Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Bronze Star - 5,986 Points Frank Avon (9/17/2014 2:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I think the poet is David Henderson; the poem is entitled Egyptian Book of the Dead (or perhaps this is a section of a longer poem) . I'm fairly certain that I have chased down the right poet, but I cannot locate the book (or review) in which this poem was published (probably in the 1960s or a bit earlier) . Can anyone give me a lead?

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie - 187 Points Zoila T. Flores (9/14/2014 2:37:00 PM) Post reply

NO! I have not read neither one. However, I can suggest your to take a look of one of my beautiful, extraordinary, and impressing piece of poetry called " I couldn't Kiss my Lovely Crush" by Zoila T. Flores. Now, Greetings to your father.

• Rookie - 0 Points Erin Williams (9/14/2014 1:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I was looking for William Faulkner's " A Rose for Emily." Because of its length, is it not considered a poem?I am not sure if the work is classified as a story, poem or something else. If it doesn't have the criteria for this site, I would still like to discuss it. Has anyone else read this piece?What did you think of it?

• Rookie - 0 Points Laura Burns (9/14/2014 5:52:00 PM) Post reply

It is not considered a poem because it is a short story, not a poem.

• Rookie - 0 Points Meridith Osterfeld (9/12/2014 2:56:00 PM) Post reply

A group of us are looking for a poem from childhood. We would like help locating the poem and the poet.

We collective think the text is

" Now is August all too quickly getting set to go away,
    And it's hard to realize that she'll be here but one more day.
    Why...July was only yesterday, the day before was June.
    I have never known a summer to have slipped away so soon!

I remember when the summer was an almost endless space,
    And the schoolroom in September was an unfamiliar place
    Like a soul-disturbing memory of a vague, pre-natal pain
    That would now return forever (or til summer came again) .
    _________________________________________________(This line is eluding us...)
    Even sorrows fly like pleasures, only bores appear to lag.
    Swifter go the days and swifter; I suppose I’ll say at last
    That I never knew a lifetime that had slipped away so fast."

• Rookie - 6 Points Suzanne Jones (9/9/2014 2:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dear All, I'm looking for a poem for my Dad, he's in hospital and he's asked me to look. He said it was written after the time of Rudyard Kiplings The Last of the Light Brigade and was written in response to the money he made. He kept saying, 'We are the survivors'.
    I don't know if this rings a bell with someone or it's my Dad's confusion. Could someone make a suggestion?Thanks for your time.

• Rookie - 6 Points Laura Burns (9/10/2014 2:35:00 PM) Post reply

I am a little confused myself. Tennyson's " Charge of the Light Brigade" was a much more successful poem than Kipling's " Last of the Light Brigade, " which describes a visit by su ... more

• Rookie - 21 Points Tom Miele (9/9/2014 1:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Another one from Grandma (hopefully I have all of the pronouns right) ...

" Go see your father! , " was all that she said
    And he knew that she knew that his father was dead
    And she knew that he knew what she meant when she said,
    " Go see your father! "

• Rookie - 21 Points Tom Miele (9/9/2014 3:06:00 PM) Post reply

As best I recall, that is probably how she told it. It's funny how my brain has warped it over the years.

• Rookie - 21 Points Laura Burns (9/9/2014 2:02:00 PM) Post reply

There are numerous variants on this, which seems to be by the old favorite, " Anonymous." Here is one: " Go to father, " she said, When he asked her to wed, And she knew th ... more

• Rookie - 5 Points Gudjon Tryggvason (9/8/2014 2:24:00 PM) Post reply

Hello - I was watching a movie by Everett Lewis called Luster (2002) with poetry by Dennis Cooper. At the very end of the movie there is a voice over reading of a text and i'd very much appreciate it if somebody could assist me with identifying that poem or fragment of text where it might come from.

i've included a little transcript of what i gathered

we're so skinny Jeff's smiles as they turn to look after stripping. like two sides of the sam coin steve answers to reach a feel, i love you jeff says and Steve's takes it in and answers forever but he means years of friendship, joint past, busts shared, from high school to junior college, their jobs and early twenties

any information is appreciated.

• Rookie - 21 Points Tom Miele (9/8/2014 11:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My wife's grandmother used to quote this:

" It's not the 'eavy, 'eavy 'auling that's so 'ard on the 'orses 'oofs, it's the 'eavy, 'eavy pounding on the 'ard 'ighway."

Does anyone have an idea it's source?

• Rookie - 21 Points Laura Burns (9/8/2014 1:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Caption of a Punch cartoon from around 1849.: “It ain’t the ‘eavy ‘auling wot ‘urts the orses’s ‘ooves; hit’s the ‘ammer, ‘ammer, ‘ammer on the ‘ard ‘ighway! ” This according to Bill Peschel's annotat ... more

• Gold Star - 12,291 Points Mohammad Skati (9/6/2014 3:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for a poem for Sir Thomas Wyatt that talks about the sea....?Do he have a poem like this?I need help.

• Freshman - 2,113 Points Pranab K Chakraborty (9/4/2014 11:14:00 PM) Post reply

Looking for a poem written by heartless intelligence. A poem not any critical manifesto except those which lastly surrenders to dream at large.

[Hata Bildir]