Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie - 6 Points Marie Wray (10/9/2014 1:15:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem we use to say at school when I was about 12 years old, I can remember some of it there is a couple of last lines I cannot remember it goes like this. Butterflies, Butterflies flying high, flying low spread your wings and fly away, come back another day, wings of gold, wings of blue, straight from heaven swift you blew. Then the last two lines I have forgotten, if anyone can tell me please I would be most grateful, marie

• Rookie - 0 Points Lynne Davy (10/8/2014 6:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for two poems.

In the first, the poet is remarking on how to a fly (I think that is the creature, but may be wrong) , his own awareness of the world is a vast to him as ours is to us.

In the second, the poet is considering how gently the mother bat cares for her young, how soft her fur, how beautiful she is...it's been decades.

If anyone can lead me to either of these poems, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Lynne

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (10/8/2014 8:53:00 PM) Post reply

Here is one: The Bat Poet By Randall Jarrell A bat is born Naked and blind and pale His mother makes a pocket of her tail And catches him. He clings to her long fur By his thumbs and toes ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points S D (10/6/2014 2:21:00 PM) Post reply

Hi! I read a poem a while ago and I can't for the life of me remember what it is called or who wrote it. It's about a man who is in a field (I think of wheat) with his scythe, and he is surrounded by neighbors who tend sheep. It is mentioned in the poem that he sometimes catches the reflection of his face in his scythe, like the reflection of the light of the sun in the moon. That's all I remember. Any help is appreciated. I would really like to find this poem!

• Rookie - 0 Points Minjeong Son (10/6/2014 3:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

What is the theme of this poem?
    This is part of a poem. Anybody knows?

But yesterday I should have thought me blest
    To stand high-pinnacled upon the peak
    Of middle life and look adown the bleak
    And unfamiliar foreslope to the West,
    Where solemn shadows all the land invest
    And stilly voices, half-remembered, speak
    Unfinished prophecy, and witch-fires freak
    The haunted twilight of the Dark of Rest.
    Yea, yesterday my soul was all aflame
    To stay the shadow on the dial's face
    At manhood's noonmark! Now, in God His name
    I chide aloud the little interspace
    Disparting me from Certitude, and fain
    Would know the dream and vision ne'er again.

• Laura Burns (10/6/2014 5:02:00 PM) Post reply

All I know is that Ambrose Bierce uses it in his Devil's Dictionary to illustrate his definition of yesterday: " The infancy of youth, the youth of manhood, the entire past of age." He gives ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Chauhan Kinjal (10/5/2014 4:58:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I want poem " Goodbye Party for Miss Pushpa T.S." of Nissim Ezekiel

• Pranab K Chakraborty (10/6/2014 12:21:00 AM) Post reply

Good post. Ezekiel is the English writing Indian poet, learnt from history of English literature. But here Chauhan Kinjal and Laura Burns offered an opportunity to read a complete poem. Thanks both t ... more

• Laura Burns (10/5/2014 9:29:00 PM) Post reply

Friends, our dear sister is departing for foreign in two three days, and we are meeting today to wish her bon voyage. You are all knowing, friends, what sweetness is in Miss Pushpa. I do ... more

• Rookie - 0 Points Ebe Morales (10/4/2014 6:34:00 PM) Post reply

ok i have trouble finding a poem that we read in american lit last year. the poem was where the teacher asks the class to describe a peaceful place/a place where they feel happy or something and then the students raise their hands and give different answers and then one student raises his hand and answers that he likes his car because its where he likes to listen to music (then he mentions his dashboard and a bunch of other stuff) . The poem mostly focuses on his answer. then as the poem continues, the students continue to give different answers but the car kept coming up. i can't remember exactly how it went, does it sound familiar to anyone?

• Rookie - 5 Points Richard Egler (10/1/2014 1:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi, does anyone have information on this poem? I can't find ANYthing online. To my knowledge it goes:

God and the world loves a fighter
    Not the man who lies down to die, but fights likes hell to live
    Underestimate no man, revile no thing
    For every man has his hour, and every thing has it's place
    So when you get to the end of your rope, tie a know and hold on
    Remember, there is always someone to take your place
    Bravo, bravo, bravecio! Be brave my man
    For a winner never quits, and a quiter never wins
    But I will take you to the end

• Laura Burns (10/2/2014 3:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I have seen the first part of this quotation, a little different, attributed to Andy Smith, who was the coach at the University of California: God and the world love a fighter, not the man who lies do ... more

• Rookie - 547 Points Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip (10/1/2014 2:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I heard that Swami Vivekananda had written many poems but could not trace out the book where to get, I therefore, request you to kindly advice me where to get the book in India.

• Veteran Poet - 4,516 Points Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black (10/1/2014 1:17:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for the Homeric Hymns and the Orphic Hymns..

• Laura Burns (10/1/2014 12:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Andrew Lang's translation of the Homeric Hymns is on Project Gutenberg. Thomas Taylor's translation of the Orphic Hymns is on the sacred-texts web site.

• Rookie - 0 Points Gene Miller (9/30/2014 11:05:00 AM) Post reply

I am looking for information on the poet Patricia Palmer, She wrote " I Am An American Soldier" .

[Hata Bildir]