Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Vilde Bruland (11/5/2012 3:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem, and hope someone can help me. This might be the full poem, but I think there's a few more lines, and there's a few mistakes in there as well. I am trying to find out who wrote it.

The sun burst
    a million golden sparkles fell upon the earth
    and then the night came
    now men are fighting each other for a spark of light
    yes
    now men are fighting each other for a spark of light

I can't remember the rest. Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (11/6/2012 10:39:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I found this (without the author, said to be written during the Russian Revolution) on another site: The sun burst And a million golden splinters Fell upon the earth. Then night came, Now ... more

• Gillian Shipman (11/5/2012 12:04:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I am trying to find a poem I learned in Primary School in England in the mid 1950's. It was about a child, possibly in India, who was weaving a carpet which took years to complete, which her mother then sold to a merchant for 10 rupees. I remember part of the middle of the poem describing what the girl was weaving...

" All the changing light of colours
    And the sunset gleam ofspires
    Flashing in a topaz heaven
    When the long day tires"

And the poem ends:

" And the merchant, smiling gravely,
    Gave the mother 10 rupees"

I do hope somebody can help me locate this poem. Thank you.

• Christine Muir (11/2/2012 5:43:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I am searching for a poem learnt by my mother in the late 1930's/40's at her elocution classes. It is about a man buying a wedding present: at first he considers buying a grand piano but ends up just buying a card. Would like to recite it at my daughter's wedding. Can anyone help me?

• Shivani Misra (11/1/2012 12:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hello people!
    Please read my 2 new poems
    1. With tears flooding my pillow.
    2. Within me.
    Thanks a lot. It would be lovely to receive your views through comments or messages. Thanks.
    God Bless :)

• Andrius K (10/31/2012 2:41:00 PM) Post reply Stage

**PLEASE HELP ON HALLOWEEN**

I've been looking for this poem off an on for over 5 years and haven't been able to find it. I ran across it randomly on the internet and have no idea who it's by or when its from - it could be a complete amateur, for all I know.

It's in the vein of Poe's The Raven. It's about a writer who escapes to the cabin for solitude to write. He hears a noise in the basement, and when he investigates the sound, he discovers that its a demon (for lack of a better word) . The demon has no name (that I can remember) , he is older than time and tells the writer he is there to bring the world back to darkness. When the writer asks why is he the first to know, the demon tells him that he's not the first, but the last.

It's a terrifying and haunting story, and would be perfect for Halloween. Has anyone heard of it?

• Gulsher John (10/31/2012 9:06:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Prophetic vision
    Night
    With a thousand sparkling eyes
    Watching the souls
    Wailing and cries
    Deject, suppress, and Distress,
    Far away from Heaven`s bliss
    Heaven sent many a time
    The mighty souls with glowing mind
    To teach their fellow men
    The lesson of love and hate for sin
    The mercy to save
    Men from false crave
    But to our lewd and hatred hearts
    In vain all thy Holy taught

• Chris O'gorman (10/30/2012 4:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi There, I'm hoping somebody will assist me in finding a long lost poem written by Nathaniel Hawthorne. The poem was the highlight of a school recital back in the 1960s but the only line that I remember is ` The pot bellied spider did not stir, nor...`, I'm afraid that's all I can recall, though I'm sure the rest will be instantly recognisable once I get the chance to read it through. I remember it being a long work with many verses and hard work to learn at 14 yrs old, but I'd love to find it. I really hope one of you can help and will look forward to hearing from you, Thankyou.....Chris.

• Margaret Haig (10/30/2012 5:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I would like someone to explain what haiku and free potrey is and what type is called when 2lines rhyme, then the next 2 lines rhyme, and also where every 2nd line rhymes and every 1and 3rd line rhyme lines. I'm looking for a poem that not sure of the writer, but it was something like the words my mother told me, about a child beng told in the early 30s. Things a child needed to know. And I would love to write children's short stories,
    Where it's animals telling stories, or the little dog private detective. Which I wrote 4yrs ago. And was wondering if any free competitions for writers.
    Meg(Margaret Haig)

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (10/30/2012 11:09:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Haiku is a 17-syllable poem, in three lines, usually containing a nature reference. Free verse does not contain rhyme (in English) , except sometimes sporadically, nor have a consistent meter. The rhy ... more

• Rex Copperfield (10/25/2012 8:11:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hey I'm a extremely desperate poet desperate for feedback and instructions tips hints criticism and most desperate for betterment no matter how good the cause desperate isn't a good look....please help me out! Messages comments or just reading my poems flood my inbox with criticisms comment with many tips hints suggestions and praise (if you find praise worthy things) please help! !

• Rex Copperfield (10/25/2012 8:11:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hey I'm a extremely desperate poet desperate for feedback and instructions tips hints criticism and most desperate for betterment no matter how good the cause desperate isn't a good look....please help me out! Messages comments or just reading my poems flood my inbox with criticisms comment with many tips hints suggestions and praise (if you find praise worthy things) please help! !

[Hata Bildir]