Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

• Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip Rookie - 1st Stage (10/1/2014 2:54:00 AM) Post reply

To improve the the poetry one must be Religious man qand read more about the religious books and philosophical books in order to improve the poetry writing

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/29/2014 11:20:00 PM) Post reply

Writing poetry and its capability is actually a very good blessing one gets through his own reading, learning, and also observing the life events and nature etc. Good and great poetry is for enjoyment as well as social awakening and I think poets have a responsibility to the readers and something as poetry they could not contented with. Best of ideas always will be welcomed and accepted.

• Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/28/2014 6:50:00 PM) Post reply

Since Poetry is a work of art the best poem is the one you write for yourself...

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/27/2014 2:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Reading more poems helps even if you are poet or not. You need to know others' styles. Thanks.

Replies for this message:
  • Mark Sebert Rookie - 1st Stage (9/27/2014 8:38:00 AM) Post reply

I have discovered the best way to improve my poetry is to connect to my readers by asking questions. Is my poem interesting?Does it have a purpose?Does it produce the right emotion?And most importantly does my poem really communicate to the reader. Another crucial element is to not limit the poem, sometimes it has a mind of its own. To do this I do not make hard and fast rules, second even though I do not make hard and fast rules I strive to not title my poem until it is done (unless during a workshop) , and I always read my poem out loud. It may seem simple, but I got this sinking feeling that many amateur poets like me skip out on this part.

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/26/2014 1:21:00 PM) Post reply

We need to write about anything and about everything just to show things in a poetic style, then people will enjoy later on.

• Gajanan Mishra Silver Star - 5th Stage (9/23/2014 7:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Writing poetry is not a joke or a farce,
    what you said in poetry is also not final,
    It is just to ignite the fire, that is there
    as before and you have nothing to
    do more but to declare it is there.

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/25/2014 8:04:00 AM) Post reply

They are very pretty lines of poetry. The truth is that we can not prevent anyone from writing what he wants, but can he survive?Writing is something and surviving is another thing among a lot of writ ... more

• Jacqueline Nash Rookie - 1st Stage (9/22/2014 9:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The main thing when writing poetry is that you enjoy writing it. Whether it is written to send a message, as a cathartic process or exercise or purely to write a beautiful flow of words describing an experience, or of anything that has inspired you, it doesn't matter. People often try to defend their style of poetry by denigrating others. I say it doesn't matter, ignore them, choose your own style, work on it, improve on it until you are happy with the results. Everybody has their own preference when it comes to poetry and you can't please everybody, so stay true to yourself and write what comes naturally to you. It's not some competition of who can write more intellectually than somebody else, it's about passion and getting that over the best way you can. I write purely for the enjoyment of it, should any of my poetry get published then that would be a bonus. So, good luck and just keep working at it.

• Mohammad Skati Bronze Star - 4th Stage (9/22/2014 8:25:00 AM) Post reply

Before we start writing poetry, we need to ask ourselves about the aims of writing poetry. Do we write just for any aim or just for fun?Writing poetry is a great job that depends on the person himself or herself anytime.

• Nikola Pajtic Rookie - 1st Stage (9/21/2014 11:05:00 AM) Post reply

Hi everybody?I started writing songs when I was 16...Now I m 24...I m from Serbia, but I write songs in english...
    I would like you to tell me, what do you think of this little thingy :)

Tell me..Will you dance for rain tonight?
    Ask her to remedy your scars...
    And before it touches the ground...
    Cut her open with your smile...

Tell me...Is your darkness any brighter
    When I hold your hand?
    Does your heart beat any faster
    When you know, love commands...

Tell me...won`t you tickle the evil that lies under your bed?
    Put your walls of sorrow down, and enjoy the show,
    Ask it to ravage the souls of ones who left you for dead..
    And your sun will shine before tomorrow...

Tell me...do you revel in those blue notes that you play?
    Ask them to ease your mind...
    And before the echo reaches your ears
    Silence it with your tears...

Tell me...is it morning already?.

[Hata Bildir]