Post more comments

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

William Chaplar Male, 53, United States (2/18/2013 11:48:00 AM)

The poet/philosopher G.K. Chesterton once said that “If we were real enough we should all talk in rhyme.” Chesterton believed that rhyming is one of our first pleasures, learned in the nursery where all important things are learned. This is certainly something to take into consideration whenever one is discussing poetry.
While 19th century poets like Kipling and Tennyson were the rock stars of their day, poets today are more often than not unknown entities, and poetry has essentially become a lost art. This may be due in part to the fact that the contemporary definition of poetry no longer includes words like rhythm, rhyme, and meter. Today, a poem is little more than poorly punctuated prose that is centered on the page. And sometimes it’s not even centered!
But how many of us have staples like Kipling’s “If” or Tennyson’s “Charge of the Light Brigade” permanently etched into our memories?(Or, for those who enjoy more contemporary verse, “The Road Not Taken” by Robert Frost?) If you are one of the many who has memorized one classic piece of poetry or another, you might want to ask yourself how long that poem would have stuck with you if it didn’t rhyme.
Like Chesterton, I believe the world would be a nicer place if, like a Dr. Seuss cartoon, everyone spoke in rhyme. While I’m unable to do so in my own day-to-day discourse, I have done so with all of the poetry I’ve written. Those looking for the rhythm-less, meter-less prose considered by the literary elite to be poetry probably won’t like anything I’ve written.
If, however, you number yourself among of the silent majority that considers Clement Clarke Moore’s timeless verse about Saint Nick to be real poetry, then the things I’ve posted may be right up your alley. For, while I would never be so pretentious as to compare myself to iconic bards like Kipling, Tennyson, Moore, Frost (or even Dr. Seuss!) , I have been told that I have a penchant for the rhyming art. Unlike so many other contemporary rhymers, who feel that hip hop music is the only place for a serious rhymer, I have chosen to ply my craft in a more traditional way.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• James Urwin (2/19/2013 1:25:00 AM) Post reply

I agree with your post...Rhyme is what makes a poem work for me...All the poems that dont rhyme (well, say 99%) to me are just easy...even cheating as the effort is half of a poem that rhymes... another 1 in a multi-million other collection of words...I rarely find any enjoyment from poetry that does not rhyme, and think its...simple...so simple in fact I just cannot be bothered with writting it, I find no challenge or will to improve a written idea unless it rhymes...I do try.

• Donnaj York (2/18/2013 9:02:00 PM) Post reply

Somewhat different topic, but after seeing the Movie " Les Mis" on Christmas Day, I told my daughter and granddaughters that we should spend a day, (preferably out shopping and having lunch out) , when we sang everything we wanted to say. Just for fun and to see the reactions we'd get.

[Hata Bildir]