War Poems - Poems For War - A Radical War Song
Poems about war. You can read the best war poems. Browse through all war poems.
A Radical War Song - Poem by Thomas Babbington Macaulay
Awake, arise, the hour is come,
For rows and revolutions;
There's no receipt like pike and drum
For crazy constitutions.
Close, close the shop! Break, break the loom,
Desert your hearths and furrows,
And throng in arms to seal the doom
Of England's rotten boroughs.
We'll stretch that tort'ring Castlereagh
On his own Dublin rack, sir;
We'll drown the King in Eau de vie,
The Laureate in his sack, sir,
Old Eldon and his sordid hag
In molten gold we'll smother,
And stifle in his own green bag
The Doctor and his brother.
In chains we'll hang in fair Guildhall
The City's famed recorder,
And next on proud St Stephen's fall,
Though Wynne should squeak to order.
In vain our tyrants then shall try
To 'scape our martial law, sir;
In vain the trembling Speaker cry
That "Strangers must withdraw," sir.
Copley to hang offends no text;
A rat is not a man, sir:
With schedules, and with tax bills next
We'll bury pious Van, sir.
The slaves who loved the income Tax,
We'll crush by scores, like mites, sir,
And him, the wretch who freed the blacks,
And more enslaved the whites, sir.
The peer shall dangle from his gate,
The bishop from his steeple,
Till all recanting, own, the State
Means nothing but the People.
We'll fix the church's revenues
On Apostolic basis,
One coat, one scrip, one pair of shoes
Shall pay their strange grimaces.
We'll strap the bar's deluding train
In their own darling halter,
And with his big church bible brain
The parson at the altar.
Hail glorious hour, when fair Reform
Shall bless our longing nation,
And Hunt receive commands to form
A new administration.
Carlisle shall sit enthroned, where sat
Our Cranmer and our Secker;
And Watson show his snow-white hat
In England's rich Exchequer.
The breast of Thistlewood shall wear
Our Wellesley's star and sash, man:
And many a mausoleum fair
Shall rise to honest Cashman.
Then, then beneath the nine-tailed cat
Shall they who used it writhe, sir;
And curates lean, and rectors fat,
Shall dig the ground they tithe, sir.
Down with your Bayleys, and your Bests,
Your Giffords, and your Gurneys:
We'll clear the island of the pests,
Which mortals name attorneys.
Down with your sheriffs, and your mayors,
Your registrars, and proctors,
We'll live without the lawyer's cares,
And die without the doctor's.
No discontented fair shall pout
To see her spouse so stupid;
We'll tread the torch of Hymen out,
And live content with Cupid.
Then, when the high-born and the great
Are humbled to our level,
On all the wealth of Church and State,
Like aldermen, we'll revel.
We'll live when hushed the battle's din,
In smoking and in cards, sir,
In drinking unexcised gin,
And wooing fair Poissardes, sir.
Comments about A Radical War Song by Thomas Babbington Macaulay
Poems About War
- 1. A War Song To Englishmen , William Blake
- 2. The Next War , Wilfred Owen
- 3. Love And War , Ovid
- 4. A Prayer In Time Of War , Alfred Noyes
- 5. War Is Never Over , Cecil L. Harrison
- 6. Sekhmet, The Lion-Headed Goddess Of War , Margaret Atwood
- 7. From A German War Primer , Bertolt Brecht
- 8. War Some More , Sandra Osborne
- 9. In California During The Gulf War , Denise Levertov
- 10. Lessons Of The War , Henry Reed
- 11. Do Not Weep, Maiden, For War Is Kind , Stephen Crane
- 12. Nefarious War , Li Po
- 13. Repression Of War Experience , Siegfried Sassoon
- 14. Meditations In Time Of Civil War , William Butler Yeats
- 15. Two Poems From The War , Archibald MacLeish
- 16. A Meditation In Time Of War , William Butler Yeats
- 17. On Receiving News Of The War , Isaac Rosenberg
- 18. On Being Asked For A War Poem , William Butler Yeats
- 19. Spring In War Time , Sara Teasdale
- 20. Sonnet 46: Mine Eye And Heart Are At A M.. , William Shakespeare
- 21. War Of The Worlds , john tiong chunghoo
- 22. Woman And War , Ella Wheeler Wilcox
- 23. War Music [down On Your Knees, Achilles] , Christopher Logue
- 24. Memorial Day For The War Dead , Yehuda Amichai
- 25. The Next War , Robert Graves
- 26. War-Music , Henry Van Dyke
- 27. Song-Books Of The War , Siegfried Sassoon
- 28. Dusk In War Time , Sara Teasdale
- 29. The War Films , Sir Henry Newbolt
- 30. War Profit Litany , Allen Ginsberg
- 31. At The War Office, London (Affixing The .. , Thomas Hardy
- 32. To Lucasta On Going To The War - For The.. , Robert Graves
- 33. War...War...War... , joe yourmom
- 34. War Song , John Davidson
- 35. At The War Office, London. , Thomas Hardy
- 36. War Song , Thomas Moore
- 37. They Gave Us A War That Nobody Wanted , Patrick O'Donnell
- 38. The Holy War , Rudyard Kipling
- 39. - Love Is War! , Ronberge (anno primo)
- 40. Man's Civil War , Robert Southwell
- 41. Tell Brave Deeds Of War , Stephen Crane
- 42. War , Charles Wagner
- 43. There Was Crimson Clash Of War. , Stephen Crane
- 44. Fortune Of War , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 45. A Date With An Anti-War Protester , Chuck Audette
- 46. A Radical War Song , Thomas Babbington Macaulay
- 47. Declaration Of War , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 48. The Ashantee War , William Topaz McGonagall
- 49. War Torn , James Mills
- 50. On A Line From Valéry (The Gulf War) , Carolyn Kizer
New War Poems
- War, Peace&cry, r ashish kumar
- Love Versus Terrorism - Part 1 - Poems O.., Nikhil Parekh
- Please Stop War, Nikhil Parekh
- A Declaration Of War Anytime, Anywhere, .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Ghastly War Could Only Win, Nikhil Parekh
- The Stupidity Of Nations Crossing Swords, Daya Nandan
- War Is..., bethanny taylor
- A Fourth World War Will Be Inevitable An.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tom Zart War Poems, Tom Zart
- War Is..., C Jay Caputo
- carpe diem