Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Ashley Fontenot (1/26/2014 2:00:00 PM) Post reply

I’m looking for a poem I read in a poetry class. I’m pretty sure it was about the passing of the authors female friend, to whom she wrote a lot poems but it may have been about the passing of her child, about which she also wrote.

The poem ends, or has a line very near the end about what’s written on the graves headstone, which is or is similar to “here lies Orindas(?) heart”. I want to say its by Katherine Phillips but I’ve read the poems by her that I could find online and haven't found the one with this line.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?The search for this poem is driving me crazy.

• Dan Harris (1/24/2014 12:00:00 PM) Post reply

Hello

My Mother could recite the following poem from beginning to end but unfortunately she now has alzheimer's and we have forgotten most of it. We have tried to fill in the gaps without any luck. If anybody knows the full poem I would very much appreciate it if you could fill in the missing part.

Two spiders on a window cill set off one day to roam
    They hope to find a cumfy place to call their very own
    The window they were sitting on was open just a chink
    said one my dear lets go in here the very thought i think
    They climbed up to the ceiling high to find a cosy place
    They hoped to build a cumfy house of spiders web and lace
    ?
    And thats where they are living now in cosy little rooms
    miles and miles and miles away from fluffy feather broom

Thanks in advance
    Dan

• Lisa Lindblom (1/23/2014 10:56:00 AM) Post reply

Hi- I am looking for a poem I read long ago, which I'd like to share with my students. It's about a very poor mother and father who have 7 or 8 children who they are having a hard time supporting. They receive an offer from a wealthy relative to adopt one of the children in return for money. They consider the offer, and one night, when the children are sleeping, they go from child to child trying to decide which one they should give up. They realize they are unable to give any of them up, even the baby who has not been named yet, and they write to the relative, telling them thanks, but they have decided to keep all of their children. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

• Deborah Netzer (1/21/2014 10:24:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

In 1973-74 I was required to recite a poem for Speech class. The local library had numerous poetry books and I found one that I thought would make a statement. I can't remember the title or the author. However I do remember the last stanza -more or less. It is as follows- -" -What shall we do, we in whose name the bowl of the sky was filled with death. Death the color of goldfish. Death that blossomed into a mighty flower of evil. For guilt of the melted eyeballs of Hiroshima. " If anyone can help me find this poem I would be extremely grateful. Thank you

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (1/22/2014 2:55:00 PM) Post reply

That is a poem by Eileen Egan, but I am not sure of the name.

• Randy Wheaton (1/21/2014 3:43:00 PM) Post reply

Hi,
    I'm trying to find a poem I read once with the words " the gloaming" in the first few lines and which ends with the (approximate) last line " ...against the gods until I die" . I believe it may have been one of the English romantic poets.

• Sabrina Darza (1/19/2014 11:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi! I'm looking for a poem I heard a while back. I wrote it down on a piece of paper and just recently remembered I liked it very much
    It went:

Better known was his passion for the theatre
    And the tragic thing that could happen was for one,
    To think his honor a fool

• Patricia Ellison (1/18/2014 4:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am searching for a poem I read in Jr. High School. It had to do with a statue and a bird who refused to abandon the statue when winter came and the rest of the flock flew south. Appreciate any help in locating this poem.

• Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (1/19/2014 2:37:00 PM) Post reply

This sounds to me like Oscar Wilde's short story " The Happy Prince" rather than a poem.

• Sa-leanne Knight (1/17/2014 4:46:00 PM) Post reply

Hello I am trying to find a poem that I heard many many years ago, It didn't mean anything to me then but now I am a wife and a mother this poem is playing on my mind all the time and I must find it. Basically the husband leaves for work in the morning, he asks his wife to pay a bill or post a letter I cannot remember, as she reaches for the letter she notices the plant needs watering, then as she is filling up the watering can she may as well wash the dishes, it goes on like this and then husband comes home and she hasn't posted the letter, the one thing he asked her to do. I was wondering if anybody knows of this poem please?x

• Rahman Henry Rookie - 1st Stage (1/17/2014 4:42:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am working to publish a book of translation in my own language (Bengali) , that is going to be a bilingual book (English & Bengali) with only the poems by NOBEL LAUREATES. Please, friends, help me with their poems in English translation.

rahmanhenry@aol.com

• Laura Burns Rookie - 1st Stage (1/18/2014 1:02:00 PM) Post reply

You can find translated poems by some of these authors at Project Gutenberg. Of course, several did write in English to begin with. Best wishes for your project.

• Deb Flaugh Rookie - 1st Stage (1/5/2014 3:33:00 PM) Post reply

Hello - I am looking for humorous poems that can be used in speech competitions. They need to be of the same topic and at least 2-3 minutes long when reading them. For example: the topic could be food/dieting, Wizard of Oz, Fairy Tales, first kiss, dating, or any other topic appropriate for a high school student to recite. Thanks!

[Hata Bildir]