Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Mad Scroach (5/7/2007 5:25:00 AM) Post reply

Hello,

I am a 23 year old Australian poet. I’m fairly new to poemhunter… I thought I'd post a link to my recently completed poetry manuscript SLOW DANCING WITH A SLEEPWALKER.

slowdancingsleepwalker.googlepages.com/slowdancingwithasleepwalker

Thanks & take care,

Mad Scroach

madscroach@gmail.com

• Ananda Alves (5/6/2007 1:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi

I'm new here but I just posted 3 poems of mine.
    I'd like to know if they're good or bad, what can be extracted of them, those things.
    I'd love if you could send me tips and comments.
    I'll reply each one of them.
    Thank you!

Replies for this message:
    • Susie Sunshine (5/9/2007 10:11:00 PM) Post reply

Hi I read some of your poems. There pretty good. Please feel free to read my poems. Let me know what you think. My mom inspired me. Thanks Susie Sunshine

• David Poltergeist (5/9/2007 7:37:00 AM) Post reply

NO, I WILL NOT READ YOUR HORRIBLE POETRY.

• Jessica Ellis (5/3/2007 2:39:00 AM) Post reply

I took poetry classes at college. I especially miss the workshopping. I have been trying to write my way out of a rut with 'How to accentuate a stain'. Please help. I appreciate constructive criticism.

• Michael Pacholski (4/28/2007 3:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is called 'Freeform Workshop'. What I figured I'd see was suggestions/assignments/challenges and poetic exercises. Not quite getting that so I'll start a challenge for anyone willing to pick up.

1) Write down five incomplete phrases of between four to six words each. They don't have to be the first ones that come to mind, but you shouldn't take more than ten minutes. By 'incomplete' I mean that the phrase cannot form a complete idea or sentence.

2) Once you've chosen the five phrases, you can begin writing the poem. All five phrases must be included in the poem.

3) Once you have written a word, that word cannot be edited or deleted (exceptions are mistakes in punctuation and typos) . But you cannot go back and change a word, nor can you go back and add words.

4) Same goes for individual lines. Once they have been written, they cannot be deleted, moved, or changed in any way. Once two consecutive lines have been written, you cannot go back to add anything between them.

There's a peculiar form of Japanese fine art where, once the artist applies the brush to canvas, they cannot go back and change because the act of lifting and moving the brush back damages the canvas. I do this once in a while after I've edited a poem into oblivion. When Miles Davis Quintet was recording 'Kind Of Blue' Miles'd come in with these barely sketched out phrases and he'd ask the band to play and improvise, keep going and see what they could come up with.

• alice sunderland (4/30/2007 10:59:00 AM) Post reply

michael - please show me an example of what youve come up with for this exercise. simply my curiosity - and it may give me more of an idea of what to do. cheers. al

• Gemma Nolan (4/23/2007 6:56:00 PM) Post reply

hey i've just joined, and i didn't know where else to write! ! i'd like you to read my poems, perhaps leave a comment? ? my poems are: Difficult Times, and Dear Grandad (R.I.P St. Patrick's Day 2005) thanks, Gem xxx

• Alaric Darcy (4/19/2007 10:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

i need help with a poem it has got to be about water heres what i have wrote so far
    the crystal blanket comforts the rocks beneath it
    the gentle waves flow back and forth onto the sand
    reaching no destination

plz help me finish it

• Susie Sunshine (5/9/2007 10:18:00 PM) Post reply

Hi My name is Susie Sunshine The water comes and the water goes. No one knows where it will go Does this help Sunshine

• Hannah Chiz (5/1/2007 4:44:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

take out that last line for now and save it for the very last line of the whole poem. Its that line thats tripping you up, it doesnt belong in the middle of a poem, its a conclusive sentance. take it ... more

• Brandon Butler (5/1/2007 11:57:00 AM) Post reply

the crystal blanket comforts the rocks beneath it the gentle waves flow back and forth onto the sand reaching no destination with no hesitation drifting far and wide Wave break on shore, with ... more

• Sam Finley (4/25/2007 11:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i could probably help you but you wouldn ... more

• 1111 51 (4/19/2007 7:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I wrote a poem but I don't know how to post it. Someone can help me?

• Ernestine Northover Rookie - 1st Stage (4/24/2007 6:18:00 AM) Post reply

Some people manage somehow to copy and paste onto Poemhunter, but I go to 'Member Area' the click on 'Manage Your Poems' then click on 'Submit a Poem'. Schroll down and you will find a box to type you ... more

• Sarah Adams (4/19/2007 4:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I wrote a poem and i was wondering if there is any need to change or make it better...

• Ernestine Northover Rookie - 1st Stage (4/24/2007 6:20:00 AM) Post reply

Unless you post it on your site here or put it on this forum, then no one can comment on whether or not they think it needs any adjustments. Feel free to try us out.

• Rolland Heiss (4/18/2007 2:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I'm not sure I have any good advice when it comes to improving poetry and I'm not sure it is correct to tell anyone that what they create needs improving. A work is born and exists just as it was meant to be. That's how I look at it.

I can say however that with my writing I tend to get bored quickly. So I rarely sit down to write with an idea in mind. I let the poem filter in from god knows where and even though I'm the writer I have no idea where or how the poem will end or what line is coming next. This keeps me interested long enough to actually finish something instead of getting frustrated when I try to force a poem.

• Brandon Butler Rookie - 1st Stage (5/3/2007 10:31:00 AM) Post reply

I concur, though I don't know why. I'm not very knowledgeable in poetry. I am one that is naturally given this ability. So alot of times I don't really know how to speak in critiquing others work. Tho ... more

• Paul Butters Rookie - 1st Stage (4/18/2007 5:22:00 PM) Post reply

Sounds like me this! However, read something somewhere about Yeats writing HIS stuff in prose then CRAFTING it in verse! gladly Not tried forcing any poems - they just come thru somehow! Trouble is, s ... more

• Paul Butters Rookie - 1st Stage (4/16/2007 12:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

A few weeks ago a young poet asked around for advice. He received many replies. As he is a self confessed dyslexic, it was not too surprising that someone advised him to use a spell-check! Personally, though, I would take issue with such advice. Sure, his prose needs to be spelled (or is it spelt?) correctly. Yet poems such as “Jabberwocky” show that spelling is open to “poetic licence”!

Which begs the question: Just what do We want from our poetry? What should we class as “Good”? If anything.

I remember studying Dryden’s “Absalom and Achitophel” in the sixth form. Clever stuff. Oxymorons, and antithesis if I remember. Yet frankly, for me most of this is not poetry. Great verse maybe but… I much prefer what James Reeves (John Morris) called “magic”: by poets such as Shakespeare, Keats, Shelley, Hopkins…. Lyrical poetry: Visions of Truth: Inner Feelings: Emotions: Scents: Music: Beauty: Soul. Hopkins talked of “Inscapes” and “Instress” I believe. To me the poetic “form” is of secondary importance, though neat when used well! Deep down inspiration and “Feel” is what counts. Anyone got any more ideas on this?

• Michael Pacholski Rookie - 1st Stage (4/28/2007 4:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I like it when a poem literally carries me away and takes unexpected twists and detours. Lately I've been loving poems that concentrate on the outward form of a subject, using all the intensity that l ... more

• Stug Jordan Rookie - 1st Stage (4/17/2007 6:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I understand and agree with what you're saying. I had a similar issue a while back when using poetic forms (sestinas, rondels etc.) . You soon find that an example of one of these forms is pretty usel ... more

[Hata Bildir]