Learn More

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

denis joe Male, 56, United Kingdom (4/3/2006 2:19:00 AM)

I recently spent two-and-a-half months in prison in Liverpool. During that time I worked on 14 poems (sonnets) . What struck me about prison life was how much it was like the outside world: limitations on access to certain areas; the constant need to identify oneself and even the people themselves. The attitude of the cons was, generaly a selfish one and I was seen as being an oddity (at one time i was suspected of being a nonce, which proved temporally hair-raising) .

The sonnets that I wrote, I feel are not prison poems; I think that they can be seen as works concerning everyday life. To an extent I think that this is a sad reflection on society in general but it certainly increased my outlook and hence made better my work.

Inside I recieved a lot of support and encouragement. The 'us and them' situation, between staff and prisoners, was, virtually, non-existant and I was helped with contacts in the local poetry scene (even to the extent of fixing a gig for me at the Philharmonic hall)

I am leaving the Ian Syder works as they are and will not be using that name again to write works though I do hope to bring out a collection of poems that will include the Ian Syder works under my name.

Denis Joe

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Nibedita Deb (4/3/2006 8:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Just a question -
    Were all prisoners of the same feelings and opinions about imprisoned life?

Nibedita Deb.
    Kolkata.
    India.

Replies for this message:
[Hata Bildir]