sawyer
- Star Light Sweet Star Light Of Respect., Raymond Sawyer
- The Light One See Is The Light Of The An.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Angel Of Life Is The Angel Of Respect., Raymond Sawyer
- Thus For Every Light That One See Is The.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Light Of Life Is The Light Of Respect, Raymond Sawyer
- carpe diem