Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Chris Tuscano Harris Chris Tuscano Harris Male, 32, United Kingdom (2/12/2014 4:41:00 PM)

Wouldn't it be nice if we used forums to actually talk about poetry and advice?

Wishful thinking.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Donna Chlimon (2/19/2014 6:49:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Seriously. Save the poems for your poet page, or another forum.

• Doris Cornago (2/15/2014 1:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Same here, Chris. I came over from another website hoping to find welcome from veteran poets. The most I see are bickering and backbiting. There are a few newbie who will gawk at veterans decapitating one another. I would rather sit with one true poet under the sun and go into conversational poems rather than bother with learning in an ingrown literary institution or self-proclaimed " teachers" . So, how to improve writing poetry?Be less of a " poet" , but more of a lover of nature, and what nature teaches - talk about these gifts and you are not far from being a lover of words and what words can convey to another avid kindred lover.

Replies for this message:
    • Thomas Vaughan Jones (2/25/2014 10:17:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hmm. Anyone can write " poetry" and everyone should be free to have their say. But who is to say that the poetry is a higher form of language if there are no guide lines. I have read in many ... more

• Mike Snow (2/17/2014 11:56:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I agree 100% with you there Doris. Whos cares about the confines of structure or form. For me the essence and meaning are all. If it hits a chord with only one other person then great, if not, what th ... more

[Hata Bildir]