Retirement Poems - Poems For Retirement - To My Father (Upon His Retirement) - Poem by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson | Poem Hunter
Poems about retirement. You can read the best retirement poems. Browse through all retirement poems.
To My Father (Upon His Retirement) - Poem by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
In all the land our race was once excelling.
In richer regions it e'en now possesses
Broad seats and fruitful; but by fate's hard stresses
branch was bent and bowed to blows compelling.
Now toward the light again it lifts aloft
Its top, and fresh buds crown it, fair and soft.
The flowing fountain of
faith has laved it,
To life's late evening thus your strength has saved it.
As rests the race in time of chill and rigor,
And from the deeps that lie within its being
Draws to it what alone can nourish, freeing
Its powers to full prophecy of vigor,-
So I divined the unseen stir in you
Of nature's might that you could not subdue;
It was so strong, from sire to son surviving,
In mystery mute descends this power's striving.
Upon this poured its radiant warmth pervading
My mother's soul; of wedded joy the glory
Crowns not alone your aged heads and hoary;
But it shall death outlive in light unfading.
And if my people ever truly prize
The pictured home that in my writings lies,
Honor of love and faith serene, unbroken,-
Of father, mother, both, shall praise be spoken.
If men remember the Norwegian peasant,
As from the field of toil or saga fateful
I conjured him; to you they shall be grateful,
Father, in whom love let me find him present.
And if the woman whom I made them view
In sun-like splendid faith and spirit true,
By women is approved, it is the other
Who has their homage, my sweet-natured mother.
And now you'll rest the evening long and cheery
From the day's work in fair or troubled weather,
And of the by-gone time you'll talk together,
Of many a mile you trod with footsteps weary,-
Now will as sunlight on the winter's snow,
A warmth of thanks in through the window glow,
Harsh memories mellow with its golden shining,
Your life in faith complete find its refining.
But none gives thanks as now that son in gladness,
For whom you lived in anxious fear unceasing,
Since forth he flew with strength of wing increasing,
For whom to God you prayed in joy and sadness.
Oh, know, when hot my blood burned over-much,
I felt your soothing hands my forehead touch,
And oft, my heart in mute repentance bleeding,
In thoughts of you I heard God's gentle pleading.
And so I pray that I may have the power
(Since we again for life shall be united,
And hope 'mid mirthful mem'ries be relighted),
To brighten now their every evening-hour!
When children's children in their arms shall be,
Oh, let them morning in their evening see!
So shall they gladly lay, when death gives warning,
Their gray heads down to greet the dawning morning.
Comments about To My Father (Upon His Retirement) by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
Poems About Retirement
- 1. *retirement Plans , Ted Sheridan
- 2. On Retirement , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 3. Retirement , ramesh rai
- 4. Retirement , Mahfooz Ali
- 5. Retirement , Anne Brontë
- 6. Reflections On Having Left A Place Of Re.. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 7. The Spoils Of Retirement , David Kush
- 8. Retirement , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 9. Retirement Rendezvous , Sylvia Chidi
- 10. Retirement? , Daniel Lloyd Kennedy
- 11. Retirement Dreams , john tiong chunghoo
- 12. Retirement , Henry Vaughan
- 13. Dr Modi ~ On Your Retirement , Jonathan Goldman a.k.a JGthe ..
- 14. Retirement , Hasmukhlal Amathalallal
- 15. Retirement , Henry Timrod
- 16. 'My Retirement Years' (For Everyone Over.. , Linda Winchell
- 17. Retirement , Theresa Ann Moore
- 18. One Tortoise's Reflection In Retirement , Bill Grace
- 19. Retirement , William Cowper
- 20. Still Boring, After Alllll These Years ... , Bri Edwards
- 21. Retirement , Ray Lucero
- 22. Retirement , William Cowper
- 23. Retirement Is Just Natural , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 24. Retirement , Toshie Nohara
- 25. Retirement , Chris Poythress
- 26. No Retirement , gajanan mishra
- 27. John Howard In Retirement , Francis Duggan
- 28. Early Retirement , Dejan Stojanovic
- 29. Honorable Retirement , Walterrean Salley
- 30. Retirement. , Syed Anwar Yarkhan Jilani
- 31. Retirement Blues , Joy Thacker
- 32. Retirement , Amelia Evelyn White
- 33. Retirement , Rose Angel H
- 34. Retirement , louis rams
- 35. Admiration: On Your Retirement , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 36. Retirement At Last , Joyce Hemsley
- 37. Olney Hymn 46: Retirement , William Cowper
- 38. # Retirement # , Marvin Brato Sr
- 39. Death Is Better Than Retirement. , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 40. On The Retirement Of Ian Thorpe , Francis Duggan
- 41. When He Gets His Retirement? , nimal dunuhinga
- 42. Retirement Plans Pt.2 If The Cost Of Gas.. , Ted Sheridan
- 43. ! Retirement , Michael Shepherd
- 44. Dave ~ On Your Retirement , Jonathan Goldman a.k.a JGthe ..
- 45. Upon The Priory Grove, His Usual Retirem.. , Henry Vaughan
- 46. Calling Lucasta From Her Retirement. Ode , Richard Lovelace
- 47. 0143 Coming To A Retirement Home Near Yo.. , Michael Shepherd
- 48. Thoughts Of Retirement , David Taylor
- 49. Retirement , Stanley Cooper
- 50. Retirement , Aparna Chatterjee
New Retirement Poems
- I Remember That Farewell Night, Aniruddha Pathak
- The Dying Beggar (Refrain Stanza Sequence), Gert Strydom
- Just Look At Ge, Edwin Tanguma
- On The Verge Of Retirement Get Back To W.., Joshua Aaron Guillory
- Shape Of The Day Haiku, Chenou Liu
- Harry Potter Senryu (Comic Haiku), Chenou Liu
- My Old Lady Laptop Computer, Roxanne Dubarry
- Secret, Jared Carter
- I grow, Ulf Karl Olov Nilsson
- Aging In A New Place, Donal Mahoney
- carpe diem