Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Laura Stenhouse (11/30/2009 5:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hi everyone, I am looking for a poem i read in a book years ago after i had given birth to my son, it was a poem which descibed the feeling you have when your baby is given to you, i remember little bits of the poem, here they are if it jogs your memory at all please let me know! !

'I heard her before i saw her.....from naught recognition grew like a fine fillament between us......i swung in living darkness as i began the deepest listening of my life'

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Laura Burns (11/30/2009 3:00:00 PM) Post reply

That is from Rosamond Lehmann's book A Swan in the Evening: Fragments of an Inner Life.

• Rookie Desikan Srinivasan (11/28/2009 10:58:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem on fallen soldier, wherein it is beautifully narrated that the decisions the soldier took that led to his death was influenced by all the people he has met in his life.

• Rookie shacarri .whitaker (11/28/2009 9:34:00 PM) Post reply

i'm looking for a poem that has to do w/ a that once robbed bank safes and the he stopped once he met the daughter of the bank owner and he married her and then she got locked in the safe and he was the only person that knew how to get her out.

• Rookie Misti Alvarez (11/27/2009 7:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for a poem I heard on NPR. It was read by a man this last past anniversary of 9/11. He had recited it originally a few days after 9/11 to a group in NYC. The author (I believe) has an Eastern European last name (may start with the letter M) and its possible the poem's title had the word Parish or Perish in it. Any ideas? *the above information may or may not be accurate. Any help finding this is greatly appreciated!

• Rookie Mukesh Sahu (11/25/2009 6:09:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for poems on Forgive, Forgiveness. I want to welcome her by forgetting all her did. I want to forgive her for not believing me. I want to forgive her for leaving me alone when I needed her most. Because I always loved her...

• Rookie Simon Eastman (12/6/2009 9:17:00 AM) Post reply

I'm noot sure why you make me think of Shakespeare's sonnets look at 29,30 and 116 'Let Me Not to the Marriage of True Minds'. It's not quite what you were asking for butit maybe what you want. Best ... more

• Rookie Barbara Henderson (11/23/2009 4:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I'm looking for a poem by Nikki Giovanni entitled 'Daddies'. It was written back in the late '70s (I think) .

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/24/2009 3:01:00 PM) Post reply

Could this be 'Mommies/Daddies' instead of just 'Daddies'? 'Mommies/Daddies' is on her CD 'The Reason I Like Chocolate.'

• Rookie Bernice Grundy (11/22/2009 8:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The poem I am searching for was I think written by a female architect. I heard it some time ago on a programme on Radio 3?

'eat the stars' is the only thing I remember. It must have made a big impression for me to remember this so I would like to track down the rest.

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/22/2009 2:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Could it have been this? Not by an architect but by an astronomer. ANTIDOTES TO FEAR OF DEATH Sometimes as an antidote To fear of death I eat the stars - Rebecca Elsen, astronomer (1960-1999)

• Rookie J J Peers (11/20/2009 1:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

As a young girl my grandmother recited a poem she called 'The Death of the Drunkard's Son'. I have searched extensively and have had no luck in locating this piece. She was born in 1895 so I think the poem is quite old. It may not even be the correct title, either. Has anyone heard of this one?

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/20/2009 2:47:00 PM) Post reply

Lyrics to an old country song called 'The Drunkard's Son' may be using this poem. Check it out at: http: //www.metrolyrics.com/the-drunkards-son-lyrics-hank-snow.html

• Rookie Sal Mandford (11/19/2009 5:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well.. I have searched high and low on the internet and cannot find this and I know it was read at Linda McCartney's funeral by David Bailey.. It was printed in the newspaper (England... I dont know which one.. I cut it out but sice lost it) but I do remember that the title was 'Lyric' by Spike Milligan.. I do also know the words by heart

Why then am I looking? you may ask.. Well.. I 'd just love to know a) why it isn't on the net anywhere, and b) what is the story behind it if anyone can help I would be really happy, I have been looking years! I even wrote to Paul McCartney's agents, years ago, but got no reply... The poem?

her it is..

Lyric.. by Spike Milligan

It was Summer
    On the lake hung a golden haze
    It was Summer
    It was one of those endless days
    So we talked
    through a field of clover
    and then over a sheepspun hill
    It seemed it would last forever
    And it did until
    Came the evening
    We swung on a garden gate
    I was seven and you were eight
    And we watched the stars suspended
    Walking home down an apple lane
    Me and Rosie
    A doll, a daisy chain
    On an evening that would never come again.

Lovely isn't it? very evocative. PLEASE can you tell me anything about it?
    many thanks! and kind regards to everyone.. I have just come across this site

sal

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/19/2009 7:47:00 PM) Post reply

I found it on the Internet at: http: //www.colinandrews.net/Quotations-Lyrik.html also http: //www.sagazone.co.uk/blogs/detail/14253/ but neither person who posted it knows the story behind it.

• Rookie Willow Griffiths (11/18/2009 2:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read this poem ages and ages ago, it became one of my favourites but I can't for the life of me remember the author, title or how it started (usefull, I know) . Part of what I do remember went something like 'you'll find me attractive, but I'm bad, a poisoned chalice. Hatters did and they went mad, ask Alice. Alchemists throughout the years have been besotted by me, and understandably, I promise gold, immortality, eternal youth'. It goes on. I would appreciate it so much if someone knew where to find the whole thing, I've been looking for ages!

• Rookie Laura Burns (11/18/2009 7:53:00 PM) Post reply

It is the 'Hg' section in the poem 'The Elements' by Roger McGough. You can find a PDF at: www.mcsoh.org/mhs/science/cleary/...19/The%20Elements%20lyrics.pdf

[Hata Bildir]