Summer Poems - Poems For Summer - I See The Boys Of Summer - Poem by Dylan Thomas | Poem Hunter
Poems about summer. You can read the best summer poems. Browse through all summer poems.
I See The Boys Of Summer - Poem by Dylan Thomas
I see the boys of summer in their ruin
Lay the gold tithings barren,
Setting no store by harvest, freeze the soils;
Theire in their heat the winter floods
Of frozen loves they fetch their girls,
And drown the cargoed apples in their tides.
These boys of light are curdlers in their folly,
Sour the boiling honey;
The jacks of frost they finger in the hives;
There in the sun the frigid threads
Of doubt and dark they feed their nerves;
The signal moon is zero in their voids.
I see the summer children in their mothers
Split up the brawned womb's weathers,
Divide the night and day with fairy thumbs;
There in the deep with quartered shades
Of sun and moon they paint their dams
As sunlight paints the shelling of their heads.
I see that from these boys shall men of nothing
Stature by seedy shifting,
Or lame the air with leaping from its hearts;
There from their hearts the dogdayed pulse
Of love and light bursts in their throats.
O see the pulse of summer in the ice.
But seasons must be challenged or they totter
Into a chiming quarter
Where, punctual as death, we ring the stars;
There, in his night, the black-tongued bells
The sleepy man of winter pulls,
Nor blows back moon-and-midnight as she blows.
We are the dark deniers, let us summon
Death from a summer woman,
A muscling life from lovers in their cramp,
From the fair dead who flush the sea
The bright-eyed worm on Davy's lamp,
And from the planted womb the man of straw.
We summer boys in this four-winded spinning,
Green of the seaweed's iron,
Hold up the noisy sea and drop her birds,
Pick the world's ball of wave and froth
To choke the deserts with her tides,
And comb the county gardens for a wreath.
In spring we cross our foreheads with the holly,
Heigh ho the blood and berry,
And nail the merry squires to the trees;
Here love's damp muscle dries and dies,
Here break a kiss in no love's quarry.
O see the poles of promise in the boys.
I see the boys of summer in their ruin.
Man in his maggot's barren.
And boys are full and foreign in the pouch.
I am the man your father was.
We are the sons of flint and pitch.
O see the poles are kissing as they cross.
Comments about I See The Boys Of Summer by Dylan Thomas
Poems About Summer
- 1. Summer Sun , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 2. Before Summer Rain , Rainer Maria Rilke
- 3. Summer In The South , Paul Laurence Dunbar
- 4. Summer , Alexander Pope
- 5. Written On A Summer Evening , John Keats
- 6. In The Summer , Nizar Qabbani
- 7. The Summer Rain , Henry David Thoreau
- 8. Summer , John Clare
- 9. A Summer Afternoon , James Whitcomb Riley
- 10. Indian Summer , Dorothy Parker
- 11. A Summer Day , Lucy Maud Montgomery
- 12. Bed In Summer , Robert Louis Stevenson
- 13. To Summer , William Blake
- 14. I Know I Am But Summer To Your Heart , Edna St. Vincent Millay
- 15. Exhortation: Summer 1919 , Claude McKay
- 16. Farm Boy After Summer , Robert Francis
- 17. Summer Shower , Emily Dickinson
- 18. Summer Stars , Carl Sandburg
- 19. Between The Dusk Of A Summer Night , William Ernest Henley
- 20. A Summer Evening Churchyard, Lechlade, G.. , Percy Bysshe Shelley
- 21. A Night-Rain In Summer , James Henry Leigh Hunt
- 22. Seasonal Cycle - Chapter 01 - Summer , Kalidasa
- 23. Skeletons Of Summer , Ernestine Northover
- 24. Portrait Number Five: Against A New York.. , Jack Gilbert
- 25. Tis The Last Rose Of Summer , Thomas Moore
- 26. I See The Boys Of Summer , Dylan Thomas
- 27. Rain In Summer , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 28. Summer Wind , William Cullen Bryant
- 29. Summer Dawn , Spike Milligan
- 30. An Indian Summer Day On The Prairie , Vachel Lindsay
- 31. Indian Summer , Henry Van Dyke
- 32. Summer Holiday , Robinson Jeffers
- 33. Once Upon A Summer Day , Joseph T. Renaldi
- 34. Summer Morn In New Hampshire , Claude McKay
- 35. Summer Night, Riverside , Sara Teasdale
- 36. As Sleigh Bells Seem In Summer , Emily Dickinson
- 37. Indian Summer , Sara Teasdale
- 38. Summer In The Mountains , Li Po
- 39. Further In Summer Than The Birds , Emily Dickinson
- 40. It Can'T Be "Summer"! , Emily Dickinson
- 41. Visiting A Dead Man On A Summer Day , Marge Piercy
- 42. Early Summer Rain , Yosa Buson
- 43. Summer Evening , John Clare
- 44. Summer For Thee, Grant I May Be , Emily Dickinson
- 45. Summer In The Country , Charles Simic
- 46. Summer Song , George Barker
- 47. Summer Images , John Clare
- 48. On The Idle Hill Of Summer , Alfred Edward Housman
- 49. In Spring And Summer Winds May Blow , Walter Savage Landor
- 50. Summer , Amy Lowell
New Summer Poems
- Summer, Stephen (Steve) Howard
- Summer, Sunday Igwebuike
- Monoku-58 ( Love Is Coloured In Spring), SRIRANJI ARATISANKAR
- Nero, Shuntaro Tanikawa
- Cheated Outta Summer, LeFay Beechnut
- Longing, Pranesh Patil
- Summer's Ending, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Summer Night For The Star To Touch One W.., Raymond Sawyer
- Summer Night For The Stars Of Respect., Raymond Sawyer
- Summer Moon, Michael P. McParland
- carpe diem