Learn More

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Anish Modi (6/20/2009 11:33:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

hi,

looking for a poem from rabindranath tagore, if i remember correctly.

it's story is related to a prostitute and a monk. the prostitute in her youth asks the monk for love, but he replies that he would be with her when she really needs him. in the end when the prostitute is sick and thrown out of the village, the monk comes to her and serves her till she dies.

a beautiful poem with a lovely message. maybe it's called 'upanishad', not sure.

would be grateful if somebody posts a link to that poem.

thanks in advance. anish.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Seema Parveen (8/21/2012 12:48:00 PM) Post reply

hey its Upagupta by Rabindra Nath Tagore.... UPAGUPTA Upagupta, the disciple of Buddha, lay sleep in the dust by the city wall of Mathura. Lamps were all out, doors were all shut, and stars ... more

• Rookie I Am Charlie (6/25/2009 10:22:00 AM) Post reply

i looked around, but upanishad sounds more like a series/collection of poems, rather.

• Rookie Michael Ahern (6/19/2009 9:27:00 PM) Post reply

Am seeking assistance. Either I want to learn how to open the poems I have selected OR I wish to de-register and remove my personal data from the site.
    I understand this is not a poetry question but there is nowhere to post my request and I have had no response from the Contact Us page. Thank you.

• Rookie - 0 Points Sam Radio (6/19/2009 5:45:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hy all! sorry this is so vague I'm looking for a poem about 'wage slavery' it mentions work / life is like being in gaol (jail) . The thing is locked in my head and I can't even remember a line I think it was writen back in the early 1900's by a famous writer. Any ideas befor I go crazy please.

• Rookie - 0 Points Laura Burns (6/20/2009 10:57:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Is this it? : Wages by D. H. Lawrence The wages of work is cash. The wages of cash is want more cash. The wages of want more cash is vicious competition. The wages of vicious competi ... more

• Rookie Happy Days (6/13/2009 4:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hey, I'm looking for a poem thats about not taking anything less than everything. taking it all. then it changes to how he'll give it all away for like a day or something with someone but before that there's really powerfulness on the 'taking it all' bit.

• Rookie Happy Days (6/13/2009 4:19:00 AM) Post reply

to all who were wondering. I found it! No, I'll not take the half... No, I'll not take the half, Give me the whole sky! The far-flung earth! Seas and rivers and mountain avalanches- All th ... more

• Rookie John M (6/7/2009 3:03:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem involving a person who walks to a fence and observes two horses mating. The poem focuses primarily on the female as she teases the male, leads him on, trots a few feet away, etc. as tough it were an art. The language is rich with sensual allegory and is obviously supposed to be extended to humans. I have been looking for this for a long time, but have not come across it since I first stumbled across it. I would greatly appreciate any help.
    Thank you!

• Rookie Ron Wilson (6/15/2009 12:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

You're looking for 'A Blessing' by James Wright http: //www.poemhunter.com/poem/a-blessing/ The penultimate line is considered one of the great line breaks in poetry.

• Rookie M Mm (6/3/2009 6:04:00 AM) Post reply

DOes anyone know a poem, written by a man, regretting all the evils done by men, particularly against women. The final line of it goes something like 'Mens' crimes......and I feel shamed.' It's a very powerful poem and makes the point that not all men are potential rapists - a point I need to make to a 19 year old who has had a bad experience.

Thanks for any help.

• Rookie Letty Hidalgo (6/2/2009 2:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I heard a poem on a podcast a few years ago and i'm having trouble finding who the author is. the poem goes as follows:
    'I think about you a lot now, up there in heaven, with the angles whose hair you get tangled up in. Silly how jealous of them I am'
    if anyone knows the author i would really appreciate you letting me know

• Rookie Susan W-r (5/31/2009 11:11:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem which has been with me for years since I was a child. I thought it was written by Edgar A. Guest, but now I am not sure. It was about a man and his dog who thought the world of him. I thought the title was something like My Love Affair with Sassy. I have been looking for it all over the internet but no luck. I hope you will help me with this. The ending is rather surprising as the poem is not about the dog in the beginning.

• Rookie J P (5/27/2009 4:53:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem that we had to memorize in Science way back in 1977 or 1978. It goes like this:

The Kingdom of the Animal
    The Kingdom of the Animal whose phyla number ten
    can easily be mastered by quiet study in your den
    Each animal in nature is classified for you
    It's system of taxonomy, you can easily persue

In phylum one the protozoa is distinguised from them all
    because life's many functions act within a one celled wall

In Phyla two periphera the warm sea sponge appears,
    its perforated body often serves us through the years.

The Hydrochoral(sp?) jellyfish you'll find in phylum three
    Celenterata is its name or prickly to thee.

etc.....

• Rookie Emily M F (5/23/2009 5:14:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem that I read several months ago. It is written by a woman and it ends with something along the lines of I don't want to look back on a life that was not well lived... something along those lines.

Thanks!

[Hata Bildir]