War Poems - Poems For War - From A German War Primer
Poems about war. You can read the best war poems. Browse through all war poems.
From A German War Primer - Poem by Bertolt Brecht
AMONGST THE HIGHLY PLACED
It is considered low to talk about food.
The fact is: they have
The lowly must leave this earth
Without having tasted
Any good meat.
For wondering where they come from and
Where they are going
The fine evenings find them
They have not yet seen
The mountains and the great sea
When their time is already up.
If the lowly do not
Think about what's low
They will never rise.
THE BREAD OF THE HUNGRY HAS
ALL BEEN EATEN
Meat has become unknown. Useless
The pouring out of the people's sweat.
The laurel groves have been
From the chimneys of the arms factories
THE HOUSE-PAINTER SPEAKS OF
GREAT TIMES TO COME
The forests still grow.
The fields still bear
The cities still stand.
The people still breathe.
ON THE CALENDAR THE DAY IS NOT
Every month, every day
Lies open still. One of those days
Is going to be marked with a cross.
THE WORKERS CRY OUT FOR BREAD
The merchants cry out for markets.
The unemployed were hungry. The employed
Are hungry now.
The hands that lay folded are busy again.
They are making shells.
THOSE WHO TAKE THE MEAT FROM THE TABLE
Those for whom the contribution is destined
Those who eat their fill speak to the hungry
Of wonderful times to come.
Those who lead the country into the abyss
Call ruling too difficult
For ordinary men.
WHEN THE LEADERS SPEAK OF PEACE
The common folk know
That war is coming.
When the leaders curse war
The mobilization order is already written out.
THOSE AT THE TOP SAY: PEACE
Are of different substance.
But their peace and their war
Are like wind and storm.
War grows from their peace
Like son from his mother
Her frightful features.
Their war kills
Whatever their peace
Has left over.
ON THE WALL WAS CHALKED:
They want war.
The man who wrote it
Has already fallen.
THOSE AT THE TOP SAY:
This way to glory.
Those down below say:
This way to the grave.
THE WAR WHICH IS COMING
Is not the first one. There were
Other wars before it.
When the last one came to an end
There were conquerors and conquered.
Among the conquered the common people
Starved. Among the conquerors
The common people starved too.
THOSE AT THE TOP SAY COMRADESHIP
Reigns in the army.
The truth of this is seen
In the cookhouse.
In their hearts should be
The selfsame courage. But
On their plates
Are two kinds of rations.
WHEN IT COMES TO MARCHING MANY DO NOT
That their enemy is marching at their head.
The voice which gives them their orders
Is their enemy's voice and
The man who speaks of the enemy
Is the enemy himself.
IT IS NIGHT
The married couples
Lie in their beds. The young women
Will bear orphans.
GENERAL, YOUR TANK IS A POWERFUL VEHICLE
It smashes down forests and crushes a hundred men.
But it has one defect:
It needs a driver.
General, your bomber is powerful.
It flies faster than a storm and carries more than an elephant.
But it has one defect:
It needs a mechanic.
General, man is very useful.
He can fly and he can kill.
But he has one defect:
He can think.
Comments about From A German War Primer by Bertolt Brecht
Poems About War
- 1. A War Song To Englishmen , William Blake
- 2. Love And War , Ovid
- 3. Sekhmet, The Lion-Headed Goddess Of War , Margaret Atwood
- 4. The Next War , Wilfred Owen
- 5. A Prayer In Time Of War , Alfred Noyes
- 6. War Is Never Over , Cecil L. Harrison
- 7. From A German War Primer , Bertolt Brecht
- 8. In California During The Gulf War , Denise Levertov
- 9. Lessons Of The War , Henry Reed
- 10. War Some More , Sandra Osborne
- 11. Do Not Weep, Maiden, For War Is Kind , Stephen Crane
- 12. Two Poems From The War , Archibald MacLeish
- 13. A Meditation In Time Of War , William Butler Yeats
- 14. On Receiving News Of The War , Isaac Rosenberg
- 15. Meditations In Time Of Civil War , William Butler Yeats
- 16. Nefarious War , Li Po
- 17. Repression Of War Experience , Siegfried Sassoon
- 18. On Being Asked For A War Poem , William Butler Yeats
- 19. War Music [down On Your Knees, Achilles] , Christopher Logue
- 20. Spring In War Time , Sara Teasdale
- 21. Memorial Day For The War Dead , Yehuda Amichai
- 22. The Next War , Robert Graves
- 23. War Of The Worlds , john tiong chunghoo
- 24. Woman And War , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 25. Sonnet 46: Mine Eye And Heart Are At A M.. , William Shakespeare
- 26. War Profit Litany , Allen Ginsberg
- 27. War-Music , Henry Van Dyke
- 28. Dusk In War Time , Sara Teasdale
- 29. At The War Office, London (Affixing The .. , Thomas Hardy
- 30. To Lucasta On Going To The War - For The.. , Robert Graves
- 31. War...War...War... , joe yourmom
- 32. Song-Books Of The War , Siegfried Sassoon
- 33. War Song , John Davidson
- 34. At The War Office, London. , Thomas Hardy
- 35. The War Films , Sir Henry Newbolt
- 36. A Date With An Anti-War Protester , Chuck Audette
- 37. The Holy War , Rudyard Kipling
- 38. There Was Crimson Clash Of War. , Stephen Crane
- 39. On A Line From Valéry (The Gulf War) , Carolyn Kizer
- 40. War Song , Thomas Moore
- 41. - Love Is War! , Ronberge (anno primo)
- 42. Man's Civil War , Robert Southwell
- 43. Tell Brave Deeds Of War , Stephen Crane
- 44. War , Charles Wagner
- 45. Fortune Of War , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 46. They Gave Us A War That Nobody Wanted , Patrick O'Donnell
- 47. War And Peace , Franklin Pierce Adams
- 48. A Radical War Song , Thomas Babbington Macaulay
- 49. Declaration Of War , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 50. The Ashantee War , William Topaz McGonagall
New War Poems
- War, Peace&cry, r ashish kumar
- Love Versus Terrorism - Part 1 - Poems O.., Nikhil Parekh
- Please Stop War, Nikhil Parekh
- A Declaration Of War Anytime, Anywhere, .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Ghastly War Could Only Win, Nikhil Parekh
- The Stupidity Of Nations Crossing Swords, Daya Nandan
- War Is..., bethanny taylor
- A Fourth World War Will Be Inevitable An.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tom Zart War Poems, Tom Zart
- War Is..., C Jay Caputo
- carpe diem