Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie John Mc Loughlin (11/22/2006 7:17:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hi I am trying to find the following poetry By The Irish Poet John Montague.They are The Locket, The Cage. There is some poetry on the site for John Montague, not the ones I am looking for.I would appreciate if anyone can give a website link to find the above Thanks

• Rookie Nina Attridge (11/19/2006 2:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi this is the first time so hope you can help. Im looking for the poem Leisure by W H Davies

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Evangeline Auld (11/9/2006 7:04:00 PM) Post reply

Can anyone recommend a book of poetry all about animals please? Thanks.

• Rookie Olga Zui (11/9/2006 12:02:00 PM) Post reply

Dear poets,
    My name is Olga. I was so happy to discover this site, as I have been looking for talented poets for a few months! I was impressed by beautiful, talented works here. It’s made me to ask for your help.
    I am a musician and I have a few songs that I need to write some lyrics. Unfortunately English is not my native language, and I am not a poet, so I can’t do it myself.
    Great request!
    If you specialized in writing lyrics for songs and English is your native language, please contact me: volha_zui@yahoo.com, Tell: +971503507017. I live in Dubai, but I will be happy to hear from anyone from any part of the world

• Rookie Ben Jacobson (11/8/2006 3:01:00 AM) Post reply

Hi.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of some Ernst Josephson Poems, either online or a book. If anyone has any information on where I might be able to find his poems please email me.

Thanks

Ben.

• Rookie Nikki X (11/2/2006 2:47:00 PM) Post reply

Hi.
    Ive been desperatley looking for a poem that my mum told me her mum used to read to her as a child. As her mum passed away recently i thought it would be nice to find the poem for her but i just cant find it anywhere. All i know is that the poem is about a little boy who dreamed that he was posted in the mail! if anyone has any ideas i would be really grateful. Thanks.

• Rookie Jackie Currotte (10/30/2006 8:01:00 AM) Post reply

I've been carrying around the words to this poem since high school, and would really love to know what it refers to, and who the author is. Can anyone help?

'I go to seek that ancient isle, where fame and fortune dwell. I leave a love, a laugh, a smile, and so my dear, farewell.'

• Rookie David Hough (10/29/2006 12:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Can anyone tell me what these (approximate?) lines are from, as remembered by my friend Jane from school,45 years ago. As I can't find it in any searches I wonder whether she may have dreamt it or even written it herself, as it doesn't sound very good to me:

Along the windswept platform, pinched and white,
    The travellers stand in pools of wintry light,
    Offering themselves to dawn's long slanting shadows/arrows.
    The train's due, porter's trundle heavy barrows
    The train steams in billowing forth resplendent clouds of...vapour
    Hither and about......

Very many thanks,

David

• Rookie Mark English (10/30/2006 1:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

45 years! I'm constantly amazed how good people's memories are here. The poem is Siegfried Sassoon's 'Morning Express': Along the wind-swept platform, pinched and white, The travellers stand ... more

• Rookie Jo Carey (10/29/2006 7:47:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I AM SEARCHING FOR A POEM THAT HAS THE WORDS I MUST GO DOWN TO THE SEA AGAIN WHERE TALL SHIPS COME IN ITS PROBABABLY A SIMPLE POEM BUT I CANNOT REMEMBER IT OR WHO WROTE IT.

• Rookie Richard Pitts (11/28/2007 4:29:00 PM) Post reply

I must go down to the sea again, to the lonely sea and the sky, I left my towel on the beach one day, I wonder if its dry?

• Rookie Ernestine Northover (10/31/2006 10:03:00 AM) Post reply

Hi Jo, the poem you were enquiring after is entitled, 'Sea-Fever; by John Masefield - 1878-1967 - I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship an ... more

• Rookie Katie York (10/28/2006 8:04:00 AM) Post reply

Hi, Can any one help me?
    I found a poem among some of my great grandad’s stuff but some parts are missing
    The bits I can make out are:

And friends, and the other chaps, hailing;
    It is'nt exactly a 'pleasure trip'
    Carrying on in cold and storm
    But at least the work in this old ship
    Is enough to keep a fellow warm
    Now i'm sending this line that soon you'll get
    with the hope that this sailor you'll not forget
    who, though on the ocean, is all serene
    From Herbert Edward Cooper (My Great Grandad)

It’s printed on some sort of cloth and at the top it says 'The Great War' and under that it says 'Remembrance'. My great Grandad sent it home while he was working in the British Navy on a ship called the HMS Grasshopper, so I think the timescale would have been around the first and second world wars.

Its just chunks of the beginning of the poem that are ripped and missing, so if anybody knows this poem or who the author was I’d be grateful

[Hata Bildir]