River Poems - Poems For River
Poems about river. You can read the best river poems. Browse through all river poems.
The Great Yellow River Inundation In China - Poem by William Topaz McGonagall
'Twas in the year of 1887, and on the 28th of September,
Which many people of Honan, in China, will long remember;
Especially those that survived the mighty deluge,
That fled to the mountains, and tops of trees, for refuge.
The river burst its embankments suddenly at dead of night,
And the rushing torrent swept all before it left and right;
All over the province of Honan, which for its fertility,
Is commonly called by historians, the garden of China.
The river was at its fullest when the embankment gave way,
And when the people heard it, oh! horror and dismay;
'Twas then fathers and mothers leaped from their beds without delay,
And some saved themselves from being drowned, but thousands were swept away.
Oh! it was a horrible and most pitiful scene,
To hear fathers and mothers and their children loudly scream;
As the merciless water encircled they bodies around,
While the water spirits laughed to see them drowned.
Oh! heaven, it must have been an appalling sight,
To witness in the dead stillness of the night
Frantic fathers and mothers, struggling hard against the roaring flood,
To save themselves and little ones, their own. flesh and blood.
The watchmen tried to patch the breach, but it was all in vain,
Because the banks were sodden with the long prolonged rain;
And driven along by a high wind, which brought the last strain,
Which caused the water with resistless fury to spread o'er the plain.
And the torrent poured into the valley of the La Chia river,
Sweeping thousands of the people before it ere a helping hand could them deliver;
Oh! it was horrible to hear the crashing of houses fallen on every side,
As the flood of rushing waters spread far and wide.
The Chinese offer sacrifices to the water spirits twice a year,
And whether the water spirits or God felt angry I will not aver;
But perhaps God has considered such sacrifices a sin,
And has drowned so many thousands of them for not worshipping Him.
How wonderful are the works of God,
At times among His people abroad;
Therefore, let us be careful of what we do or say,
For fear God doth suddenly take our lives away.
The province of Honan is about half the size of Scotland,
Dotted over with about 3000 villages, most grand;
And inhabited by millions of people of every degree,
And these villages, and people were transformed into a raging sea.
The deluge swept on over the fertile and well-cultivated land,
And the rushing of the mighty torrent no power could withstand;
And the appalling torrent was about twenty feet deep,
And with resistless fury everything before it it did sweep.
Methinks I see the waste of surging waters, and hear its deafening roar,
And on its surface I see corpses of men and women by the score;
And the merciless torrent in the darkness of the night,
Sportively tossing them about, oh! what a horrible sight.
Besides there were buffaloes and oxen, timber, straw, and grain,
Also three thousand villages were buried beneath the waters of the plain;
And multitudes beneath their own roofs have found a watery grave,
While struggling hard, no doubt, poor souls their lives to save.
Therefore good people at home or abroad,
Be advised by me and trust more in God,
Than the people of Honan, the benighted Chinese,
For fear God punished you likewise for your iniquities.
Comments about The Great Yellow River Inundation In China by William Topaz McGonagall
Poems About River
- 51. The Great Yellow River Inundation In China , William Topaz McGonagall
- 52. The Awakening River , Katherine Mansfield
- 53. The Current Of Time's River , Gavrila Romanovich Derzhavin
- 54. My River Of Blood , Scarlet .....
- 55. The River Of Time , Linda Ori
- 56. Song Of The Fifth River , Rudyard Kipling
- 57. Wild Society/River/Reading The Lake - 3 .. , Ben Gieske
- 58. I Hear A River Thro' The Valley Wander , Trumbull Stickney
- 59. The River Maiden , Victor James Daley
- 60. The Concrete River , Luis J. Rodríguez
- 61. The River , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 62. A River Poem , Mamta G.Sagar
- 63. (045) Sun, Moon & River , Risha Ahmed (12 yrs)
- 64. ! ! Silence At The River Bank , Michael Shepherd
- 65. by The River , Karla Robles
- 66. V. To The River Tweed. , William Lisle Bowles
- 67. (.........Aug26) The River Of Ordinary.. , Max Reif
- 68. Down The River , Barcroft Henry Thomas Boake
- 69. Iv. To The River Wenbeck , William Lisle Bowles
- 70. The River Scamander , Jean De La Fontaine
- 71. It's A River , Charles M Moore
- 72. Where'Er The Sweetest River Flows , ANDREW BLAKEMORE
- 73. Tired River , >Starr Williams<
- 74. Down By The River , Jackie Kirby
- 75. Along The River Fuji , Annie Cordelia Adams
- 76. Before I Cross The River , Will Barber
- 77. By The River , Sylvia Chidi
- 78. Flooding River , Faith Elizabeth Brigham
- 79. #359 Haiku River River , Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- 80. Oh Jordan River Lord Say Lay My Burdens .. , Jacqueline Amos
- 81. River River River , gajanan mishra
- 82. Flow Like A River , Francis Kokutse
- 83. Night On The Great River [three Translat.. , Meng Hao-jan
- 84. The River Erdre. , Gillian.E. Shaw
- 85. Visit Malaysia Year Poem - Klang River (.. , john tiong chunghoo
- 86. The River , Francis Duggan
- 87. The River Lingers On (From,134 Picture P.. , Peter S. Quinn
- 88. The Way The River Runs (Sequal To River'.. , Kathryn Miller
- 89. To The Blackwater River , Francis Duggan
- 90. Blittle River (Author Favorite) , Barry A. Lanier
- 91. River Dream , Jess White
- 92. Bottle-Nosed Whale Of River Thames , Sylvia Chidi
- 93. Longjin River, My Home Mother River , Luo Zhihai
- 94. River Of Love , Aldo Kraas
- 95. Puke Me A River , Ramona Thompson
- 96. Sailing Down Life's River , jim foulk
- 97. A Heart Full Of Love (From, The River Si.. , Peter S. Quinn
- 98. Tanka - The Countryside's Red River , john tiong chunghoo
- 99. Visit Malaysia Year Haiku - Malacca Riv.. , john tiong chunghoo
- 100. Crocodile River , Naveed Akram
New River Poems
- [They drink champagne in river valleys], Gabrielė Labanauskaitė
- River Bird, Gbolabo Adetunji
- Time Is, Leah Ross
- River Oil, SylvaOnyema Uba
- Monoku- 255 ( Life And A River), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Monoku-66 (A River), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Crooked River Tragedy, Ray Lucero
- Graveyard Haiku, Chenou Liu
- Rushing River Haiku, Chenou Liu
- Nightingale Song Haiku, Chenou Liu
- carpe diem