Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Bess Chester (3/7/2007 8:45:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i'm trying to find a poem my teacher read to my english class a few years ago (unfortunately, i've long since lost contact with the teacher) .

the only line i can remember is 'if the band were playing louder, and a little more in tune'...and i believe there may have been something about soup. food of some kind, anyhow. i'm fairly certain it was set in a restaurant. and involved love. i think 'tune' was a rhyme for 'spoon', but i don't remember what the line was that ended in 'spoon'.

i've tried googling the one line i remember...but to no avail. if anybody has any idea what it could possibly be, i'd be really happy.

• Eddie Northcraft (3/1/2007 3:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

im looking for a poem, i am in iraq right now and there isnt a poem written already at least i dont think but i need a poem for my girl! ! ! if u are interested in helping me write one i will tell u my story and then maybe u can help a soldier out! ! ! thanks much just email me at eman2004_13@yahoo.com or post a comment on here! ! ! Thanks

Replies for this message:
    • Bess Chester (3/7/2007 8:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

i love finding poems that suit stories. email me and i'll try my best to help you out, there. :) (my email address is emilythesecond@gmail.com)

• Mariah Miller (2/26/2007 6:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

im looking for poems about the Holocaust. its for my english class message me if u have anysites!
    thanks!

• Bess Chester (3/7/2007 8:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

have you read 'the murder of lidice', by edna st. vincent millay? it's based on the overnight desctruction of a czechoslovakian village by the nazis. it's very long, and very good.

• Caroline Roberton (2/26/2007 1:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am looking for a poem that I heard in a film. Sorry to be so unspecific!

It was by a father writing about his daughter Kate and how she would grow up and not be the same little Kate that he knew now.

Any help greatly appreciated

• Bess Chester (3/7/2007 8:52:00 PM) Post reply Stage

could you give some more details about the film? title? characters? actors? setting?

• Jack Wilson (2/24/2007 11:02:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem about a fallen soldier.

It reads something like, 'Rest your eyes you held the line' or something like that.

I remember reading it while I was in Iraq and it brought tears to my eyes. It was a very well written piece of work!

Any help would be appreciated!

• Bailey Wilson (2/23/2007 3:19:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I looking for a poem that I heard quoted in a movie once.
    I believe it was a classic movie, maybe even black and white, I'm thinking Carey Grant or someone like that. Or that could be completely erroneous and it was just a feel the producers were going for. The poem was quoted by a woman and it was something about the attributes she was looking for in a man. Not too this, not too that etc.
    The man in the movie was evesdropping and overheard her and later quoted it back to her and she was impressed, she thought he was well-read and well-educated to know the quote.
    Now I'm desperately trying to figure out what the poem is.
    If this is familiar to anyone please email me at baileygirl42@yahoo.ca
    Thanks! !

• Marti Baillie (2/20/2007 11:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am going nuts trying to figure out who wrote this poem i've had for over twenty years. I would have sworn it was Sylvia plath or Ann sexton, but i can't locate it any of their works. I also searched every way i could think of, and it doesn't come up. It's called 'The Hunger Artist'. It's basically about a woman scared about her aging process.

If anyone knows anything about this poem, please inform me, i've become an obsessed maniac on the computer searching it. I have a copy of the poem, but no author.

thanks

• Mark English (2/21/2007 12:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Apparently there's a poem with that title in the collection 'The Floor Keeps Turning', by Shirley Kaufman, but I don't have a copy of it ready to hand, so I don't know if it's the one you're looking f ... more

• Anna Johnson (2/15/2007 8:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hello,

Has anyone heard of a poet named Tias? I think he might be German and would have lived in the 20th century. I am not sure if Tias is his name, it might be the name of his book or something like that. Thank you so much!

• Elle Devere (2/11/2007 7:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

I was wondering if anyone knew of any wonderful poems about the passion behind writing, or the passion of creativity, or some other strong emotion behind creativity and art. I need a poem that was written long enough ago that it would be in public domain now, and one that is more than 10 lines, but wouldn't be more than 2 or so minutes if read aloud. So does anyone have any favorite poems that fit? Thanks!

• Rose Mareea (2/24/2007 8:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

One of my favourites is Herbert's 'I Would Like to Describe'. It revolves around one's passion behind trying to express/create, mostly in relation to clichés. I WOULD LIKE TO DESCRIBE I would ... more

• Karl Stuart Kline (Human Rights) (2/20/2007 6:36:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hello, Elle! Robert Herrick (1591-1674) wrote 'To Primroses Fill'd with Morning-dew' It doesn't necessarily start out like you might be looking for, but the size is right and the last few lines ... more

• Goldy Locks (2/13/2007 9:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

H.D., 'Red Rose and a Beggar' (1960) Venice-—Venus? this must be my stance, my station: though you brushed aside my verse, I can't get away from it, I've tried ... more

• Paula Booker (2/10/2007 4:13:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I am trying to track down a poem my son now 23 used to love as a child, I believe it was in a book call the golden stairways, a series of childrens books once owned by my father, printed in the 50's I think, all I can remember of the poem is the first part of the poem........... The Rogey Pogey bogey man is rolling throught my housey pouse, the rogey pogey bogey man is rolling through my housey pouse. I would love my young children to learn this poem but can not find it any where, I don't know who wrote it and hope someone can help

[Hata Bildir]