Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Dan Burtnett (4/20/2008 11:36:00 AM) Post reply

Hi There!
    I was introduced to a wonderful poem while in Community College - (25 yrs ago)
    And I have had NO luck in searching my old text book and the nette.
    It goes something like this: Sell em, sell em, sell em, pat them on the back, give em what they want....etc etc etc....
    And then something about America, I think.
    HELP? Thanks, Dan

• Charlie Thomas (4/19/2008 11:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi People I'm new to the web thing anyway I've been drivg my self crazy trying to find this poem all I know is that it is used sometimes in anger management classes, this is the begining- Don't be fooled by me, Don't be fooled by the face I wear, for I wear a mask, a thousand masks, Masks that I'm afraid to take off, and none of them is me, Pretending is an art thats second nature with me, but don't be fooled for God sakes don't be fooled. If anyone could help me find the whole thing that would be just great

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (4/21/2008 7:13:00 PM) Post reply

The poem is 'Please Hear What I Am Not Saying' by Charles C. Finn. You can read it at: http: //www.poetrybycharlescfinn.com/pleasehear.html

• Rookie - 0 Points Ruth Bonnington (4/17/2008 6:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi, I'm looking for a poem by Vernon Scannell that ends something like

'All his wrongs were righted by his last, derisive sacrifice.'

I think the title might have had the word 'hero' in it but I'm not sure, and I can't find it anywhere on the internet. I did it at school and loved it but for some reason it was the only one of all the poems that I lost my copy of.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

• Laura Burns (4/17/2008 8:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The poem is 'A Kind of Hero, ' by Vernon Scannell. Still under copyright and not to be found on the Web.

• Rookie - 0 Points Grace Q (4/16/2008 5:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hi, does anyone know this classic author whose poems are mostly short lines (around more or less than 10-20 lines) and the theme is mostly about love? sorry if the description is too vague, i was able to download the poems long ago here and was able to read some of his works before i accidentally deleted it.

thanks!

• Avery Brown (6/25/2009 1:19:00 AM) Post reply

So many fit this category but could it be Rupert Brooke? He did write some very long poems but most were around the twenty line mark and a lot of love poems. For example... 'Breathless we flung us on ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Michele Vaudin (4/16/2008 1:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I learnt a poem years ago which began: 'Hithery heathery I love best the wind that blows from out the west, breathing balm and sweet of musk, rosey at morning rosey at dusk.' Unfortunatly I can't remember anymore. I think it was by Walter de la Mare. Does anyone know the rest?

• Michele Vaudin (4/21/2008 12:57:00 AM) Post reply

Thank you so much it is really appreciated.

• Laura Burns (4/16/2008 3:44:00 PM) Post reply

THE FOUR BROTHERS Hithery, hethery — I love best The wind that blows from out the West, Breathing balm, and sweet of musk, Rosy at morning, rosy at dusk. Wind from the North, Oho, and Oho! ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Jason Long (4/9/2008 5:23:00 PM) Post reply

Hello. I am searching for the poem 'knife' by Charles Simic. I have to do a presentation on his poem 'Fork' in my English Comp class. I found 'spoon' but I can not find 'knife.' If anyone knows of it or where I could get it I would be very appreciative. You can post here or e mail me at vp1760@sbcglobal.net Thanks.

• Rookie - 0 Points Chris Tow (4/5/2008 9:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi There,
    I'm looking for a short to medium length poem to set to music. I'm looking for a well written poem that describes a life changing expirience. (death, loss, morbid) and then the last stanza needs to have a sense of renewed hope. Something like, this happened and is really not good, but life will go on.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie - 0 Points William Ralston (4/3/2008 9:16:00 PM) Post reply

In 1969, I think it was, PBS had a special on Appalachian folkways or music. A man recited a poem about a father looking out at night and seeing his daughter with a boy by the front gate and fondly remembering his youth and courting a girl (now his wife?) . I don't remember any more than that. It wasn't great art as I recall but a nice folksy romantic poem.

• Rookie - 0 Points Alice Letcher (4/2/2008 6:03:00 PM) Post reply

I'm trying to find a poem in which the narrator is scything barley or wheat, and compares the experience of the wheat to what he feels when he sees the woman he loves. The last line is something like 'what I to the barely, she does to my heart and me.' Anyone know it? I think it's late 1800's-early 1900'2, but I could be way off. Thanks!

• Rookie - 0 Points Jennifer L. Augustine (3/27/2008 10:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was wondering if I could get help. Someone close to me has had only one poem published and I know the title but can't find it. It's called You're Lover, Your Friend.

• Laura Burns (8/31/2008 7:54:00 PM) Post reply

If it is 'Your Lover, Your Friend, ' by Wayland King, it is at: http: //www.poetry.com/voteforme/poemvote1.asp? PID=6691484

[Hata Bildir]