Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

• X. L. Woo (7/14/2014 9:25:00 AM) Post reply

The Titanic

The Titanic! The gigantic steamer!
    The luxury of the world!
    Is She the pride of modern technique?
    Or the shame of all the helmsmen?
    How many lives She brought down in the icy water?
    How much wealth She sank in the depth of ocean?
    How many tears were shed for Her?
    How many books were written on Her?
    What if no iceberg floated there?
    What if She didn't sink on that fatal night?
    What if happiness didn't turn into mourning?
    What if She completed Her maiden voyage?
    Were She still sailing the blue seas,
    From the Atlantic to the Pacific?
    Or be replaced by a more modern liner?
    And turned into a floating museum on display?
    Would that Time flows back, and nothing happened!
    I would like to see what She is today!

• Noreen Carey (7/9/2014 11:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello, can anyone tell me about a poem called 'The Old Iron Kettle'?The first couple of lines are 'What, part with that old iron kettle?' she said, and her eyes grew dim, If it came to my very last farthing I wouldn't part with him'. It's a poem that my dad told me about when I was growing up. He was born in 1888 and I don't know if it was a poem that perhaps he learnt at school?

Thanks, Noreen

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (7/10/2014 10:27:00 AM) Post reply

THE OLD KETTLE " What! part with that dear old kettle?" She said, and her eyes grew dim, " If I came to my very last farthing I wouldn't part with him. You say that it's batt ... more

• Jess Gromley (7/9/2014 7:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi everyone!

I was looking through my phone gallery and found a picture of a poem. Anyone know the poet?

" Song Bird
    She lived among her garden ways,
    like a bird that loves to sing.
    Time to her was but the days
    flowers took for blossoming,
    The world was just a place for spring.

But she learned a singing bird
    Can not breathe the winter's breath,
    and beating wings will not be heard
    against the wings of death."

Please, if anyone knows the writer, let me know! It's bugging me so much. Seriously the one thing I can't stop thinking about. THANKS!

• Laura Burns (7/9/2014 8:58:00 PM) Post reply

The poet is Kathleen Millay (sister to the more well known Edna St. Vincent Millay) and the poem is found in her book The Hermit Thrush.

• Carter Kelly (7/9/2014 12:40:00 AM) Post reply

Hello,
    This is my first time to try this. I remember a poem read in high school literature, and it ended '" ...red, red, cinnabar" . Or at least it contained this line. Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks

• Bob Jenkins (7/8/2014 8:13:00 PM) Post reply

Hello! I'm looking for a poem that I believe was written by a Cavalier Poet. The subject matter was basically that, while he had to maintain a facade of happiness and revelry, deep down he was actually unhappy and sad. I'm not 100% that it was a Cavalier Poet, but I believe it was kind of an exception to their typical rule of 'king, women, drink and be happy'... if anyone can help me out.. let me know!

• Graham Smith (7/8/2014 2:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi. I am looking for a poem that I had to learn at school (many years ago now) . I think the title was called " cats" possibly by Walter Dela mare.
    One of the lines went something like. Cats sleep anywhere, on the table under chairs...
    Any help would be much appreciated.

• Laura Burns (7/8/2014 9:51:00 AM) Post reply

The poem is " Cats Sleep Anywhere" by Eleanor Farjeon: Cats sleep anywhere, any table, any chair. Top of piano, window-ledge, in the middle, on the edge. Open draw, empty shoe, anybody ... more

• Stephen Bujno (7/5/2014 2:48:00 PM) Post reply

Hello All,

I am looking for a poem I read in college about nuns who carve rosary beads from human finger bones. The concept was how the hand is what we focus on after death, for it is rarely still. Any help?

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/4/2014 4:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I like to know other poems of the great poet Dante other than Divine comedy which had already read and a copy that I have earned.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/3/2014 10:46:00 AM) Post reply

Best poems of world poets in French language by its English translation is interested to read.

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (7/1/2014 10:50:00 AM) Post reply

I likes to read the great poems of words worth in the pages of poemhunter.com.

[Hata Bildir]