Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Kathy Ballard (8/5/2007 5:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

This line comes from a poem, song, or play. My mom used to say it to me every Christmas Eve. I would love to find the entire work! Here goes: It's Christmas Eve Miltilda Sue so you must sit right here. Tomorrow you will be all new, you will my dolly dear. I have written a note to Santa....
    I don't remember any more, but please let me know if anyone has heard of these lines before. Thanks

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Tammy Sparks (3/23/2012 11:41:00 PM) Post reply

Hello, I hope you get hie reply, as it has been over 4 years since you posted this. My grandmother, too used to say this poem and even at 98 years old she still had most of it memorized. We shou ... more

• Rookie Gill Baxter (8/4/2007 10:57:00 AM) Post reply

Hi I am looking for a reading or poem for a wedding, the subject is creativity. I am a friend of the bride and will be reading this as part of the non religious service. I would be grateful for any ideas, not sure how long the reading should be but don't want it to be more than 2-3 minutes.

• Rookie Chris Lee (8/3/2007 3:06:00 PM) Post reply

I am trying to locate a poem I heard when I was younger. I believe it was Ralph Waldo emerson or Henry david thoreau. It spoke about an adults influence on a child is the best gift you can give the world, or something to the effect of 'in the eyes of a child' I know that is very vague, but I would appreciate any help with the title, or any info. Thanks.

• Rookie Samuel Nwambo (8/2/2007 3:23:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hi iam 21 yrs old i have been through majar challenge in my quest to be a man iwas wondering if i can get a poem that will show me what it takes to be a great man.thanks samuel

• Rookie Avery Brown (6/25/2009 6:05:00 PM) Post reply

Try 'IF' by Rudyard Kipling. It begins.... If you can keep your head while all about you Are losing their's and blaming it on you.... ' It's a classic and old but still wise. And it ends, 'And, w ... more

• Rookie Doreen Taylor (7/30/2007 5:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i seem to have deleted a message by mistake so i'll repeat it
    i am looking for the words to a poem by roger mcgough called bearhugs......i have looked high and low for them with no luck

i would be grateful if somebody could post them here for me
    thanks!

• Rookie Laura Burns (8/24/2008 7:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

BEARHUGS Whenever my sons call round we hug each other. Bearhugs. Both bigger than me and stronger They lift me off my feet, crushing the life out of me. They smell of oil paint and aftershave ... more

• Rookie Andrew Davidson (7/28/2007 8:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I am trying to trace information about William Catcott 1808-1871 who wroyte a book of poetry called 'Morning Musings'. He was known as the Baker Poet of Wells in Somerset. Cannot frind any treace of him on the web or in libraries. He was an ancestor of my wife and we have a copy of his poetry book inscibed to her grandmother.

• Rookie Lisa Frecknall (6/30/2013 4:37:00 AM) Post reply

Hello. I grew up in the house which William Catcott also lived in. My mother is trying to find out more about him and his book he wrote. She is trying to search for the book as only have some photoc ... more

• Rookie Lisa Frecknall (6/30/2013 4:37:00 AM) Post reply

Hello. I grew up in the house which William Catcott also lived in. My mother is trying to find out more about him and his book he wrote. She is trying to search for the book as only have some photoc ... more

• Rookie John Neland (1/16/2008 5:29:00 PM) Post reply

Andrew, I also have a copy of 'Morning Musings' by William Catcott, second series, dated 1870. Some years ago I searched for his gravestone in the village church of Binegar in Somerset, but could not ... more

• Rookie Malgorzata Mika (7/27/2007 6:37:00 AM) Post reply

Hi! I wonder if any of you know who wrote a poem entitled 'A Single Night'? On the site I found it, it was written that Rainier Maria Rilke was the author. Personally, I'm not sure about it cause I couldn't find it in any Rilke's poem collecions.I'm enclosing you the whole poem. Perhaps you could help me. I will be very grateful :)

How shall I hold my soul,
    that it may not be touching yours?
    How shall I lift it then above you
    to where other things are waiting?
    Ah, gladly would I lodge it, all forgot,
    with some lost thing the dark is isolating
    on some remote and silent spot that,
    when your depths vibrate,
    is not itself vibrating.
    You and me - all that lights upon us, though, brings us together like a fiddle bow
    drawing one voice from two strings as it glides along.

Across what instrument have we been spanned?
    And what violinist holds us in his hand?
    O sweetest song....

• Rookie Gina Porrett (7/15/2007 11:00:00 PM) Post reply

I would like to know the words to 'slow dancing with billy' and who wrote it- does anybody know? ?
    Thanks!
    Gina

• Rookie Karen Mcmillan (7/13/2007 10:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi

I am looking for a poem to send to the mother of my husbands best friend, Paul, who tragically killed himself on 07/07/07. He was only 34 years old and the only son of frank and ann, who are absolutely devastated. I want something that is comforting but not religious. i have been scouring the web but nothing seems appropriate, maybe I am looking for a needle in a haystack. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Karen

• Rookie Anna Russell (7/15/2007 4:54:00 PM) Post reply

First of all, my deepest sympathies to you and all of Paul's loved ones. I don't know if you will find this useful, but it's by Mary Frye - DO NOT STAND AT MY GRAVE AND WEEP Do not stand at ... more

• Rookie Vincent Daniel (7/11/2007 2:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can anyone help to identify the author of the poem that starts with the following lines: 'Is'nt it strange that princes and kings/ And clowns that caper in sawdust rings'
    Thanks very much
    Vincent

• Rookie Tracey Bowen (7/11/2007 3:06:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Vincent, just did a quick search and it appears to be called 'A Bag of Tools' - author unknown. I found it on this site: http: //www.stcolumba1295.co.uk/stories.htm

[Hata Bildir]