Post more comments

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/28/2014 10:32:00 AM) Post reply

I am very interested to read the collected poems of Seamus haney if I get a chance to read them since I experience it as the poems of common man, the farmer and tilling masses and experiences of the great poet in real life situations.

• Kerry Graham (6/25/2014 11:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm moving to New York from California soon & I'll be leaving my 6 year old niece who I am very close too. I'm looking for a poem to give to her about being far away in distance but still awlays close in our hearts. I'd perfer it be somewhat easy in language for a child, but she is very advanced for 6 so it doesn't have to be a poem written for children. I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Replies for this message:
    • Debra Robinson (6/27/2014 5:30:00 PM) Post reply

Here's a little something for you both. Moving Day The big day will come soon, it’s called moving day And I will be going to a state far, far away. But you should not worry because we are apar ... more

• Gangadharan Nair Pulingat (6/25/2014 10:42:00 AM) Post reply

I am looking for Tomas Transformer's selected poems in Poem hunter com. and if it is there please help to find it.

• Ava Carmel (6/24/2014 6:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi
    I'm looking for a poem by Kabir. All I have is a translation from Hebrew into English:
    " Pure love grows high in the tree tops. The devoted climb and eat from it with joy. But there is also a lower form love, snatched from the earth and eaten with rot and filth.”

I need the original translation into English version for a book I'm translating. If anyone can point me to the original I would greatly appreciate it.
    Ava

• Laura Burns (6/25/2014 1:50:00 PM) Post reply

There is a Kabir grooup on Yahoo; you might want to contact or join them.

• Georgia M (6/24/2014 11:26:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi, I'm looking for a poem by Mary Oliver that I read a long time ago. She talks about her desire to have a place or a house in the woods where she can be alone and at peace. Then she realizes that the kind of peace she desires is akin to death, and she realizes importance of life in all it's fullness and lack of peace sometimes. Sorry, I can't remember any specific lines.

• Kerry Graham (6/26/2014 3:20:00 AM) Post reply

Sounds like you may be thinking of " A Dream of Trees" by Mary Oliver

• Richard C (6/23/2014 12:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read a poem a few months ago and can't for the life of me remember its name, I imagine it must be fairly well known as I don't really read poetry and yet it somehow crossed my path. I also think there was an award given recently for a translation of it. I don't believe it is a modern poem.

In terms of content, the gist was that death can't be escaped. The poem told a story of a farmer (...I think) who tries to escape death by skipping village, however at the end death finds him in this new village and, in fact, was always heading to that village to find him.

I've been searching online for the last few hours and can't find anything with these morsels of information, hopefully this is something someone has read?I am not after a particular translation, any will do!

• Laura Burns (6/23/2014 4:08:00 PM) Post reply

That sounds like " Appointment in Samarra, " a story by Somerset Maugham based on an old fable.

• Steph C (6/22/2014 2:00:00 PM) Post reply

I read this poem once in high school it was in our english book and it was a solider laying injured in the mud and when the medic crew passes him they tel him to wait until morning light for help does anyone know the poem I am talking of?

• R. L. Davis (6/18/2014 2:26:00 PM) Post reply

Found this hand-written poem by my paternal Aunt undated. Thought perhaps it was a James Whitcomb Riley poem but have had no success.
    Title: I Dis Guess Dat I'll Be Dood
    I hasn't seen many a tristmas yet,
    But dere awful dood, you bet,
    Cause mama says it brings you toys,
    What's meant for all de goodest boys,
    She says Santa's good to you
    He'll bring you things - dat's what he'll do,

There is more but I hope that this is enough for someone to help me.

• Lana Massey (6/16/2014 4:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Hello whoever is there,
    I need a lot of help,
    my big sister is getting married,
    I wanted to write a pre wedding poem to her
    to let her know i love her, im proud of her and all that.
    I want to include our childhood and the future ahead
    If anyone out there has anything i could use or wants to write one plese let me know, i would really appreciate it.

• Debra Robinson (6/22/2014 8:28:00 AM) Post reply

If you can send me a message and tell me a bit about you, her, your relationship, something that really stands out in your mind (memory or event) that really solidified your relationship or where you ... more

• Rose Angel (6/16/2014 9:02:00 PM) Post reply

My sister, of you I am forever so very proud, Even if sometimes I don't say my inner thoughts aloud, You and I have been through thick and thin, Taught each other about life; how to lose and win ... more

• Bill Hewitt (6/16/2014 2:03:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My grandmother's last entry in her diary before her death in 1906 contains this poem (or part of one) . She wrote that it was " from Golden Moments" . I would like to identify the full poem and poet. Was Golden Moments a compilation of poems or a magazine or??

Oh! This wild desire to see him
    God subdue within my breast
    For it racks me into torture
    And my soul hath need of rest

• Laura Burns (6/17/2014 9:49:00 AM) Post reply

I have the poem, not the poet. It was published, without attribution, in The National Magazine, July 1857, in New York. I do not know what Golden Moments was. OLD LETTERS There's a package of ol ... more

[Hata Bildir]