Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Rookie - 105 Points Elizabeth Padillo Olesen (6/11/2014 3:20:00 AM) Post reply

Keith is right and I agree with him. Writing poetry is also delving into the depths of our heart. I cannot write poetry without feelings and conviction. These two must be there as propellers to write a poem or to revise and revise a poem. Otherwise if emotions and conviction are really there, one could be lucky that such a piece of poetry does not need to be revised at all. At times, a poet can look at it as perfect creation.

• Rookie - 105 Points Elizabeth Padillo Olesen (6/11/2014 3:16:00 AM) Post reply

Great to know that there is a forum like this at Poemhunter.com. I have not really managed to find out what other offers are available here. To the question on improving poetry, I think it is a matter of feeling the moment, to formulate words and images out of something that has caught your attention. It is delving into it and spending time to give birth to its form and then seeing to it that the thought serves as clasp of the necklace that unites the lines.

• Bronze Star - 6,503 Points Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/10/2014 9:41:00 AM) Post reply

Good command on language and wide reading with lot of life experiences are the essential tools of a good poet that I think. Not only that the experience of human life its black and white situations, sufferings, and also the affluence makes one to understand the life. The nature and its beauty the different facts of nature, is also a point to be reckoned with for getting a inner vision to the poem one who writes the subject. The poems are wonderful creations of the human mind what to say in a poem in such a particular style which the reader tries to understand better based on his own meanings. A good poem that I think is a message to the human being and to the ultimate goodness of society where society is taken as a general subject beyond continental barriers and man made walls of divisions. A real interested reader is beyond the divisions of human made walls but his liking and commitment is to the poet and only the poet who leads him to a world of happiness and innermost feelings and tries to something to himself from the poem.Only universe is the limit of a poet to say his message in such beautiful language, rythm and likes as such by the readers. Here we get a very wide forum of poets with different talents and word power through such beautiful poems which we must take as a chance to understand.

• Rookie - 19 Points Keith Sifelani (6/10/2014 3:20:00 AM) Post reply

First of all i think its something that needs to come deep down your heart
    not something you sit down and just write like school home /work.

• Rookie - 919 Points Kevin Patrick (6/7/2014 2:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is one of my first stabs at an English sonnet, although I did cheat, with the constructs of rhythm, I still have a lot of work

Blind is the ocean to the sound of its motion
    As it roars with momentum of immeasurable melody
    Cascading in whitecaps of sinuous elocution
    Against the gold Shorelines with foam balm fidelity
    And Astounded, I smile as my toes snicker gusto
    Flowing in the convent bonds of primeval sapphire
    That Drips like champagne into my pours and soaked muscles
    Lashing emulsified brine into Salt licking pyres
    Enraptured and serene, my vision twists of blue
    Grazing the vanishing points that single heaven and earth
    Are just the marginal lines of material sinew
    That draws reciprocity from once spiritual hearth
    And the sky sits clear, deaf to these great sights
    As I stand gazing awestruck to this arena of Delight

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 919 Points Catherine Rodgers (6/2/2014 2:27:00 PM) Post reply

My love is sweet
    My love is so sweet
    When you kiss me
    my love is so nice
    that you huge me
    my love is so sweat
    that you love me
    forever....
    I love you that you want for get me or you...
    My love is so sweet taste like honey
    when you ask me to married u i know we up and down then
    I said my love is so sweet

• Rookie - 680 Points Gulsher John (6/1/2014 1:18:00 PM) Post reply

An old man's saga

PRESENT

At dusk
    when twilight falls
    and dyes the sky
    with stygian view, and turns
    the blue and white into
    an Orange hue;
    till the darkness declares,
    the night's feasts and fears.
    (surely a teasing play of Nature,
    where all feelings and fears of man
    are figured like in the theatre)

PAST

'This often travels me back- in time
    we used to sit or thrashing around
    (in such state of frenzy)
    sweetly we hymned
    some loving rhymes.
    (like a tickling breeze thats flirting with your reddened cheeks)
    But don't know how and when,
    we got our hearts cracked and coiled;
    and had masked our smiles.
    (who cut that string and
    let our passion spoiled)

END

Now that
    all those revelries had gone
    that proved both in the wrong,
    (in these yawning hours,
    sitting by the fire alone
    and staring at the dying embers)
    i find myself, only talk to myself,
    and i wish
    to resurrect the past
    and wed again (my heart insane)
    to those 'listless' sights and strains'...
    (what else an old man can do
    on such cold, misty eve.)

• Rookie - 146 Points Anand Brown (5/28/2014 7:57:00 AM) Post reply

Improving your poetry writing skills is a skill that needs constant practicing. Reading a lot of poetry will help you gain content on themes and extracts you might want to use in your work.

Remember, we all have something to say. We are all poets!

• Rookie - 20 Points Aimee Woolford (5/27/2014 1:35:00 PM) Post reply

Hi guys!
    I might be young but i love to write poems.
    PLEASE FRIEND REQUEST ME
    I have many poems to share with all of you
    1. Think of rhyming words that go with your theme
    2. Start in pencil, that way you can rub out any mistakes.
    3. Just go with the flow / whatever your brain tells you
    4. FINISH!

• Rookie - 680 Points Gulsher John (5/24/2014 6:27:00 AM) Post reply

Quick Guide to Prosody

Think of the major technical components of poetry as roughly equivalent to the way music is represented on the page, turning
    something you hear into something you can see.

I. RHYME involves matching sounds of words. As melody is to music, so is RHYME to poetry. The sounds of vowels are
    what create most rhymes. Because you can hear the words that match they have sounds that are (somewhat) analagous to
    different notes (do, re, mi etc.) .
    To scan a poem for ryhme, you assign a single alphabetical letter, starting with a to the sound of the last word in the line.
    Whatever the first sound or end rhyme is, mark it " A." If the next word has the same vowel sound (tree, sea or tree, see) , mark
    the next line " A." IF the next line has a different vowel sound, mark it " B." Lines with the same end vowel sound, the same
    rhyme, get the same letter.

Example: The first four lines of Byron's " She Walks in Beauty" :

She walks in beauty like the night a
    Of cloudless climes and starry skies b
    And all that's best of dark and bright a
    Meet in her aspect and her eyes. b

In this case a and b are both exact rhymes. Any pattern of lines that alternate in this way form an example of alternate rhyme.
    When any line rhymes with the very next line, that is called a couplet. If three lines in a row rhyme, that's a triplet.

II. METER
    If rhyme is like melody, meter is the aspect of time, involving rhythm and accents of poetry. Whereas musicians represent time
    and beat with a time signature, like 4/4,3/4, or 6/8, readers of poetry record the beat of poetic words by dividing them into
    kinds of FEET based on lengths of syllables, and locations of spoken accents.

Here are the major kinds of POETIC FEET:
    A foot can match one single word, or it can span several words.

iamb any two syllables, usually a single word but not always, whose accent is on the second syllable.
    Example = upon, arise

trochee any two syllables, usually a single word but not always, word whose accent is on the first syllable.
    Example = virtue, further

anapest any three syllables, usually a single word but not always, word whose accent is on the third syllable.
    Example = intervene

dactyl any three syllables, usually a single word but not always, word whose accent is on the first syllable.
    Example = tenderly

spondee any two syllables, sometimes a single word but not always, with strong accent on the first and second syllable.
    Example (in this case no one word, but a series of words in this line:
    The long day wanes, the slow moon climbs. The words " day wanes" form a spondee.
    pyrrhic any two syllables, often across words, with each syllable unstressed/unaccented

To name the kind of foot, use the adjective form of these words.
    A line of iambs = iambic
    A line of trochees = trochaic
    A line of anapests = anapestic
    a line of dactyls = dactylic
    a line of spondees = spondaic

The number of feet in a given line is maked as a form of the word meter.
    dimeter - a 2-foot line
    trimeter a 3-foot line
    tetrameter a 4-foot line
    pentameter a 5-foot line
    hexameter a 6-foot line

III. Names of Groups of lines
    Any group of lines forming a unit is a stanza.
    Stanza of 3 lines is a tercet
    Stanza of 4 lines is a quatrain
    Stanza of 6 lines is a sestet
    Stanza of 7 lines is a septet
    Stanza of 8 lines is an octave

IV. How to Scan a poem.
    Mark the rhyme, with single alphabets (eg. abab) and the meter by counting the number of feet, and the kind of feet in the line.
    Not all lines contain only one kind of foot. For example, quite often the first foot of an iambic line is reversed, making it a
    trochee. When this happens in a poetic line it is called a " trochaic inversion." As you'll see these poetic laws are meant to be
    interpreted, and they are often bent.

Iamb = Ú / (second syllable gets the accent)
    Ú / Ú / Ú / Ú /
    My love is of a birth as rare a number of feet = 4 iambs
    Ú / Ú / Ú / Ú /
    As 'tis, for object, strange and high; b number of feet = 4 iambs
    Ú / Ú / Ú / Ú /
    It was begotten by Despair a number of feet = 4 iambs
    Ú / Ú / Ú /Ú /
    Upon Impossibility. b number of feet = 4 iambs

Remarks: the first stanza of Marvell's poem is therefore in iambic tetrameter. The basic foot is the iamb, and there are four of
    them in each line. Note how the first line shows iamb can be split across two words, and in line 4 how multiple iambs can occur within one word.

[Hata Bildir]