Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie Michael Harmon (4/16/2009 2:22:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I'm new to this site. Even so, I fail to understand how the previous entry got here, considering this forum is:

Writing poetry Ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas how to write better.

• Rookie Michael Tunduli (4/16/2009 4:05:00 AM) Post reply

Write from your heart and with as few words as you can.

• Rookie Sara S (4/15/2009 3:55:00 PM) Post reply

I used 2 try 2 write 1 poem every day- it doesn't work- you can't just write because you think it's time to- you have to have a poem inside you first......

• Rookie Amanda D (4/13/2009 11:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

First of all, I dont think this is a page where we should find 'Read my article' posted here. If that be it, I imagine, I'd be reading the poem title list of each and every poem which I could easily see on the 'View poem list' page.

I would appreciate if poets could give us helpful tips to go by. Sometimes a poet might have a sudden rush of inspiration that has probably helped him / her and would like to share it. For example, for me to write poetry, I need to first write the plot of the idea perhaps in story form. This is my first draft. If I want to make it a rhyme I try to sort out the different aspects by diving the plot or theme into compartments, and then work my way with it. Free verse is a lot more difficult than one thinks, and to work on a free verse to make it flow, you have to probably draft and redraft your poem so that it doesnt tend to rhyme, although it kinda sticks to a meter.

Lyrical verses have to have a definite tempo. If possible, mention it as a 2/2 beat, or 1/4 beat or perhaps 3/4 or 6/8 beat. Let the reader feel your music without the actual score to it. The idea is to let the reader get with the theme and beat of your verse while at the same time catching on to fit a tune to it automatically, there by making your verse 'click'. Artists grab on to verses that 'get them', even if it doesn't make sense when read aloud, or without music, tempo and rhythm.

For those who are interested in more avenues to 'publishing your writing free' may contact me at mandy12oct@yahoo.com It might be that you are a poet, or even a journalist, an amateur writer, or even one who has published a book and wants to showcase your writing for free. You could even direct fellow readers to view your work online here at poemhunter.com Perhaps it is that outlet you are looking for, or a break to your writing career. All the same, those interested may contact me at the above mentioned email. I would be happy to help.

And here's wishing you 'Happy Creativity'. Always believe that if you have a dream to write, you've already sown the seed of creativity and writing in you. Find ways to nurture it and make it bloom. Keep writing.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (4/15/2009 9:31:00 AM) Post reply

Very nice helpful post.I found that while writing poetry my Muse Of Inspiration which is an ethereal spirit can pop into my head anytime around the clock with ideas and then demands that I write them ... more

• Gold Star - 5,611 Points Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (4/12/2009 1:00:00 PM) Post reply

If you have the time please read my newest poem SPEAK OF LOVE.It was inspired by Genesis, Eros and Psyche and is philisophical.There is twist of meanings in the end.I spent a week writing it in stages as the ideas came to me and then revising it.Hope you find my poem enlightening.It's on page 10 of my poetry collection.Thank you

• Rookie Jeaneth sithole (4/6/2009 1:52:00 AM) Post reply

my greetings...i would really appreciate if you kindly read my poem ' about to break free ' by Jeaneth Sithole and comment. thank ya all in advance

• Rookie Stephen Stirk (4/1/2009 11:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

These is menny ways to improove you's poetry
    Firstly ave a good think abowt wot you intend to rite
    Dont take you's self too cereally
    By loads of paper
    Dont keep writin 'dropp your valued comment' on peoples stuff
    Do loads of readin (My fave rit is the womans own)
    Say werds like 'meter' when you make commence)
    Another goodun is rithum.
    Poems can be dead ard sometimes

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Amanda D (4/13/2009 11:16:00 PM) Post reply

Cool way to put The essence of commenting If this be followed well I'd improve my poor writing.

• Rookie Trade Martin (4/1/2009 4:07:00 PM) Post reply

Mr, Step an Stirk, eye tink yo unda stan wat u be meenin.

• Rookie Rachel Carbis (4/1/2009 9:21:00 AM) Post reply

hi im quite new to this, i find writing helps me clear what im feeling at the time, i would be greatful if you could comment on my work and help me to better myself.

many thanks all

• Rookie - 0 Points Emancipation Planz (3/30/2009 9:33:00 PM) Post reply

Just for fun, I thought I was time to add some pretty colour to the page! ! aroha xx

• Gold Star - 5,611 Points Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (3/28/2009 10:17:00 AM) Post reply

Just for fun I thought I would offer a contest(sorry no prizes just my hearfelt gratitude) in which you can offer your opinion on the comment section of my Kigo Entries (versions) .

Thank you for taking a look...and let me know what you think.These mini-haiku gems didn't win anything in the kigo contest but they are more of a challenge for me to write than the 5-7-5 3 lined haiku format is.

[Hata Bildir]