Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Caitanya Pownall (10/6/2007 6:12:00 AM) Post reply

does anyone know where i can find john foster's poems?

• John Davis (10/4/2007 10:49:00 PM) Post reply

I've been looking for comic poems, preferably short ones, for reading aloud in a workshop I conduct for people with MS (me too) . If anybody can direct me to some I would appreciate it.

• Colin Mcfadden (9/29/2007 2:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey all, I was watching an Olympic documentary, and they quoted an unknown poet, I don't know if it's an entire poem, but I can't quite recall the quote, it was something like:

'I walk this road only once, therefore all the good I might do must be done now? '

I can't really recall it after that very first part, if you know the entire quote, please let me know, that would be fantastic, thanks!

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (9/29/2007 4:27:00 PM) Post reply

Possibly, “If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again.” This is ascribed to various authors ... more

• Helen Sawyer (9/26/2007 11:30:00 AM) Post reply

Looking for a poem that I read in a poetry book in primary school. It has a very strong rhythm to it - which is perhaps why I remember it so well. I thought it was by John Clare but can't find it in any of his anthologies and it doesn't really seem his style. All I remember is the lines 'Its only the wind in the trees they said - its only the wind in the trees'. Such a line would occur at the start of each verse and then the real meaning would be expanded on in the rest of the verse. ie. ' they knew not that deep in the darkness, the flowers were awakening again ' (or some similar words) . The idea was the rebirth of Spring in the wildness of winter - if I remember it correctly! Hope someone's got an answer!

• John Davis (9/24/2007 10:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

COMIC POEMS I'm looking for short comic poems. I teach a little poetry workshop for people with MS (I have MS too) . I have a hard time finding shorter poems that are humorous that are good for reading out loud. The people in the class that are shy are more willing to read funny poems. If someone can guide me to a source for these or suggest some poems I would appreciate it.

Replies for this message:
  • Renee Ryder (9/24/2007 9:49:00 PM) Post reply

After searching for my Grandfather who left my Mom when she was only 1 to go off to war, we finally found him VERY much alive and well....We have all been reunited as a family and his birthday is coming up in October. I'm searching for a poem that would be good for this scenario. I want him to know that even though he's been gone for so long that I still love him even as he was never gone... And somehow try to wish him a happy for the 41 years of my life that I missed wishing him a happy birthday....

If anyone here has any ideas please let me know...

• Myrna Trauntvein (9/22/2007 11:01:00 PM) Post reply

Tact

The Sultan was vexed by a dream that invaded his slumbers;
    (He'd feasted on lobsters and cream with half-riped cucumbers
    And slept with his head to the South so the Night Mare had power.)
    He dreamed, all the teeth of his mouth tumbled out in a shower!
    So, calling a Sayer of Sooth to interpret the vision,
    He charged him to utter the truth with the utmost precision.

'Pure Fountain of Justice, and Fear of the Infidel Foemen,
    The vision, ' propounded the Seer, 'is of sorrowful omen;
    For Allah, who governs this ball (His protection be o'er you!)
    Decrees that your relatives all shall dropp dead right before you! '

The Sultan leaped up in a fit of devouring fury!
    He stayed not to issue a writ or impanel a jury,
    But-'Shorten this fellow! ' he said, 'and be rapid about it! '
    So off went the Soothsayer's head! (He looked better without it.)

One sage being worthless, they sent to the mosque for another;
    An Augur of wilier bent than his fortuned brother.
    'Now Allah be praised for the boon! ' cried this wisest of mages;
    'Great Lord of the Sun and the Moon! for the vision presages
    Long life to the King, who shall thrive like the fertile plantations!
    Yea, truly! My Liege shall survive e'en his youngest relations! '

The King, as his visage expressed, was rejoice beyond measure.
    The Prophet went home with a chest fairly bursting with treasure.
    Which proves-this an axiom still, let the blunt-spoken weigh it-
    The Tactful can say what he will, for he knows how to say it!

Who wrote the poem? I learned the poem in the sixth grade but I didn't learn who wrote it.

• Gennaro Palma (9/21/2007 8:05:00 PM) Post reply

Hi... hoping someone can help...

Years ago I read a poem about a high school teenager who cherishes the good times he's had with his sweetheart. The sentiments are sweet. Towards the end of the poem, your heart breaks as saysa he places a ring on her finger as she lies in her coffin. Does anyone know this poem? Author? Title? Some text so that I can do a proper search?
    Thank-you, Gennaro P

• Lee Wilhite (9/18/2007 8:54:00 AM) Post reply

Please help me find a poem that compares a child to an acorn. It is a fairly long poem and relates the potential of what the acorn/child may become is not revealed by the seed in its stages of growth. In its immaturity, we do not see the mighty oak tree that it will become. Thanks!

• Reuben Gourley (9/14/2007 4:25:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem for a friend that remembers it as a school boy 50- years ago. The only line he remembers is:
    Toby always listens and begging me to tell
    Exactly what i saw and where
    and how it all befell.
    Apparently it is about an owner talking to his dog and the owner telling tall tales and the dog taking it all in and understanding everthing by wagging his tail.

If anyone can point me the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

[Hata Bildir]