Sad Poems - Poems For Sad - To A Sad Daughter - Poem by Michael Ondaatje | Poem Hunter
Poems about sad. You can read the best sad poems. Browse through all sad poems.
To A Sad Daughter - Poem by Michael Ondaatje
All night long the hockey pictures
gaze down at you
sleeping in your tracksuit.
Belligerent goalies are your ideal.
Threats of being traded
cuts and wounds
--all this pleases you.
O my god! you say at breakfast
reading the sports page over the Alpen
as another player breaks his ankle
or assaults the coach.
When I thought of daughters
I wasn't expecting this
but I like this more.
I like all your faults
even your purple moods
when you retreat from everyone
to sit in bed under a quilt.
And when I say 'like'
I mean of course 'love'
but that embarrasses you.
You who feel superior to black and white movies
(coaxed for hours to see Casablanca)
though you were moved
by Creature from the Black Lagoon.
One day I'll come swimming
beside your ship or someone will
and if you hear the siren
listen to it. For if you close your ears
only nothing happens. You will never change.
I don't care if you risk
your life to angry goalies
creatures with webbed feet.
You can enter their caves and castles
their glass laboratories. Just
don't be fooled by anyone but yourself.
This is the first lecture I've given you.
You're 'sweet sixteen' you said.
I'd rather be your closest friend
than your father. I'm not good at advice
you know that, but ride
until they grow dark.
Sometimes you are so busy
discovering your friends
I ache with loss
--but that is greed.
And sometimes I've gone
into my purple world
and lost you.
One afternoon I stepped
into your room. You were sitting
at the desk where I now write this.
Forsythia outside the window
and sun spilled over you
like a thick yellow miracle
as if another planet
was coaxing you out of the house
--all those possible worlds!--
and you, meanwhile, busy with mathematics.
I cannot look at forsythia now
without loss, or joy for you.
You step delicately
into the wild world
and your real prize will be
the frantic search.
Want everything. If you break
break going out not in.
How you live your life I don't care
but I'll sell my arms for you,
hold your secrets forever.
If I speak of death
which you fear now, greatly,
it is without answers.
except that each
one we know is
in our blood.
Don't recall graves.
Memory is permanent.
Remember the afternoon's
yellow suburban annunciation.
in his frightening mask
Comments about To A Sad Daughter by Michael Ondaatje
Poems About Sad
- 1. A Sad Child , Margaret Atwood
- 2. A Fairly Sad Tale , Dorothy Parker
- 3. ‘and Ask Ye Why These Sad Tears Stream?’ , Alfred Lord Tennyson
- 4. The Sad Mother , Gabriela Mistral
- 5. Be Not Sad , James Joyce
- 6. Sad In Blue (A Lyric) , Peter S. Quinn
- 7. A Sad State Of Freedom , Nazim Hikmet
- 8. Sad , Cristina Geanta
- 9. For A Sad Lady , Dorothy Parker
- 10. To A Sad Daughter , Michael Ondaatje
- 11. In My Own Shire, If I Was Sad , Alfred Edward Housman
- 12. Sad Green Eyes , Linda Ori
- 13. My Sad Captains , Thom Gunn
- 14. Baseball's Sad Lexicon , Franklin Pierce Adams
- 15. Sad-Eyed And Soft And Grey , William Morris
- 16. With How Sad Steps, O Moon, Thou Climb's.. , William Wordsworth
- 17. Close Those Sad Sad Eyes , Beautiful Grim
- 18. To The Sad Moon , Sir Philip Sidney
- 19. Sit Down, Sad Soul , Barry Cornwall
- 20. Bored And Sad , Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
- 21. Sad Is Stupid , Alison Cassidy
- 22. The Journey Of A Poem Compared To All Th.. , Delmore Schwartz
- 23. Phantasmagoria Canto Vii ( Sad Souvenaun.. , Lewis Carroll
- 24. Peacock Story 8 - A Sad Poem , Alison Cassidy
- 25. Weep You No More, Sad Fountains , Anonymous Olde English
- 26. The Bad Season Makes The Poet Sad , Robert Herrick
- 27. The Lacking Sense Scene.--A Sad-Coloured.. , Thomas Hardy
- 28. Sonnet Xxxi: With How Sad Steps, O Moon , Sir Philip Sidney
- 29. Sad Sad Day , Laura Green
- 30. I Sing A Sad Song , Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- 31. ! To A God-Daughter On Her Sad Poem , Michael Shepherd
- 32. Sad Song , Rahel Bluwstein
- 33. To A Sad Girl , Uriah Hamilton
- 34. Sonnet Iii: With How Sad Steps , Sir Philip Sidney
- 35. .sad Girl , YURI DURAAN
- 36. Sonnet: Languid, And Sad, And Slow, From.. , William Lisle Bowles
- 37. Sad Cypress , koyel mitra
- 38. The Sad Day , Thomas Flatman
- 39. A Sad Sad Story , Joyce Hemsley
- 40. ! The Sad Story Of Happiness , Michael Shepherd
- 41. Happy & Sad , Sumita Datta
- 42. Sad , Sylvia Chidi
- 43. ’tis A Sad, Mad World! , Dr. A.Celestine Raj Manohar ..
- 44. ! ! A Sad Tale Of Consumerism , Michael Shepherd
- 45. The Sad Shepherd , William Butler Yeats
- 46. Sad And Lonely , Taher Shemaly
- 47. Mad And Sad , Samantha Guinen
- 48. The Sad Bastards Club , Francesca Johnson
- 49. Sad Eyes , Mariana Zita
- 50. Languid, And Sad, And Slow, From Day To .. , William Lisle Bowles
New Sad Poems
- A Cowboy Poet Shot In The Shin, David Welch
- Must Be Donald, Francie Lynch
- କୋହ, Sanjay Dash
- Sad Sad Eyes, gordon nosworthy
- Sad Students., Oualid Alamghouz
- Sad, Sad Room (A Dark Poem), Practicing Poetess
- The Mid Day Sunset, Gopendra Kumar
- It Was Sad When The Headframe Came Down….., Moira Cameron
- Sad Whale, Emily 1 Krauss
- The Song Plays On, Oduro Bright Amoh
- carpe diem