Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/4/2014 4:45:00 AM) Post reply

Constant attention and intutitive thinking sometimes makes ideas and helps to create a poem I think.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/3/2014 10:44:00 AM) Post reply

Writing poetry is a talent of learned ones and care and concern of the theme is essential to make a poetry attractive I think.

• Susie Marie Arviso (7/2/2014 9:21:00 AM) Post reply

I've always written poetry; starting shortly after I learned to write as a child. Writing was my release and outlet in a stormy childhood where we were not allowed to express ourselves or our opinions and thoughts in my home. Free verse was my favorite and I wasn't interested in structured poetry until a few years ago. Structured forms of poetry required more effort. Yet, as I studied and practiced how to write a good Sonnet, Tanka or Haiku, etc.... I found it to be a rewarding challenge. It's always been important to me to communicate clearly and yet, good poetry requires the skill of using words to cause the reader to " feel" the message, thought or emotion, rather than using common and bluntly clear wordings. It required me to have a window open on finding rhymes; a window open with a Thesaurus, a good dictionary window open and sometimes I had to research on the subject I was writing about, to understand it better. If I was writing about songbirds, I needed to find out which birds are songbirds. A poet needs to fully understand their subjects. I also realized that I needed to refrain from using common or worn out descriptions which requires more time. I discovered through my reader's responses to my poems that readers like to be touched, reached and delighted or impressed. Most readers seem to be pleased with a flowing and continual rhythm - as opposed to awkward and choppy rhythm. Though there are forms of poetry - that allow poems that are difficult to decode, I found that the majority of one's reading audience seems to prefer not feeling confused or left wondering what a poem is trying to say or convey. The poet should be considerate of pleasing and impressing their audience and the poet cannot take the attitude: " I know what I'm talking about and that's all that matters." No! The reader is the one who decides whether a poem is well written and whether they grasp the meaning or message. Practicing structured forms of poetry is what develops skill and the responses of your readers can show you what they like or don't like. If a poem is about something sad, negative or unpleasant... I found by reader responses that instilling hope and optimism in the body of a poem brings a pleasing balance that doesn't leave the reader saying: " That was a bummer. How depressing." To please the readers, you should analyze what you are conveying to others by looking at your poem objectively as if you were reading another person's poem. How does it make you feel?Is it awkward?Could you write something differently to optimize it?It's important not to just belt out a poem quickly, but to examine and scrutinize it. This means that you should make sure that you are not in a hurry, in a bad mood, upset or preoccupied. Sometimes, brainstorming thoughts down first, can assist you. Writing under preset titles is a good way to practice and learn, and grow. If you are writing a structured form, follow the rules. Don't accept mediocre but strive for top notch. Happy writing!

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/1/2014 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

What require for creation of a successful poem I think is observation around the world happenings and also the nature, concern on humanity, wars, confrontations, and just means of survival and such things one thinks fit for a poem.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/1/2014 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

What require for creation of a successful poem I think is observation around the world happenings and also the nature, concern on humanity, wars, confrontations, and just means of survival and such things one thinks fit for a poem.

• Mandolyn Orwhatever (6/30/2014 1:30:00 PM) Post reply

Are we allowed to post our own poems here?Or is there a specific forum for that?

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/28/2014 10:30:00 AM) Post reply

While thinking about world poems of great poets who have mortally gone from this world but knows their name through their work is so much interested. Out of this the prominent figure and poet is Kalidasa in India and his place of birth and such details are still not correctly found. He stands in the great heights of world poets through the great poems he had written. Sankunthalam, Vikramorvaseeyam, Meghasandesam, Kumarasambhavam, amd also the great poem of Raghuvamsam are the main works in my knowledge. I have the experience of reading these poems which was originally translated from Sanskrit and it was experienced the wonderful creativity of the great poet of India for ever and still having such interests to read. These great poetry could not be easily read out and forget but these are poems of great comprehension and understanding require to oneself understand the inner meaning and also enjoy the stories in detail. I think that Kalidasa's poems are such marvellous one to be read by a person who have interest in world poetry.

• X. L. Woo (6/27/2014 9:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A Poem for Fun (1)

Last night I dreamed an antelope,
    Who had with him a pink envelope,
    Which he'd mail to a lady antelope,
    Asking her with him to elope.
    But he's tripped on a steep slope,
    And lost his dear envelope.
    So it didn't reach the lady antelope.
    So the poor thing failed to elope.

Replies for this message:
  • Pijush Biswas (6/25/2014 2:56:00 PM) Post reply

Hei....ha..ha..ha
    Hu..hu..hu..hu
    What you do?
    Read my poems soon! ! ! ! ! !

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/25/2014 10:37:00 AM) Post reply

Poetry is very important to the world we live in. The poets have a historical responsibility to save the humanity, kindness, peace, justice, and such good things for making this world beautiful to live. Poetic skill is an inborn talent just like music, arts, drawing etc. but the difference is a poet have to observe the world around him and the happenings in it in perfectly independent mind and create his own opinions which must be impartial and feel it himself for a selfawakening.

[Hata Bildir]