Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Patricia Leach (7/7/2009 10:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I'm looking for a dark gothic poem that involves LOVE and SACRIFICE but then knowing that in the end they are still unloved and betrayed by the other in the end.

• Don Morrison (7/7/2009 10:40:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Help! I want to use this poem in a piece I'm writing, but I don't know & can't find the author. The poem is reminiscent of James Whitcomb Riley's work, late 19th Century, early 20th Indiana poet. I can't find it in his works. Here's the poem or part that I've heard:

'If there ain't George Brown,
    A-sittin' under that tree.
    Whatcha doin' there, George, sleepin'?
    Nope, just a-waitin' for the dinner bell to ring, I be.'

Can anyone ID the poet or name of the poem? Thanks, Don

• Aekg Navrilith (7/7/2009 1:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

hello, im looking for 'love' by billy collins so i can add it to my favourits but i can't find it. please can someone help, im new here and only just starting to get the hang of how things work. thanks, Navrilith.

• Casey K (7/5/2009 10:01:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I am looking for poems that are good for choral readings...like 'Casey at the Bat'. This is for an adult readers' theater group. All suggestions appreciated.
    Casey

• Tania Ferguson (7/2/2009 11:33:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Hi. I am looking for a poem that I read many years ago, and only have vague memories of its' contents. Though I remember it to be very touching, and it may be suitable to read at my brothers wedding. It was about an old man who writes a letter to, and/or gives his wife a rose, on their wedding anniversary. It is not until the end of the poem that you discover that his wife has passed. I would also appreciate any suggestions on more quirky, unconventional poems to read during a civil wedding ceremony. Thank you for any ideas.

• Rick Eller (7/1/2009 9:21:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I am looking for a poem for which I have not the author's name or title of the poem. The only line I can think of is 'loose the baleful lion snap down the frosty bars of its cage'. Anyoine know that one?

• Allen Henriette (7/1/2009 1:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

i am looking for a poem a certain mister wrote for a Anne Boleyn a disgraced Queen of England.the guy got arrested for it.but i forgot the name

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (7/2/2009 4:52:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Probabl Thomas Wyatt. Is this the poem? Whoso list to hunt, I know where is an hind, But as for me, alas, I may no more, The vain travail hath wearied me so sore. I am of them that farthest c ... more

• Jeanne Fiedler (6/30/2009 5:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I am looking for a poem about a goldfinch I wrote in here called, 'Soaring'. Could you tell me where it is?

Thank you so much.

Jeanne Fiedler

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Kathy Hartman (6/26/2009 9:54:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I have been looking for a poem that my father said he learned in school. All he can remember is 'you're right my boy/lift up your head/and look like a gentleman, sir' or something like that. He couldn't remember exactly. Any ideas?

• Kathy Hartman (6/30/2009 10:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Thank you for your reply, Laura. I will look for the poem.

• Laura Burns (6/27/2009 11:00:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Could find only a snippet view of this poem in a Google book search; however, it is evidently printed in full in Songs and Sayings of an Ulster Childhood by Alice Kane.

• Lynne Davy (6/26/2009 10:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I'm looking for a poem I must have read 30 years ago. It was a heart opening story of a mother bat caring for her young. There was some reference to her soft fur...It really touched me.

Any ideas?

• Laura Burns (6/26/2009 2:35:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Is this it? The Bat Poet By Randall Jarrell A bat is born Naked and blind and pale His mother makes a pocket of her tail And catches him. He clings to her long fur By his thumbs and toe ... more

[Hata Bildir]