Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie - 0 Points Jen Johnson (12/7/2014 9:25:00 PM) Post reply
    1 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hi!
    I am looking for a poem that I read last year and cannot stop thinking about. I will try not to be too vague. I think it may have been published in the New Yorker. It is a romantic, albeit eccentric, poem about a record store and it discusses various musicians and includes the record numbers (ie.039844) . There is something in the middle about someone taking her pants off, and then it ends with something like " They still have that album on vinyl." and then theres another record number. I LOVE THIS POEM PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!
    -JJ

• Rookie - 5 Points John Mee (12/2/2014 10:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello all,
    Can anybody help me identify the title or author of this poem?
    I only have the following three lines!
    “The woolball of the chaffinch,
    The roofed mossy house of the wren,
    The impregnable castle of the magpie, ”

Thanks in advance.

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Rookie - 5 Points John Edwards (11/23/2014 5:08:00 PM) Post reply

I am seeking the name of the author of a poem with the opening stanza:

Bring the sweets of love, my love
    the oil is consumed
    the leaves descend in whirling array
    the last shriek of non-essential
    existence.

• Rookie - 74 Points Nirmesh And Raman (11/17/2014 5:44:00 AM) Post reply

Looking for a poem in Hindi Which was a very funny poem. It was about a family going to a wadding and experiencing the mess.......

• Rookie - 0 Points Serena Penman (11/17/2014 4:14:00 AM) Post reply

Looking for a poem about a middle-aged woman, Mrs?, who was killed during World War 2 while shopping in some small West country (I think) town, by a Luftwaffe bomber dumping his unused load before flying back over the Channel.
    I think the poet is a woman.
    I think the poem's called " Mrs (whatever her name is - something 3 syllabic and faintly quaint, like Enticott or Arbuthnot) "
    The poem contains descriptions of her clothes and shopping, and the conjecture that Mrs?is probably rather like the young pilot's mother. (I thimk.)
    Can anybody help?

• Rookie - 18 Points Saparonia Holliday (11/15/2014 6:52:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I did my GCE O levels in 1970 (a 2 year course) and for English Literature we studied poems from a book of modern poetry. i have lost the name of the book and the school don't know what it was.
    There were a couple of poems that i loved, i wondered if you recognise them and would be able to tell me their authors or titles.

1/ it was written by a Polish author who i think might have been anonymous, Each verse ended with the words:
    " Each night, i look up to the stars for a witness."

2/ This was a post war poem, (perhaps vietnam) , written by an English or US author. it described " Men in Green" they were full of life, going somewhere and they meet other men coming the other way, returning.

3/ it was a poem about horses who were standing like statues.

all these poems were fairly short, no more than a page.

it would mean so much if you can recall or locate any of them for me, or if you know anyone who would be able to tell me the title of the collection

• Rookie - 18 Points Laura Burns (11/15/2014 10:22:00 AM) Post reply

I think your second poem is probably " Men in Green" by the Australian poet David Campbell. You can find it on the Poemhunter site.

• Rookie - 0 Points Patricia Daly (11/9/2014 9:27:00 PM) Post reply

I am trying to locate the title and author of a poem I read about a year ago. I cannot recall any lines from the poem, but I recall a vivid image: fish swimming beneath the clear surface of the sea and looking at the sky. I think it might be a Mary Oliver poem, but I have had no success in finding this imagery in her poems. I appreciate any help in locating this poem.

• Rookie - 17 Points Domnic Duplessis (11/6/2014 2:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My posts keep on disappearing and re-appearing.

I am looking for a poem that ends something like this.

And if through the gates(bars) of hell, they face in heaven i See, I will know tiss(its) well.

• Rookie - 17 Points Domnic Duplessis (11/6/2014 2:15:00 PM) Post reply

Hi there, I am desperate to find a poem that I did at school 30 years ago. It was some or other love poem. I just know the last line was something like:

And if through the bars(gates) of hell, thy face in heaven I see, I will know tiss well." The person told someone they loved that they would go to hell if they knew if would make the other person be saved.

PLEASE.

• Rookie - 10 Points Don Taylor (11/4/2014 11:59:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I posted this but it seems to have disappeared! I'm looking for the poem containing these lines. " wanting wisdom, void of light (might be flight) who shall nerve heroic boys to hazard all in freedom's fight?" Seems like it ends with, " when duty wispers low, thou must, the youth replies, I can."
    Thanks!

[Hata Bildir]