Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Foster Blaine (2/4/2006 3:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Poetry, like independent music, is in essence a minority pursuit. Realisitically, probably less than 5% of people on the planet really READ and are 'into' poetry. This is the first and most important point one must consider when one decides that he/ she is going to become a poet; Your audience is not the average Joes and Janes of the world who sit each night stultified before their televisions; You are not on some grand platform with every human ear attuned to your metaphors and clever little lines. Your readers are people who breathe verse and literature, art and expression. You must satisfy them. I'll say it once more- poetry is a minority pursuit. Your target- the few and the critical. Are you part of that minority? Probably not but why not try? Everyone else does.
    I think another problem with shitty poets is the fact that they don't read enough poetry. They have a simple idea of what a poem is and they don't stray much from that concept. The result is usualy an ABAB rhyming confessional poem with the main point stated early somewhere in the first stanza and relentlessly milked throughout the rest of the poem. My advice... If you weren't born with, you're going to have to work like Hell to get it. So, why not try an easier medium like photography jewelry making?

Replies for this message:
    • Fil LeBoeuf (9/20/2006 7:59:00 AM) Post reply

If you were so 'into' poetry I don't think you would slam others so much like you do. If you were really 'into' poetry you would offer helpful criticism when you feel it is needed. If you were so 'int ... more

• Sonny Rainshine (3/1/2006 3:25:00 PM) Post reply

Good advice. Too many would-be poets don't take the time to learn the craft. But a good friend of mine, responding wisely to my complaints that it's too hard to get a poem published these days, remind ... more

• Tomás O Cárthaigh (1/30/2006 8:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

To write, I normally think of the title first. Then the first four lines create the theme, the next four explore the theme, and often the last six (where a sonnett is written) can give the mening, or a twist to the poem.

That is a great way to write religius poetry, I find.

• Michael Voorhis (1/31/2006 7:37:00 PM) Post reply

I prefer to write it, then read it over to understand everything that i said better. Thats when i try to think of a title. But then again, I dont write religious poetry.

• Ian Blake (1/28/2006 10:05:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Even granting that much of the poetry on here is, as has been said, 'trite and cliched' (which is redundant) , I think more of an effort needs to be made to give concrete and helpful advice to these poets. I feel that some people glance at some poems and instantly think, 'yecch, another 14-year old's poem about suicide with an ABAB ryhme scheme that rhymes 'cry' and 'die'... this isn't worth a second look.' I am guilty of this, myself. Well, perhaps it is bad poetry, but these people are to be admired for having such a dedication to poetry at such a young age, and they should be talked to without condescension. Point out specific rhymes that are tired or forced. Tell them which lines specifically are cliches. Tell them which images have promise and should be brought out more. If you hate it, rate it as a 1 or 2, but at least say something pertinent about it. Writers need to be TRAINED to remove cliches from their writing, because using phrases and ideas one has heard before comes naturally to any writer. With feedback that is pertinent and specific, you will actively help to improve young poets' poetry. With dismissive comments, you will drive them away from poetry. Just my two cents. Anyway, I hope to comment more on the stuff, even the bad stuff that comes through here.

However, it is very hard to do this when people post like 50 THINGS AT ONCE. Please, people, submit one thing at a time. It will make this site better, and it will make your poems better, because it will be easier for people to give timely commentary to your work.

• Mike Finley (3/4/2006 9:10:00 AM) Post reply

I am one of the bad people who put up 50 poems. I didn't know the nature of the service, and it wa snot posted: 'Only put up one or two per day.' I enjoy Poemhunter, but the deeper I look into it, ... more

• JM Howard (2/24/2006 11:47:00 PM) Post reply

Good point, but a lot of the people who sign up here aren't looking for a critical forum. As for myself, I frequent critical forums, but to be honest, I use poemhunter almost solely because it's a hel ... more

• john tiong chunghoo (2/7/2006 8:06:00 AM) Post reply

yes, we are not here to show off but to learn from each other. so offer ideas to help others improve if you can. if not, simple.. just shut up.

• Daniel Tyler (2/2/2006 11:14:00 AM) Post reply

I totally agree Ian.

• Martin A. Ramos (1/26/2006 1:25:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Even if much of the poetry posted here is 'trite and cliched, ' there are some true gems. You just have to search to find them. If we wrote poetry only for the dilettantes, then only the dilettantes would read it. A boring prospect.

• Geraldine Fernandez (1/25/2006 1:00:00 AM) Post reply

hi! i'm just new in this site and i wonder if you'd be interested in reading my poetry creations. i'd really love to receive feedbacks from other poets. ^_^ ^_^

http: //http: //www.poemhunter.com/geraldine-fernandez/poet-135738/

• Henry Phillips (1/18/2006 11:01:00 AM) Post reply | Read 8 replies

I'm afraid to say that most of the poetry posted on this site is laughably trite and horribly cliched. The way to improve is simple:
    1) Do not write about your 'feelings' - they are neither remarkable or interesting and end up producing self-pitying or boring verse.
    2) Read more poetry. It seems that, despite claims to the contrary, very few of you 'poets' actually read poetry. If you did you would learn that your impressions and images are quotidien. Heed Hazlitt's advice - 'whenever you write a line you think is exceedingly fine, strike it out'.
    3) Why do so many of you equate poetry with sincerity? Keep a diary if you wish to write about your self.
    4) If you write in free-verse do it for a reason. Form is content (so said Joyce) - free verse was initially adopted by men like Hardy and eliot to reflect the 'ache of modernity'. It was used to express a sense of alienation from the notion of pattern in the universe. Free-verse should not be the 'easy option'.
    5) If you chose to write in verse please at least make sure that it scans. This is not a difficult task - if a line sounds odd its probably because the rhythms are out. Spend more time working on anomalous-sounding lines.

I hate to go against the trend of self-aggrandising praise but if you want to write poetry as opposed to doggeral you must desist from a simplistic out-pouring of emotion.

• Yuliya Barannik (1/16/2006 4:49:00 PM) Post reply

Hello everyone!
    First of all, i love this site! lots of good poetry, both classic and new.
    i'm really a beginner, i mostly write prose in french and english but i've just put together a document of maybe twenty poems with illustrations, and i've submitted some here

http: //www.poemhunter.com/yuliya-barannik/poet-134072/

Whoever has time i would really love some critical feedback!
    Few people have read my poems (most of my friends aren't into poetry) so i have no idea whether my writings are worth anything, and whether the message is getting through.
    Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading more poetry.

• Martin A. Ramos (1/12/2006 2:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi. For those interested in oriental poetry, I have information on haiku and haiku writing I would like to pass along. Specifically what a haiku is and how one goes about writing one in English. If game, write me at this sight.
    Best, Martin

• Dan Brown (1/10/2006 11:42:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, I guess I'm fairly new here, though I've been here a few days.

Feel free to check out my work and tell me honestly what you think of it, be it good or bad.

I can't agree more with Fab Ricciardi's advice on writing, and he couldn't have put it better. Just write what you feel, what you think, what you like, what you hate! Just let it flow freely into your words.

It feels so liberating being able to express yourself, and NEVER be put off after reading other people's work. A poem is only as good as the poet thinks it is, so go ahead. Write. And if you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

Over and Out.

• Tamara Moir (1/10/2006 2:54:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, I have just posted some new poems on this site and was wondering if I could get some honest feed back from them...Thanks

*+*Tamara*+*

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=101568&poem=2287835

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=101568&poem=2287674

http: //www.poemhunter.com/p/m/poem.asp? poet=101568&poem=2293723

Thanks heaps

*+*Tamara*+*

[Hata Bildir]