Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Jessica Drillingcourt (8/26/2006 6:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

im looking for a poem called THE MESSAGE. Its a love poem. Please could you find it for me

• yactoo acton (8/20/2006 8:21:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Ive been reading poems by oliver goldsmith and know that he is a distant ancestor of mine but cannot trace any details about his family any one help to bring me up to present day

• Laura Johnston (8/19/2006 2:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm trying to track down a collection of poems my elderly grandmother loved as a teenager, it was entitled 'leaves from entre nous' by Marquis de leauville, one of the poems was called Twilight (anactoria?) - I may not have the details exactly right - I would be so grateful for any information that might help me.

Replies for this message:
    • Mark English (9/2/2006 11:57:00 AM) Post reply Stage

'Entre-Nous', first published in 1877, was written by the Marquis de Leuville. 'A Few Leaves from Entre-Nous', which I take it was a selection from the first book, was only ever privately printed, so ... more

• Faith Shorney (8/14/2006 9:11:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

o, and my email is faithshorney@hotmail.com
    thanks again
    x faith

• Faith Shorney (8/14/2006 9:10:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

hey all
    have a few lines from a poem...dont have the rest.
    it goes: there's a green eyed yellow idol, to the north of katmandu, and a little marble cross beneath the town, where a broken harted woman tends the grave of mad karu, and a little god forever gazes down.
    really would love the rest of it. my grandmother once told it to me but that is all i remember of it...it was a long time ago. all help much appreciated.

• Laura Burns (10/2/2006 5:05:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Try 'The Green Eye of the Yellow God' by J. Milton Hayes.

• Graham Michell (8/13/2006 7:15:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hi All,
    I travel to Asia on business frequently and a few years ago in Borneo I had a remarkable conversation with a Chinese Malaysian guy regarding the differing ways in which westerners approach life and business as opposed to the 'Asian Way' as he called it.

He referred to a apparently quite famous poem which is titled something along the lines of 'the white and the Yellow man'. The subject matter goes along the lines of the white man hustling and bustling through life always in a rush while the yellow man takes it easy and never gets flustered.
    The end of the poem sees the yellow man standing over the white man's grave and saying something like 'here lies a foolish man'.

Can anyone tell me the name of this poem and it's Author

Please email me at graham@xcelconsulting.com

Cheers

Graham Michell

• Kirsty Wagstaffe (8/11/2006 1:45:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi, I'm trying to find a poem or quote with the line it in something like; ...die and realise i had never really lived. It's something like that I think
    All help much appreciated
    Thanks

• Shruthi Rao (8/11/2006 2:10:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hi.. I had read a poem very long back, about Trust. I don't remember the name of the poem, nor the poet, nor any line or unique word/phrase in the poem. But I remember the meaning.. The poet says that there is nothing great in trusting a person you know. What is amazing, is that we go through life trusting people totally unknown to us. For example, we trust the cook at a restaurant not to poison us, we put our lives willingly into the hands of an unseen pilot on an aircraft, we trust an unknown doctor to cure us, etc. The latter kind of trust is greater than the former.

Can anybody tell me the name of this poem or the name of the poet? I would be really grateful. :)

Thanks in advance!

• Bob Mosley (8/9/2006 7:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hello,

There is a poem or song I am trying to remember the words to. It has these words I think,

From May til December,
    The days grow shorter.

Or something similar to this.

Any help appreciated,

Bob Mosley
    BMosley288@aol.com

• Ernestine Northover (8/11/2006 10:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Hi Bob, It is a song called 'September Song', sung by Frank Sinatra, written by Anderson/Weill. Look on Lyrics on this site and put 'September Song' in the box and click on the circle for Song Tit ... more

• Carl Towers (8/9/2006 5:37:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I picked up a book a couple of years back in a library and read a poem which I found really moving but I can't remember who it was by or any phrases from it. All I can remember was that the image of smoke on a battle field gradually dispersing to reveal a situation far more favourable than was feared was used to
    encourage perseverance (or something along those lines) . It may not be much to go on but could anybody help?

[Hata Bildir]