War Poems - Poems For War - Love And War
Poems about war. You can read the best war poems. Browse through all war poems.
Love And War - Poem by Ovid
Lovers all are soldiers, and Cupid has his campaigns:
I tell you, Atticus, lovers all are soldiers.
Youth is fit for war, and also fit for Venus.
Imagine an aged soldier, an elderly lover!
A general looks for spirit in his brave soldiery;
a pretty girl wants spirit in her companions.
Both stay up all night long, and each sleeps on the ground;
one guards his mistress's doorway, one his general's.
The soldier's lot requires far journeys; send his girl,
the zealous lover will follow her anywhere.
He'll cross the glowering mountains, the rivers swollen with storm;
he'll tread a pathway through the heaped-up snows;
and never whine of raging Eurus when he sets sail
or wait for stars propitious for his voyage.
Who but lovers and soldiers endure the chill of night,
and blizzards interspersed with driving rain?
The soldier reconnoiters among the dangerous foe;
the lover spies to learn his rival's plans.
Soldiers besiege strong cities; lovers, a harsh girl's home;
one storms town gates, the other storms house doors.
It's clever strategy to raid a sleeping foe
and slay an unarmed host by force of arms.
(That's how the troops of Thracian Rhesus met their doom,
and you, O captive steeds, forsook your master.)
Well, lovers take advantage of husbands when they sleep,
launching surprise attacks while the enemy snores.
To slip through bands of guards and watchful sentinels
is always the soldier's mission - and the lover's.
Mars wavers; Venus flutters: the conquered rise again,
and those you'd think could never fall, lie low.
So those who like to say that love is indolent
should stop: Love is the soul of enterprise.
Sad Achilles burns for Briseis, his lost darling:
Trojans, smash the Greeks' power while you may!
From Andromache's embrace Hector went to war;
his own wife set the helmet on his head;
and High King Agamemnon, looking on Priam's child,
was stunned (they say) by the Maenad's flowing hair.
And Mars himself was trapped in The Artificer's bonds:
no tale was more notorious in heaven.
I too was once an idler, born for careless ease;
my shady couch had made my spirit soft.
But care for a lovely girl aroused me from my sloth
and bid me to enlist in her campaign.
So now you see me forceful, in combat all night long.
If you want a life of action, fall in love.
- translated from the Latin by Jon Corelis
Comments about Love And War by Ovid
Poems About War
- 1. A War Song To Englishmen , William Blake
- 2. The Next War , Wilfred Owen
- 3. Love And War , Ovid
- 4. A Prayer In Time Of War , Alfred Noyes
- 5. War Is Never Over , Cecil L. Harrison
- 6. Sekhmet, The Lion-Headed Goddess Of War , Margaret Atwood
- 7. From A German War Primer , Bertolt Brecht
- 8. In California During The Gulf War , Denise Levertov
- 9. War Some More , Sandra Osborne
- 10. Lessons Of The War , Henry Reed
- 11. Nefarious War , Li Po
- 12. On Receiving News Of The War , Isaac Rosenberg
- 13. Do Not Weep, Maiden, For War Is Kind , Stephen Crane
- 14. Two Poems From The War , Archibald MacLeish
- 15. A Meditation In Time Of War , William Butler Yeats
- 16. Meditations In Time Of Civil War , William Butler Yeats
- 17. Repression Of War Experience , Siegfried Sassoon
- 18. On Being Asked For A War Poem , William Butler Yeats
- 19. Woman And War , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 20. The Next War , Robert Graves
- 21. War Of The Worlds , john tiong chunghoo
- 22. Spring In War Time , Sara Teasdale
- 23. Dusk In War Time , Sara Teasdale
- 24. Sonnet 46: Mine Eye And Heart Are At A M.. , William Shakespeare
- 25. Memorial Day For The War Dead , Yehuda Amichai
- 26. War-Music , Henry Van Dyke
- 27. There Was Crimson Clash Of War. , Stephen Crane
- 28. War Music [down On Your Knees, Achilles] , Christopher Logue
- 29. At The War Office, London (Affixing The .. , Thomas Hardy
- 30. Song-Books Of The War , Siegfried Sassoon
- 31. To Lucasta On Going To The War - For The.. , Robert Graves
- 32. War...War...War... , joe yourmom
- 33. War Profit Litany , Allen Ginsberg
- 34. War Song , John Davidson
- 35. At The War Office, London. , Thomas Hardy
- 36. The War Films , Sir Henry Newbolt
- 37. The Holy War , Rudyard Kipling
- 38. War Song , Thomas Moore
- 39. - Love Is War! , Ronberge (anno primo)
- 40. Man's Civil War , Robert Southwell
- 41. Tell Brave Deeds Of War , Stephen Crane
- 42. War , Charles Wagner
- 43. Fortune Of War , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 44. A Radical War Song , Thomas Babbington Macaulay
- 45. They Gave Us A War That Nobody Wanted , Patrick O'Donnell
- 46. A Date With An Anti-War Protester , Chuck Audette
- 47. Declaration Of War , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 48. The Ashantee War , William Topaz McGonagall
- 49. War Torn , James Mills
- 50. On A Line From Valéry (The Gulf War) , Carolyn Kizer
New War Poems
- War, Peace&cry, r ashish kumar
- Love Versus Terrorism - Part 1 - Poems O.., Nikhil Parekh
- Please Stop War, Nikhil Parekh
- A Declaration Of War Anytime, Anywhere, .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Ghastly War Could Only Win, Nikhil Parekh
- The Stupidity Of Nations Crossing Swords, Daya Nandan
- War Is..., bethanny taylor
- A Fourth World War Will Be Inevitable An.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tom Zart War Poems, Tom Zart
- War Is..., C Jay Caputo
- carpe diem