Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Terrance Tracy Terrance Tracy Male, 67, United States (11/22/2013 11:21:00 PM)

This has been my experience:
When writing poetry the use of correct grammar can easily turn a short poem into a narrative tale.
Some of the best classical poems are full of fragmented sentences and passive sentences.
When an inspiration occurs it is okay to meditate on the inspiration but don't take too long; reason: spontaneity of thought will be lost for
the sake of clarity. I stand accused of these poetic crimes.

The question that I have is how to maintain the rhythm of the poem?
Emulation of other poets may keep the tradition of writing poetry however, I strive to develop my own style and still maintain rhythm.
I would appreciate any advice.
Terrance Tracy

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Gulsher John (11/26/2013 8:50:00 AM) Post reply Stage

In 20th-century poetry, meter and rhythm not only experience " STRAINED RELATION" but undergo a destructive divorce; and in the court settlement, RHYTHM gets the house, the car, and the condo in Aspen, while METER is left with the toaster oven and the kids.
    Free verse- a poetry of rhythm without meter- emerges and is so widely and rapidly adopted that by 1977 Stanley Kunitz observes in an interview with Antaeus: " Non-metrical verse has swept the field, so that there is no longer any real adversary from the metricians. The defining element of poetry is no longer whether it is metrical or non-metrical... [P]oetry is defined by a certain inflection of the voice rather than in terms of a particular prosodic practice."

p.s. you r welcome to join us on Forum
    page" poetry and poetic discussion"

[Hata Bildir]