Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Lynn Kuenzi (6/25/2008 5:10:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

When my Mother was a school girl she recited a poem as if it was written by a little girl. The little girl complained because there were always so many guest that there wasn't room for her at the table. She said that when she grew up, she was going to have a table that stretched out to the garden gate. Does anyone know this poem? My Mother would have recited it in about 1912-1915. Thanks, Lynn

• Rookie - 4 Points Kyle Hamp (6/25/2008 12:31:00 PM) Post reply

i've 2 new poems.
    'Division' and 'Strange, She'.
    review...
    go. go.

• Rookie Wendy Borthwick (6/22/2008 7:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can anyone help to identify the poem by George Meredith that formed the basis / idea for the music by Ralph Vaughan Williams entitled, 'The Lark Ascending'? Many thanks for any help.

Wendy B

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie Travis Morin (6/17/2008 5:46:00 AM) Post reply

I am retiring from the US Navy after more than 20 years of service.2 Gulf Wars, Numerous natural disasters and my Wife and 3 children have not seen me in over 28 months due to deployments. I am looking for a good, short poem that I can read at my retirement that talks of the return home to family after a long journey, or return from difficulty or war. I would like one that expresses the loyalty I had for duty and the joy and happiness of completion and a new devotion to family. I am not very knowledgable about poetry so any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Rookie Iryna Karivets (6/14/2008 8:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I would be very greatful if someone could send me any poems of Philip Schulz.

• Rookie Fabian Wayman-hales (6/11/2008 7:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

'Recent cutesy clips on TV have sent running through my head the lines 'An emu I would not advise It needs a doctor for its eyes' but who the consultant - Belloc - Chesterton - Graham - someone entirely different? Can anyone help?

• Rookie Lan Yuham (6/9/2008 1:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

looking for Robert. Frost's poem.
    He recited the poetry in
    John F. Kennedy in 1961 the presidential inauguration ceremony

i come from china.my english is very bad. I will not translate the name of this poem in English.About the meaning ofAlmighty Wets(quancai) .

• Rookie Lan Yuham (6/12/2008 1:04:00 AM) Post reply

ok thanks .tank you very much

• Rookie Laura Burns (6/9/2008 7:08:00 PM) Post reply

The poem is 'The Gift Outright.' You can find it on this site at: http: //www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-gift-outright/

• Rookie O Anna Niemus (6/3/2008 9:46:00 AM) Post reply

I looked for this poem for 20 years... after forgetting in which book I read it

I WOULD NOT SAIL WITH SHEEP

When I was once in Baltimore
    A man came up to me and cried
    ‘Come, I have eighteen hundred sheep,
    And we sail on Tuesday’s tide.'

‘If you will sail with me, young man,
    I'll pay you fifty shillings down.
    These eighteen hundred sheep I take
    From Baltimore to Glasgow town.’

He paid me fifty shillings down.
    I sailed with eighteen hundred sheep;
    We soon had cleared the harbour’s mouth,
    We soon were in the salt sea deep.

The first night we were out at sea.
    Those sheep were quiet in their mind.
    The second night they cried with fear –
    They smelt no pastures in the wind.

They sniffed, poor things, for their green fields.
    They cried so loud I could not sleep:
    For fifty thousand shillings down
    I would not sail again with sheep.

-William Henry Davies- 1871 to 1940
    (Davies was born in the UK.. lived several years as a hobo
    in the US.. broke his leg hopping a train.. and returned to
    England and began writing)

• Rookie Jude Quinn (5/21/2008 2:27:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for the Allen Ginsberg poem America, it doesn't seem to be on the site.

• Rookie Lauren M. (5/20/2008 8:47:00 PM) Post reply

Hi all. I have been searching for this poem for a long time and I am hoping someone out there has heard of it or read it before. When my aunt passes away at age 35 she left behind her only son, age 10. My mother adopted him. Two years ago when we were moving I found a folder consisting of somethings my aunt had left behind. In it was a poem that I believe she was leaving for my cousin to read one day. It was the most touching poems I had ever read. I took it and put it in what I thought would be a safe spot. Now that my cousin is older I want to share it with him, but I cannot find it. I don't know the name but it has to do with a tree. The poem/passage goes on to describe in nature a tree that gives life to new trees, but in order for the new trees to grow the mother tree must die, in doing so she allows them to grow in the son and get nutrients from her roots, and eventhough she is no longer alive the new trees, her children grow because of her. It is really beautiful and I have searched all over the internet to no avail. I'm hoping someone will recognize this so my cousin can get to read the words that I believe were meant for him.

[Hata Bildir]