Wedding Poems - Poems For Wedding - Wedding Song - Poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe | Poem Hunter
Poems about wedding. You can read the best wedding poems. Browse through all wedding poems.
Wedding Song - Poem by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
THE tale of the Count our glad song shall record
Who had in this castle his dwelling,
Where now ye are feasting the new-married lord,
His grandson of whom we are telling.
The Count as Crusader had blazon'd his fame,
Through many a triumph exalted his name,
And when on his steed to his dwelling he came,
His castle still rear'd its proud head,
But servants and wealth had all fled.
'Tis true that thou, Count, hast return'd to thy home,
But matters are faring there ill.
The winds through the chambers at liberty roam,
And blow through the windows at will
What's best to be done in a cold autumn night?
Full many I've pass'd in more piteous plight;
The morn ever settles the matter aright.
Then quick, while the moon shines so clear,
To bed on the straw, without fear,
And whilst in a soft pleasing slumber he lay,
A motion he feels 'neath his bed.
The rat, an he likes it, may rattle away!
Ay, had he but crumbs there outspread!
But lo! there appears a diminutive wight,
A dwarf 'tis, yet graceful, and bearing a light,
With orator-gestures that notice invite,
At the feet of the Count on the floor
Who sleeps not, though weary full sore.
"We've long been accustom'd to hold here our feast,
Since thou from thy castle first went;
And as we believed thou wert far in the East,
To revel e'en now we were bent.
And if thou'lt allow it, and seek not to chide,
We dwarfs will all banquet with pleasure and pride,
To honour the wealthy, the beautiful bride
Says the Count with a smile, half-asleep;--
"Ye're welcome your quarters to keep!"
Three knights then advance, riding all in a group,
Who under the bed were conceal'd;
And then is a singing and noise-making troop
Of strange little figures reveal'd;
And waggon on waggon with all kinds of things--
The clatter they cause through the ear loudly rings--
The like ne'er was seen save in castles of kings;
At length, in a chariot of gold,
The bride and the guests too, behold!
Then all at full gallop make haste to advance,
Each chooses his place in the hall;
With whirling and waltzing, and light joyous dance,
They begin with their sweethearts the ball.
The fife and the fiddle all merrily sound,
Thy twine, and they glide, and with nimbleness bound,
Thy whisper, and chatter, and, chatter around;
The Count on the scene casts his eye,
And seems in a fever to lie.
They hustle, and bustle, and rattle away
On table, on bench, and on stool;
Then all who had joined in the festival gay
With their partners attempt to grow cool.
The hams and the sausages nimbly they bear,
And meat, fish, and poultry in plenty are there,
Surrounded with wine of the vintage most rare:
And when they have revell'd full long,
They vanish at last with a song.
And if we're to sing all that further occurr'd,
Pray cease ye to bluster and prate;
For what he so gladly in small saw and heard
He enjoy'd and he practis'd in great.
For trumpets, and singing, and shouts without end
On the bridal-train, chariots and horsemen attend,
They come and appear, and they bow and they bend,
In merry and countless array.
Thus was it, thus is it to-day.
Comments about Wedding Song by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Poems About Wedding
- 1. The Wedding , Sidney Lanier
- 2. On A Wedding Anniversary , Dylan Thomas
- 3. Wedding Toast , Richard Wilbur
- 4. The Wedding , lady grace
- 5. Tin Wedding Whistle , Ogden Nash
- 6. Wedding-Ring , Denise Levertov
- 7. At The Wedding-March , Gerard Manley Hopkins
- 8. Hiawatha's Wedding-Feast , Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- 9. Wedding-Hymn , Sidney Lanier
- 10. At A Hasty Wedding , Thomas Hardy
- 11. A Slice Of Wedding Cake , Robert Graves
- 12. The Wedding Shop , Ernestine Northover
- 13. On The Night Of A Friend's Wedding , Edwin Arlington Robinson
- 14. The Wedding Ring , Robert William Service
- 15. Maran-Milan (Death-Wedding) , Rabindranath Tagore
- 16. The Wedding Dance In The Open Air , William Carlos Williams
- 17. Wedding Picture Face Down , Uriah Hamilton
- 18. The Wedding Ring Dance , Anne Sexton
- 19. The Wedding Of The Rose And The Lotos , Vachel Lindsay
- 20. Peasant Wedding , William Carlos Williams
- 21. Wedding Song , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 22. Wedding , Vasko Popa
- 23. ~ My Mom’s Wedding ~ , MS. NIVEDITA BAGCHI SPC. UK.
- 24. Wedding Night , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 25. The Iron Wedding Rings , Henry Lawson
- 26. To My Husband On Our Wedding-Day , Rosanna Eleanor Leprohon
- 27. Wedding Bells , Nikunj Sharma
- 28. The Silver One-Carlita's Wedding Vows , Lonnie Hicks
- 29. To Love And A Wedding , Matthew Holloway
- 30. ! ! ! ! At A Wedding...! ! ! ! ! , Mamta Agarwal
- 31. Wedding Song , Sappho
- 32. Silver Wedding , Vernon Scannell
- 33. Edmund's Wedding , Mary Darby Robinson
- 34. (harichandran) 04 The King's Wedding (I) , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 35. A Winter Wedding. , Fay Slimm
- 36. Bab's Wedding Song , Scarlett Treat
- 37. Grandma's Wedding Shoes , Ravi Kopra
- 38. Sir Curt's Wedding-Journey , Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- 39. 08. Spring Wedding (Charles And Camilla) , john tiong chunghoo
- 40. On My Wedding-Day , George Gordon Byron
- 41. Happy Wedding Anniversary Meggie , David Harris
- 42. The Golden Wedding Of Sterling And Sarah.. , Sidney Lanier
- 43. Sounds Of Wedding Bells , Sylvia Chidi
- 44. Epigram On My Wedding- Day To Penelope , George Gordon Byron
- 45. Summer Wedding Autumn Dad , Lonnie Hicks
- 46. The Wedding Sermon , Coventry Patmore
- 47. A Wedding March , Wilfrid Scawen Blunt
- 48. (harichandran) 05 The King’s Wedding (Ii) , Rajaram Ramachandran
- 49. The Wedding Band , Forough Farrokhzad
- 50. Wedding Ring , David Harris
New Wedding Poems
- Celebrity Weddings (In India), Bernedita Rosinha Pinto
- July 2018 Showcase Of Poems... [ Found O.., Bri Edwards
- In The Joy Of The Wedding Day, Pierre Rausch
- Pride (Mod.), Joanna Hoffman
- Une Tranche Du Gateau De Noce.(Translati.., Michael Walker
- WILD FLOWERS, Caroline Bird
- Wedding, emebet mesfin
- Matthew Chapter Twenty-Two, Day Williams
- July Love's, Nia Bahri
- On the Sadness of Wedding Dresses, James Galvin
- carpe diem