Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Ian Blake United States (1/28/2006 10:05:00 AM)

Even granting that much of the poetry on here is, as has been said, 'trite and cliched' (which is redundant) , I think more of an effort needs to be made to give concrete and helpful advice to these poets. I feel that some people glance at some poems and instantly think, 'yecch, another 14-year old's poem about suicide with an ABAB ryhme scheme that rhymes 'cry' and 'die'... this isn't worth a second look.' I am guilty of this, myself. Well, perhaps it is bad poetry, but these people are to be admired for having such a dedication to poetry at such a young age, and they should be talked to without condescension. Point out specific rhymes that are tired or forced. Tell them which lines specifically are cliches. Tell them which images have promise and should be brought out more. If you hate it, rate it as a 1 or 2, but at least say something pertinent about it. Writers need to be TRAINED to remove cliches from their writing, because using phrases and ideas one has heard before comes naturally to any writer. With feedback that is pertinent and specific, you will actively help to improve young poets' poetry. With dismissive comments, you will drive them away from poetry. Just my two cents. Anyway, I hope to comment more on the stuff, even the bad stuff that comes through here.

However, it is very hard to do this when people post like 50 THINGS AT ONCE. Please, people, submit one thing at a time. It will make this site better, and it will make your poems better, because it will be easier for people to give timely commentary to your work.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mike Finley (3/4/2006 9:10:00 AM) Post reply

I am one of the bad people who put up 50 poems. I didn't know the nature of the service, and it wa snot posted: 'Only put up one or two per day.'

I enjoy Poemhunter, but the deeper I look into it, the worse the communal mental health appears.

• JM Howard (2/24/2006 11:47:00 PM) Post reply

Good point, but a lot of the people who sign up here aren't looking for a critical forum. As for myself, I frequent critical forums, but to be honest, I use poemhunter almost solely because it's a hell of a lot more organized than my notebook :)

To rephrase: the problem here is knowing just who is looking for advice, and who just wants their stuff to be posted.

• john tiong chunghoo (2/7/2006 8:06:00 AM) Post reply

yes, we are not here to show off but to learn from each other. so offer ideas to help others improve if you can. if not, simple.. just shut up.

• Daniel Tyler (2/2/2006 11:14:00 AM) Post reply

I totally agree Ian.

[Hata Bildir]