Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Richard Cock III (5/11/2006 9:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

In your opinion, what must a piece of literature contain in order to have or achieve any form of artistic merit?

Replies for this message:
    • Sweetie Sarah<3 (5/13/2006 11:58:00 PM) Post reply

In mine, well, it should have some sort of heart to it. A meaning. A life. Or to make people think about how or what they can change in their life. Nice question. Sweetie Sarah

• Nibedita Deb (5/12/2006 8:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Emotions compressed into words, like rain compressed into drops...Love, N.D.

• Sweetie Sarah<3 (5/11/2006 10:35:00 AM) Post reply

Hey everyone.
    I'm just sayin ' yo, wat up? ! ' to all you fellow poets. If you would like me to read a poem of yours comment on mine, and ill comment back. Thats how i do.
    C Yaz
    Sweetie Sarah

• Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/10/2006 4:26:00 AM) Post reply

Heya everyone!

Hope you're all doing well! I was wondering if you could read a couple of my poems (I know there are quite a few but recently I've been writing loads so I just uploaded them all! : P) .

For people who are in a romantic mood I'd recommend:
    Butterfly Boy
    Supernaturally Yours
    Never Been Kissed
    The Girl Next Door.

For those you you who want to have a laugh, I'd recommend
    Never Been Kissed
    The Girl Next Door
    Y Fronts

The poems which are quite serious are:
    Road To Normality
    The Immortal Question: Why?
    The Meaningless Sorry.

You don't have to read all of them if you don't want to, but I'd be really grateful if you did. I'll leave comments on yours too! Thanks very much!

:)

• Faith Elizabeth Brigham (5/9/2006 5:39:00 AM) Post reply

I personally feel and this is only my opinion, of course, that true inspiration comes when we set our egos aside and just let the words flow. There was one brief period inmy life when it seemed as though I was unable to write anything at all. I believe the major hindrance came from a battle with my ego. I later learned the secrets of writing good poetry. Let your spirit guide you, write from the heart and believe in yourself! Lastly, never force your writing because it will show in your work. Oh, and before I forget it, always remember Rule #1. Write! Write! Write! Make time to write. It's alot like playing the piano. The more you practice the better you get at it!

• Red Blooded Black Hearted (5/8/2006 11:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey All my name is Marissa Ingram, I was wondering if any1 had any tips on writing really good poetry. I have some ideas but I'd like more so my poetry can be better than it is now.

Thank you for reading.: -)

• Dustin Bennefield (5/22/2006 12:07:00 PM) Post reply

Well we would all like to be a better writer. You should really just go with what you have poetry is from the heart and doesn't have to be understood or anything else. Just remember that you are bette ... more

• Richard Cock III (5/5/2006 12:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies

Any of you have any actualy methods or processes or even rituals that you go through before beginning a piece?

• Mary-Elizabeth Conn (5/10/2006 9:59:00 AM) Post reply

I write in the evening normally, but it varies. Best thing to do is carry a notebook around with you 24/7 so even if you're on the bus and you get inspiration it won't go to waste! That means hide a n ... more

• Red Blooded Black Hearted (5/8/2006 6:25:00 PM) Post reply

I try and clear my head and then think of a topic that I feel strongly about. Sometimes I don't even need to do that, if something happened that mady me happy, angry or depressed all I need is a compu ... more

• Siona Doyle-McLaughlin (5/7/2006 7:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

No rituals in my case. Also, I found that I couldn't write poems that had to follow the specific teachings of formal poetry. Anyone who loves to write can be a 'poet' in his or her own right. What ... more

• Vega Star (5/6/2006 9:56:00 PM) Post reply

The only rule of writing is just let it ... more

• Nibedita Deb (5/5/2006 10:36:00 PM) Post reply

It may sound odd - but I make it a point ... more

• Dana Tyrrell (5/5/2006 3:57:00 PM) Post reply

i only write at night, that seems to hel ... more

• Mike Finley (5/1/2006 12:47:00 PM) Post reply

Poem: 3199187 - A Prayer of Anselm
    Member: Andrew Konisberg

Comment: Whilst being interested in theology, I find expressed religious belief often an awkward read. This is because -almost inevitably- comes a line about God being mysterious, the narrator not being fit enough to touch to touch the hem of God's garment etcetera or talk about a great plan...Paley's teleological argument. I am aware that you have credited this piece to Anselm but I read your two recent 'prayers' and struggled with them for the same reasons. If it makes sense, I find the approach to much of the love-based poetry here guilty of similar tensions. It's not really a negative relationship I have with the concept of God (or love) , it's just the way the theme is dealt with. Nice to see Anselm making an 'appearance' on the site though.

Poem: 3199187 - A Prayer of Anselm
    Member: Mike Finley

Comment: Thanks, Andrew. I merely posted Anselm, Merton etc for the folks here who have expressed some interest in this kind of poetry.

My attitude is: Nothing's for Everybody. One of the problems a poem has is, who is it for?

Should we assume 'minimum values' in our readers - not taking anything for granted in a poem, no assuming any conviction of any kind on the reader - in order to assure maximum agreement on an assertion?

This is a form of bending over backward politicalcorrectness - not wanting to offend anyone by mentioning that there is a backstory to the universe that so tickles and perplexes us.

It is the heart of the notion of pluralism and it is built on fairness and it is in many ways A Good Thing.

But - I can't have all the poetry palaver I want there, so I will look elsewhere besides.

• Nibedita Deb (5/1/2006 9:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hi everyone,

Something that I wanted to know:

What is 'haiku' about. I hear a lot of discussion on this topic in this site and other, but till date I got to understand nothing but this that it is always very tiny. I may sound awkward - but the truth is I don't know and I NEED to know- I am in class 11 and till now I read nothing called haiku in my English syllabus or the poetry books I have referred to. Could I posssibly be helped?

Thx, - N.D.

• Aldo Kraas (1/26/2007 9:30:00 PM) Post reply

Haiku is a small poem can be of three words I seen written like that before To find about haiku You have to go to poetry.com There is a contest And you click the contest that says Haiku You hav ... more

• Sonny Rainshine (5/1/2006 12:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Strictly speaking, a haiku is a three-line poem with the first line having 5 syllables, the second having 7, and the third having 5. Typically the subject is something about nature, such as the moon, ... more

• Sonny Rainshine (4/30/2006 10:34:00 AM) Post reply

I stumbled across a fantastic book on writing haiku, if anyone is interested. It's by Joan Giroux and is called 'The Haiku Form.' It was published in 1974, so it may be hard to actually purchase it. I think it is the best book on the subject I've ever read and is concise but thorough. She points out, for one thing, that many Japanese readers of English haiku note that most of what they see in English are not really haiku, but rather senryu-same 17 syllables, same three lines as haiku, but containing a message or philosophical observation. Traditional haiku are not directly philosophical, but kind of like a painting or drawing. Giroux illustrates this by displaying 3 separate translations of the same Japanese haiku. In one:
    'Collecting all the rains of May, /How swiftly flows the Mogami! ', she points out that the word 'How' is a comment. You could even say that the exclamation point at the end of 'Mogami! ' is expressing an opinion. Anyway, it's a very interesting and helpful resource, I thought.

• Terry Brewer (4/29/2006 8:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would love to see some feedback about the poem I posted this morning called

'Where do we come from - I don't know do you? '

I had some trouble writing this and I am not sure if it works.

The poem number is (apparently) 3180948

Terry Brewer

• Red Blooded Black Hearted (5/8/2006 10:57:00 PM) Post reply

Hey Terry, I just read your poem 'Where did we come from - I don't know do you? ' It's really good, I can't write anything like that, mainly because I don't know how 2 spell most of those words. I hop ... more

[Hata Bildir]