Writing Poetry

Post a message
  • Veteran Poet - 3,908 Points Khairul Ahsan (7/2/2013 10:45:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

The messages of both Elena Sandu and Donnaj York are impressive. 'Stroll away with quiet dignity' is understandable and laudable, but we do not want to miss your literary gems. Keep writing and posting, please.

• Rookie - 431 Points Adam M. Snow (6/29/2013 7:57:00 PM) Post reply

Under the Innocent Sky
    By: Adam M. Snow

Under the innocent sky,
    ever serene and fair.
    Beauty is the stars on high,
    taking away our despair.

Ever so silent it can be,
    with still a melody that can be heard.
    Close your eyes imagine free,
    with wings stretched wide, like a morning bird.

Soaring through the dark blue sky,
    ever serene and fair;
    joining with the stars on high,
    feeling the wind between your hair.

Even though the dream's not true,
    we can still admire from afar,
    the beauty the sky, so dark and blue,
    and the many dancing stars.

• Rookie - 8 Points Sj Holland (6/28/2013 9:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Though you can always employ poetic license and other tools in rhyming poetry, consult a rhyming dictionary sometimes. Use some " true" and exact rhyming words to tighten your verse. There are many words that sound similar, or can pass for rhyming, but what about exact rhymes? If you've never consulted a rhyming dictionary, you're missing something. Once you remind yourself how to sound out your phonetics, recall a, e, i, o, u sounds, and learn how the dictionary is laid out, you're on your way to identifying the exact word that will solidify your poem. I am a free verse poet, who writes occasional rhyming verse. I love my little rhyming dictionary because it's an invaluable tool that helps me to create a well-tuned and professional poem.

Good luck to you!

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Karen Gonzalez-videla (6/14/2013 1:01:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I believe the best way to write poetry is to express what you feel. First, write it down in simple words. Then, you need to exaggerate the truth so only you are able to figure out what the truth in your poem means to YOU. After that, you should go back to it and fill the poem with descriptive adjectives that will give it life. Once you have that part, re-read it to yourself so you can fix the errors you committed. Once you did those simple steps, there comes the most important part: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW IT TO THE WORLD. Even though some people will try to make fun of it or say bad things about the poem, you need to make those negative words invisible. What counts is not the opinion of others, but the rate you yourself give to your poem :)

• Rookie Gulsher John (7/6/2013 5:21:00 AM) Post reply

Very impressive......

• Rookie Jan Sand (6/21/2013 8:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

There is no doubt that poetry is a medium for feeling but if it were that simple the stuff you would see on the inside of the door on a public booth in a men's or women's public lavatory would qualify ... more

• Rookie ..... W@king Up..... (6/14/2013 8:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

This is how I feel :) there is no perfect poem! Everyone has different feelings to share with the world, just in different perspectives, perhaps in different languages, and all poems have different m ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Jan Sand (6/12/2013 10:51:00 PM) Post reply

There is no doubt poetry is of words, their sounds, their meanings, the feelings they evoke, and the memories they drag from all other possibilities, and they can be marshaled into special lines, decorated with rhymes and metaphors, alliteration to call back and forth amongst their companions like songs arising from marching troops.but once assembled into whatever form they may assume, regular or ragged, if they do not live like Frankenstein's monster out of some mysterious electricity of the universe, they are merely words and nothing more, and certainly not poetry.

• Rookie Donnaj York (6/10/2013 7:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

FYI: Deleted all poems from PH......seeking a new creative outlet. It's been fun. Talked to some cool folks but allowed myself to get pulled into One-Two-(Three is a charm, or three-strikes-and-yur-out) arguments, agitating my soul, and defeating my purpose for being here. I think it's time to get off the PC, break out the sewing machine, and get into my long-planned handbag making project.

• Rookie Elena Sandu (6/14/2013 9:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I feel very sorry for I had no chance to read your poems yet. If arguments are the reason for you to go away, than it is the most sad thing. I have seen other poets going away because somebody was h ... more

• Rookie ..... W@king Up..... (6/14/2013 8:48:00 PM) Post reply

Good for you! Everyone needs a break sometimes :) after all, our muses get tired...: 0)

• Rookie Ethan French (6/4/2013 6:10:00 PM) Post reply

I find that poetry is a calming, yet intense, art. When you write what you're thinking of you get some amount of closure. However, if you are writing about something you are passionate about you get an intense feeling of anger, fear, happiness, etc. That is why poetry is the most unique of all arts.

• Rookie Donnaj York (6/2/2013 8:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

My writing is my therapy.

Life is painful & joyful, stressful & pleasurable, difficult & marvelous.

Conflicting experiences and feelings get tangled together in my center, (where it feels that my soul resides within me, and morns for the mess that I am) .

Sorting out the different ideas; emotions; and subjects; separating this hodgepodge of feelings into appropriate words, then giving myself permission to put them into print for others to see, to read, critique, like or dislike, feels clarifying and brave and liberating.

And if anything I write might happen to be helpful or encouraging to anyone, it can be left behind when I'm gone. I like the idea of leaving pieces of myself scattered about the earth after I've left it.

• Rookie Karen Gonzalez-videla (6/14/2013 1:06:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I really admire what you said. I love expressing my thoughts through words, and I believe it is fantastic to show the world part of you through poems. This is literally the best comment I have seen in ... more

• Rookie Greg Davidson (6/7/2013 7:00:00 PM) Post reply

I too have found writing poetry to be a great catharsis. Its a way of overcoming the frustrations that life builds for me, to vent the hurts I have and sometimes provide the joy of being creative. A ... more

• Rookie Donia Voss (6/2/2013 2:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Poetry is art of words. There are no rules with poetry, feel and allow yourself to express whatever it is you feeling.
    Some of the best poets were unmasked after heartbreak.
    story of my life.

• Rookie Itai Oscar (6/16/2013 12:47:00 PM) Post reply

This website has unveiled the poet in me. I used to use my imaginations and keep them to myself but now I express myself through poetry.

• Freshman - 1,188 Points Kanniappan Kanniappan (6/2/2013 4:36:00 AM) Post reply

Hi,
    I think the poetry should have a good idea and subject.
    It should be formed in paragraphs with equal lines.
    It should not be a long one or paragraphs with unequal lines in each.
    We can write first, we should not post immediately.
    Look for suitable words, suitable rhymes, take some time, even a few days.
    You can arrange, rearrange and finalize the poem.

I am interested in writing poems of Shakespeare style, but I think it needs lot of training.
    V.K.Kanniappan

[Hata Bildir]