Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Nibedita Deb Female, 25, India (4/5/2006 8:49:00 AM)

'A successful poem paints its own pictures, plays its own music, and move with their own flow, meeting in the sea of realization.' - Anonymous

What other attribute can you associate with a successful poem?

Nibedita Deb.
Kolkata.
India.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mary-Elizabeth Conn (4/14/2006 2:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'd probably say something that strikes an emotional chord with the reader. If it makes you cry while writing it then it will make somebody out there cry reading it. Emotion is definately important. Also, if a poem can enable somebdy to laugh then it's successful. There are definately many attributes to a great poem. Everybody views poetry differently, for example I don't rate Shakespeare but lods of people love the guy!

• D A Phinney (4/14/2006 2:11:00 AM) Post reply Stage

A really successful poem makes the reader go, 'Whoa! This must be by one of them famous poets! '
    A variation on this would be that the reader can imagine someone actually paying to read this author's works (just not himself) .

• Mike Finley (4/7/2006 6:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I don't think poems lend themselves to 'success formulas.' Otherwise, we'd all be writing really good poems, every time out.

Anonymous (whose work I cherish) neglected the part about saying something that is true.

A good poem can have defects if it speaks truth to the heart.

• Sonny Rainshine (4/5/2006 2:09:00 PM) Post reply Stage

A friend of mine says that a good poem produces a 'frisson' or shiver in a reader. For me, when I read a poem that I like, I find there is some vague feeling that makes me say to myself: yes, there is something there that is true, that is real. Usually it is both form and content that produces that effect.

[Hata Bildir]