Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Malgorzata Mika (7/27/2007 6:37:00 AM) Post reply

Hi! I wonder if any of you know who wrote a poem entitled 'A Single Night'? On the site I found it, it was written that Rainier Maria Rilke was the author. Personally, I'm not sure about it cause I couldn't find it in any Rilke's poem collecions.I'm enclosing you the whole poem. Perhaps you could help me. I will be very grateful :)

How shall I hold my soul,
    that it may not be touching yours?
    How shall I lift it then above you
    to where other things are waiting?
    Ah, gladly would I lodge it, all forgot,
    with some lost thing the dark is isolating
    on some remote and silent spot that,
    when your depths vibrate,
    is not itself vibrating.
    You and me - all that lights upon us, though, brings us together like a fiddle bow
    drawing one voice from two strings as it glides along.

Across what instrument have we been spanned?
    And what violinist holds us in his hand?
    O sweetest song....

• Gina Porrett (7/15/2007 11:00:00 PM) Post reply

I would like to know the words to 'slow dancing with billy' and who wrote it- does anybody know? ?
    Thanks!
    Gina

• Karen Mcmillan (7/13/2007 10:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi

I am looking for a poem to send to the mother of my husbands best friend, Paul, who tragically killed himself on 07/07/07. He was only 34 years old and the only son of frank and ann, who are absolutely devastated. I want something that is comforting but not religious. i have been scouring the web but nothing seems appropriate, maybe I am looking for a needle in a haystack. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Karen

Replies for this message:
    • Anna Russell (7/15/2007 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

First of all, my deepest sympathies to you and all of Paul's loved ones. I don't know if you will find this useful, but it's by Mary Frye - DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP Do not stand at ... more

• Vincent Daniel (7/11/2007 2:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can anyone help to identify the author of the poem that starts with the following lines: 'Is'nt it strange that princes and kings/ And clowns that caper in sawdust rings'
    Thanks very much
    Vincent

• Tracey Bowen (7/11/2007 3:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Vincent, just did a quick search and it appears to be called 'A Bag of Tools' - author unknown. I found it on this site: http: //www.stcolumba1295.co.uk/stories.htm

• Tracey Bowen (7/9/2007 12:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi. My Nan recently passed away and my Mom is looking for a poem she remembers from years ago about death. She remembers neither the title nor the author nor any of the actual lines - only the gist of it. It goes something like 'I have not left you - only gone to a different room. When you go into the room, I will have moved to a different one. You cannot see me but I am still here'.

Sorry, I know it's not much to go on but if anyone thinks they know what this poem is, it would mean a great deal to my Mom

• Penny Wade (9/2/2007 4:17:00 PM) Post reply

I believe it is called 'Death Is Nothing at all.' I shall know more tomorrow, It was read at my dear father-in-laws funeral.Hope this may help, It sounds like the same one.

• Jessie Metz (7/6/2007 11:38:00 PM) Post reply

This may be too little information for anyone to help, but I am quite desperate. I am looking for a poem that I am almost positive was written by an American beat poet. I heard it read at a funeral several years ago and loved it, wrote it down but have long since lost that paper. I only remember that it mentioned a flame or a fire, and that 'emerald' was almost definitely the last word. It was quite short, four or five lines. Can anyone help?

• Dan Yaron (7/3/2007 4:07:00 PM) Post reply

Hello! I am looking for a poem that was translated by John Dryden. The poem is apparently by Salvaggi, an italian poet who wrote in Intalian or in Latin. In this poem he praises John Milton and says that Milton is better than both of them together. I found a Hebrew translation of the poem from the English translation by Dryden. The title in hebrew is 'God's three men', but the title can be a paraphrase of the original title of the first translation because I know that the translator belongs to the time in Hebrew literature that translators had much 'artistic freedom', and their translatons weren't completely accurate compared to the original work. If someone knows Hebrew, I can post the Hebrew version, if that will help to find Dryden's translation.

Thanks in advance!

• Dion Barker (7/2/2007 1:06:00 PM) Post reply

im looking for the rest of this poem i read once when i was very young but over the years i can only remember bits of it thats what having kids do to you
    it was on the front cover of a book by daniela steel i cant remember the books name. it starts
    pass hand to hand the wishes the dreams, the hopes of an entire nation sent to war, a score of old men leading all our boys to die. while we watch in horror, in pain................i think this was poem was bril it made me cry the first time i read it when i was about 7 years old

• Norman Donoghue (6/25/2007 3:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

When my grandmother was 95 and again on her hundreth birthday (she passed away at 101 in 1993) , she was able to recite this poem. Can you tell me the source of the various references?

“Untitled” by Anonymous

There was a little boy, and
    His name was Robert Reese,
    And every Friday afternoon he had
    To speak a piece.

So many poems thus he learned,
    That soon he had a score,
    Of recitations in his head,
    and still kept learning more

Now this is what happened.
    He was called upon one week
    And totally forgot the piece
    he was about to speak.

His brain he cudgled, not a word remained
    within his head, and so
    He spoke at random,
    and this is what he said:

“My beaufitul, my beautiful, ”
    why standed proudly by.
    “It was the Schooner Hesperus
    The breaking waves dashed high.”

“Why is the forum crowded? ”
    “What means this stir in Rome? ”
    “Under the spreading chestnut tree”
    “There is no place like home.”

When freedom from his mountain height”
    cried “Twinkle, twinkle little star”
    “Shoot if you must this old gray head, ”
    “King Henry of Navarre.”

“Roll on, thou dark and deep blue
    castled crags of Drachenfels.”
    Many name is Norman. “On the Grampian Hills,
    Ring out wild bells.”

“If you’re waking, call me early.”
    “To be or not to be, ”
    “The bell must not ring tonight.”
    “Oh, Woodsman, spare that tree.”

“Charge, Chester, charge on lovely war, ”
    And let who would be clever,
    “The boy stood on the burning deck, ”
    But I go on forever.

His elocution was superb,
    his voice and gestures fine;
    His schoolmates all applauded
    As he finished the last line.

“I see, it doesn’t matter, ” said he,
    Just what I say,
    As long as I declaim
    With oratorical display.”

Please feel free to correct where I have got parts of it wrong. I want to have it right.
    Many thanks.
    Ned Donoghue
    Philadelphia, PA

• Freshman - 2nd Stage Laura Burns (9/22/2007 12:45:00 PM) Post reply

The poem is 'The Overworked Elocutionist' by Carolyn Wells. 'It was the schooner Hesperus' is from the 1890 poem 'The Wreck of the Hesperus' by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. 'The breaking waves dashed ... more

• Mike Perkins (6/20/2007 1:45:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hey folks,
    I thought it would be easy to find the words of the traditional 'Twentyone today, twentyone today...' song, but It's not! At 75 it's a long time since it was sung for me! Can anyone help
    Mike. Northland NZ.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (6/20/2007 9:08:00 AM) Post reply

Mike, Have found another possible. Twenty-one today, Twenty-one today, I've got the key of the door, Never been twenty-one before, Father said I can do what I like, So shout hip, hip, hooray, For ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Ernestine Northover (6/20/2007 8:12:00 AM) Post reply

As far as I can remember it, it goes something like this. Twenty-one today. Twenty-one today. He's/She's got the key of the door, Never been twenty-one before. La la, la la, la, la, la, So we all wan ... more

[Hata Bildir]