Sad Poems - Poems For Sad - To A Sad Daughter
Poems about sad. You can read the best sad poems. Browse through all sad poems.
To A Sad Daughter - Poem by Michael Ondaatje
All night long the hockey pictures
gaze down at you
sleeping in your tracksuit.
Belligerent goalies are your ideal.
Threats of being traded
cuts and wounds
--all this pleases you.
O my god! you say at breakfast
reading the sports page over the Alpen
as another player breaks his ankle
or assaults the coach.
When I thought of daughters
I wasn't expecting this
but I like this more.
I like all your faults
even your purple moods
when you retreat from everyone
to sit in bed under a quilt.
And when I say 'like'
I mean of course 'love'
but that embarrasses you.
You who feel superior to black and white movies
(coaxed for hours to see Casablanca)
though you were moved
by Creature from the Black Lagoon.
One day I'll come swimming
beside your ship or someone will
and if you hear the siren
listen to it. For if you close your ears
only nothing happens. You will never change.
I don't care if you risk
your life to angry goalies
creatures with webbed feet.
You can enter their caves and castles
their glass laboratories. Just
don't be fooled by anyone but yourself.
This is the first lecture I've given you.
You're 'sweet sixteen' you said.
I'd rather be your closest friend
than your father. I'm not good at advice
you know that, but ride
until they grow dark.
Sometimes you are so busy
discovering your friends
I ache with loss
--but that is greed.
And sometimes I've gone
into my purple world
and lost you.
One afternoon I stepped
into your room. You were sitting
at the desk where I now write this.
Forsythia outside the window
and sun spilled over you
like a thick yellow miracle
as if another planet
was coaxing you out of the house
--all those possible worlds!--
and you, meanwhile, busy with mathematics.
I cannot look at forsythia now
without loss, or joy for you.
You step delicately
into the wild world
and your real prize will be
the frantic search.
Want everything. If you break
break going out not in.
How you live your life I don't care
but I'll sell my arms for you,
hold your secrets forever.
If I speak of death
which you fear now, greatly,
it is without answers.
except that each
one we know is
in our blood.
Don't recall graves.
Memory is permanent.
Remember the afternoon's
yellow suburban annunciation.
in his frightening mask
Comments about To A Sad Daughter by Michael Ondaatje
Poems About Sad
- 1. A Sad Child , Margaret Atwood
- 2. A Fairly Sad Tale , Dorothy Parker
- 3. ‘and Ask Ye Why These Sad Tears Stream?’ , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 4. The Sad Mother , Gabriela Mistral
- 5. Be Not Sad , James Joyce
- 6. Sad In Blue (A Lyric) , Peter S. Quinn
- 7. Sad , Cristina Geanta
- 8. To A Sad Daughter , Michael Ondaatje
- 9. For A Sad Lady , Dorothy Parker
- 10. A Sad State Of Freedom , Nazim Hikmet
- 11. Baseball's Sad Lexicon , Franklin Pierce Adams
- 12. In My Own Shire, If I Was Sad , Alfred Edward Housman
- 13. With How Sad Steps, O Moon, Thou Climb's.. , William Wordsworth
- 14. My Sad Captains , Thom Gunn
- 15. Sad-Eyed And Soft And Grey , William Morris
- 16. Close Those Sad Sad Eyes , Beautiful Grim
- 17. To The Sad Moon , Sir Philip Sidney
- 18. Sad Is Stupid , Alison Cassidy
- 19. Sit Down, Sad Soul , Barry Cornwall
- 20. Sad Green Eyes , Linda Ori
- 21. Bored And Sad , Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
- 22. The Journey Of A Poem Compared To All Th.. , Delmore Schwartz
- 23. Weep You No More, Sad Fountains , Anonymous Olde English
- 24. Peacock Story 8 - A Sad Poem , Alison Cassidy
- 25. The Bad Season Makes The Poet Sad , Robert Herrick
- 26. Phantasmagoria Canto Vii ( Sad Souvenaun.. , Lewis Carroll
- 27. The Lacking Sense Scene.--A Sad-Coloured.. , Thomas Hardy
- 28. Sonnet Xxxi: With How Sad Steps, O Moon , Sir Philip Sidney
- 29. To A Sad Girl , Uriah Hamilton
- 30. Sad Sad Day , Laura Green
- 31. ! To A God-Daughter On Her Sad Poem , Michael Shepherd
- 32. Sad Song , Rahel Bluwstein
- 33. I Sing A Sad Song , Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- 34. Sonnet Iii: With How Sad Steps , Sir Philip Sidney
- 35. .sad Girl , YURI DURAAN
- 36. Sad Cypress , koyel mitra
- 37. Sonnet: Languid, And Sad, And Slow, From.. , William Lisle Bowles
- 38. The Sad Day , Thomas Flatman
- 39. The Sad Shepherd , William Butler Yeats
- 40. Sad , Sylvia Chidi
- 41. ’tis A Sad, Mad World! , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 42. Happy & Sad , Sumita Datta
- 43. Sad And Lonely , Taher Shemaly
- 44. A Sad Sad Story , Joyce Hemsley
- 45. The Sad Bastards Club , Francesca Johnson
- 46. Sad Eyes , Mariana Zita
- 47. ! The Sad Story Of Happiness , Michael Shepherd
- 48. ! ! A Sad Tale Of Consumerism , Michael Shepherd
- 49. Languid, And Sad, And Slow, From Day To .. , William Lisle Bowles
- 50. Mad And Sad , Samantha Guinen
New Sad Poems
- A Child Cannot Become A Man, Salim R Javed
- It Was Sad When The Headframe Came Down….., Moira Cameron
- Sad Whale, Emily 1 Krauss
- The Song Plays On, Oduro Bright Amoh
- When One Is Sad Thus One Should Wish For.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Clown, gordon nosworthy
- Sadness And Its Tools, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Seasonal Affective Disorder, Mark Heathcote
- Sahar's Sadness, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Ballad Of All Sad Men, Juwon Daniel
- carpe diem