Retirement Poems - Poems For Retirement - Retirement - Poem by James Beattie | Poem Hunter
Poems about retirement. You can read the best retirement poems. Browse through all retirement poems.
Retirement - Poem by James Beattie
When in the crimson cloud of Even,
The lingering light decays,
And Hesper on the front of Heaven
His glittering gem displays!
Deep in the silent vale, unseen,
Beside a lulling stream,
A pensive Youth of placid mien,
Indulged this tender theme.
Ye cliffs, in hoary grandeur piled
High o'er the glimmering dale;
Ye woods, along whose windings wild
Murmurs the solemn gale;
Where Melancholy strays forlorn,
And Wo retires to weep,
What time the wan moon's yellow horn
Gleams on the western deep:
To you, ye wastes, whose artless charms
Ne'er drew Ambition's eye,
'Scaped a tumultuous world's alarms,
To your retreats I fly.
Deep in your most sequester'd bower
Let me at last recline,
Where Solitude, mild, modest Power,
Leans on her ivy'd shrine.
How shall I woo thee, matchless Fair!
Thy heavenly smile how win!
Thy smile, that smoothes the brow of Care,
And stills the storm within.
O wilt thou to thy favourite grove
Thine ardent votary bring,
And bless his hours, and bid them move
Serene, on silent wing.
Oft let remembrance soothe his mind
With dreams of former days,
When in the lap of Peace reclined
He framed his infant lays;
When Fancy roved at large, nor Care
Nor cold Distrust alarm'd,
Nor Envy with malignant glare
His simple youth had harm'd.
'Twas then, O Solitude, to thee
His early vows were paid,
From heart sincere, and warm, and free,
Devoted to the shade.
Ah why did Fate his steps decoy
In stormy paths to roam,
Remote from all congenial joy! -
O take the wanderer home.
Thy shades, thy silence, now be mine,
Thy charms my only theme;
My haunt the hollow cliff, whose pine
Waves o'er the gloomy stream,
Whence the sacred owl on pinions gray
Breaks from the lone vale sails away
To more profound repose.
O while to thee the woodland pours
Its wildly-warbling song,
And balmy from the banks of flowers
The zephyr breathes along;
Let no rude sounds invade from far,
No vagrant foot be nigh,
No ray from Grandeur's gilded car,
Flash on the startled eye.
But if some pilgrim through the glade
Thy hallow'd bowers explore,
O guard from harm his hoary head,
And listen to his lore:
For he of joys divine shall tell
That wean from earthly wo,
And triumph o'er the mighty spell
That chains this heart below.
For me no more the path invites
Ambition loves to tread;
No more I climb those toilsome heights
By guileful Hope misled;
Leaps my fond fluttering heart no more
To mirth's enlivening strain;
For present pleasure soon is o'er,
And all the past is vain.
Comments about Retirement by James Beattie
Poems About Retirement
- 1. *retirement Plans , Ted Sheridan
- 2. Retirement , Anne Brontë
- 3. Retirement , Henry Vaughan
- 4. On Retirement , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 5. Reflections On Having Left A Place Of Re.. , Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 6. Retirement? , Daniel Lloyd Kennedy
- 7. Retirement , Henry Timrod
- 8. Retirement , Theresa Ann Moore
- 9. Calling Lucasta From Her Retirement. Ode , Richard Lovelace
- 10. Upon The Priory Grove, His Usual Retirem.. , Henry Vaughan
- 11. Retirement Rendezvous , Sylvia Chidi
- 12. Retirement , Mahfooz Ali
- 13. 0143 Coming To A Retirement Home Near Yo.. , Michael Shepherd
- 14. Olney Hymn 46: Retirement , William Cowper
- 15. Elegy I. He Arrives At His Retirement In.. , William Shenstone
- 16. # Retirement # , Marvin Brato Sr
- 17. To My Father (Upon His Retirement) , Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
- 18. Varied Visions Of Retirement , Juanita Farrar
- 19. Retirement , William Cowper
- 20. Retirement , Hasmukh Amathalal
- 21. Retirement? , Kate Beamish
- 22. Retirement , Toshie Nohara
- 23. The Spoils Of Retirement , David Kush
- 24. Retirement Life , Sirpheno The Knight
- 25. Retirement , Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- 26. On Retirement , Joan Sacre
- 27. Retirement , ramesh rai
- 28. Retirement , mark nwagwu
- 29. The Retirement Of Mars , Leon Gellert
- 30. Retirement , James Beattie
- 31. Retirement , Akhtar Jawad
- 32. Retirement , AHO Speaks
- 33. Still Boring, After Alllll These Years ... , Bri Edwards
- 34. Retirement Eulogy , Charles WOO
- 35. Thoughts Of Retirement , David Taylor
- 36. Retirement , Stanley Cooper
- 37. 'My Retirement Years' (For Everyone Over.. , Linda Winchell
- 38. Elegy Xxi. Taking A View Of The Country .. , William Shenstone
- 39. While My Wife Is In Japan....Again........ , Bri Edwards
- 40. Peter's Pumpkin Eaters ..... [eating; P.. , Bri Edwards
- 41. Death Is Better Than Retirement. , Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- 42. Retirement Plans Pt.2 If The Cost Of Gas.. , Ted Sheridan
- 43. Retirement , Ray Lucero
- 44. Retirement Dreams , john tiong chunghoo
- 45. Retirement , C.R. Ebowski
- 46. Retirement , C R Clark
- 47. On The Retirement Of Ian Thorpe , Francis Duggan
- 48. What A Nice Life I Have....[personal; Re.. , Bri Edwards
- 49. Sonnet: Is Retirement, A Boon? , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 50. Retirement , Chris Poythress
New Retirement Poems
- I Remember That Farewell Night, Aniruddha Pathak
- The Dying Beggar (Refrain Stanza Sequence), Gert Strydom
- Just Look At Ge, Edwin Tanguma
- On The Verge Of Retirement Get Back To W.., Joshua Aaron Guillory
- Shape Of The Day Haiku, Chenou Liu
- Harry Potter Senryu (Comic Haiku), Chenou Liu
- My Old Lady Laptop Computer, Roxanne Dubarry
- Secret, Jared Carter
- I grow, Ulf Karl Olov Nilsson
- Aging In A New Place, Donal Mahoney
- carpe diem